[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /g/ approve of NFC and MST (magnetic secure transmission)?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: samsung-pay.jpg (51 KB, 1200x674) Image search: [Google]
samsung-pay.jpg
51 KB, 1200x674
Does /g/ approve of NFC and MST (magnetic secure transmission)?

I've been using both with my s7 edge and it's been hilarious with the cashiers.
>>
>>53759600
>BEAMING YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION for anyone to obtain
>>
I hate how they remove basic shit that's on everything else like the radio (fucking S7 doesn't have a radio) for this dumb shit.
>>
>>53759683
Why do you need a radio when you have the internet?
>>
>>53759698
Because I don't have Wi-Fi everywhere. There's no need to throw out basic functions like a radio just because casuals pay out the ass for pointless 4G.
>>
>>53759600
>Does /g/ approve of NFC and MST (magnetic secure transmission)?
Yes.
>>
>>53759721
I guess I'm just not too worried since my carrier let's me have unlimited fast video and music.

Socks for net neutrality, though.
>>
>>53759600
Do you honestly trust this system to be even remotely secure?
>>
>>53759783
Have they implemented any sort of encryption between the reader and the phone?

While a vendor-approved certificate system would be fine, on-the-fly one-time pad aesthetic encryption between the reader and the phone would be amazing.
>>
>>53759821
One-time pad handshake and AES encryption*
>>
>>53759762
Thank you based tmobile
>>
>>53759821
For MST I don't see any real purpose. You need to activate it on the phone and magnetic strips themselves are incredibly insecure, cloning a magnetic strip is a piece of cake.

For NFC there is plenty of security, for one thing it has to conform with the standards for credit card NFC transactions.
>>
>>53759932
>security
Like beaming your card information for everybody to see?
>>
>>53760160
NFC or MST?

For NFC the range is extremely short (10 to 15cm as governed by the power out of the reading device and must be activated by the phone beforehand before it will respond with the data).
And for MST the range is even shorter, again must be activated beforehand on the device.

It's not like you're trying to beam it from across a room, or that anyone within the room would be able to intercept it.
They would literally have to be between your phone and the terminal to intercept it.
>>
>>53759600
>credit card on your phone
>secure

kek
>>
Contactless EMV (NFC) with a secure element, yes. MST no.
>>
>>53759618
>>53759783
if you knew how it works youd know its pretty safe

not going to explain to you idiots look it up if you want
>>
>>53759600
>touchwizz
>>
>rooting phone permanently disables these features
Nah, fuck off.
>>
>>53763137
what? why?
>>
>>53764400
I'm not him, and don't know how true is this, but if I had to guess, it'd be because people don't have portable cc-stealing machines, as in, so they don't steal CCs then put the info on the phone and use it to buy stuff.
>>
Honestly, I hate Samsung phones, and I still think MST is the best solution for the current state of things. If everyone would just upgrade to EMV and NFC enabled terminals already.
>>
>>53763137
"You have admin access on your device? Malware must have caused that. We've got you covered."
Why don't you just factory reset my phone whenever some app asks for permissions, Google.
>>
>>53759600
Been using it with my Note 5 for months now. It is very convenient. I'm waiting for restaurants to have remote card/phone readers that they can bring out to the table or on table order and paying systems like you see at Red Robins.
>>
>>53764400
Rooting permanently triggers Knox on Samsung phones, disabling Samsung Pay, so Samsung can't be considered liable if something happens to your phone/information as a result of breaking their security by rooting.

Android Pay likewise does not work on custom ROMs and under certain conditions, for the same reason. This is in contrast to the original Google Wallet which worked just damn fine. They also made this change without warning, when most people had the app update automatically, and have refused to shift their stance on it since.

I don't need these companies forcing me to choose one or the other, and locking me out of features I paid for. If I want to break security on my device, let me live with the (unlikely) consequences.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.