[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /g/ hate ubuntu? it works
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4
Why does /g/ hate ubuntu?

it works
>>
>>53756872
This. It just fucking works.
Why does /g/ hate it?
>can easily remove amazon bloat
>>
>>53756872
>>53756890
Probably because it's for normies.
>>
>>53756909
well i could install arch right now. but I am worried it will fuck up muh windows 10 dual boot somehow

Just not in mood to deal with that. But it probably wouldn't
>>
Windows level spyware. If you're happy with being spied on, you might as well use Windows.
>>
>>53756872
It feels slow and I hate apt.
Ill be trying 1604 once betas over all the same.
>>
>>53756872
We don't hate Ubuntu, OP. It's just that it has some problems that are not present in other distributions. Dist-upgrades tend to break most of the time. Combine that with low release life-cycles and you get either outdated software when using the LTS version or a need to reinstall your system every 6 months. Also, my observations are that Ubuntu has some customizations on the system level that make it incompatible with a lot of software outside the repositories or with common xorg tweaks.

Apart from that, adding custom repositories with PPA is a complete unmaintained mess.
>>
>>53756872
/g/ Hates Ubuntu unity, if you change the DE you will be fine
>>
>>53756909
would you want me to take hours installing arch or a couple of minutes installing an OS?
>>
>>53757155
Why are you implying this is the only os that takes a couple of minutes?
>>
>>53756872
> Ubuntu + Cinnamon
Congratulations, you went full retard.
>>
>>53756872
good stepping stone for me, nothing wrong with ubuntu all in taste I guess I just like pacman
>>
unity is pretty bad ASS but i haven't tried 16.04 unity. i've heard its better. ubuntu logo is sexy
>>
Because according to /g/, simply running an OS should be a constant uphill battle where if you type one wrong command you lose 3 weeks of work (not actual work though, just the time you put into setting up the OS)
>>
>>53757298
>one wrong command 3 weeks
kek
>>
oh yea check em
>>
>>53756872
> it works
yeah sure as long as you dont do anything

>be me trying ubuntu
>2 days in i decide to replace unity with kde
>no standalone kde package
>ok
>sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
>fails to pull in 1 dependency
>ok lets try something else
>sudo apt get install cinnamon
>fails because kubuntu is missig its dependency
>what
>sudo apt-get remove kubuntu-desktop
>does not work because its still missing its dependency
>literally have to uninstall every package that kubuntu has installed so far
>go back to arch because the package manager is not shit
>>
>>53756872
>numix circle
rofl

how original....
>>
>>53757559
fuck install arch lol
>>
>>53757618
wow speed read first 8 lines fell stupid see last one after post.
>>
>>53756872
wallpaper pls!
>>
>>53756872
> it works
That's why
>>
>>53756872
Anyone got this wallpaper?
>>
>>53756872
I don't hate it, I just think it isn't very good
>>
I don't hate it, I Ubuntu before but I Fedora now.
>>
>>53756872
pape?
>>
Because it's shit. If you want an "easy" distro, use Manjaro.
>>
I don't hate Ubuntu.
I just hate its package manager, apt
>>
>>53756872
It's shit. Install OpenBSD.
>>
>Implying anybody should trust Canonical after the Amazon thing
I know they're removing it, but I still don't think it's wise to trust a company like that
Also, why not just use Debian?
>>
>>53757185
OP here. That wasn't me

>>53757033
Yeah i sort of feel ya. but desu PPA seems a bit outdated lately since most are in repos

>>53757245
why so?
>>
>>53756890
>can easily remove amazon bloat
It shouldnt be there in the first place. That is why /g/ hates it.

Also, the basic install is like 1000+ packages. What the fuck are we doing that a basic Linux install is 1000+ packages. It should be 700 AT MOST.
>>
>>53760405
This
>>
So is mint shit too?
>>
>>53757559
Then install the missing dependencies fucktard.
>>
>>53756872
It's african, and came from Debian. So I'll stick with Debian.
>>
>>53757245
Are you sure you're not the retarded one?
>>
>>53761044
mint has been proven to ignore common security practices and their ISO's got hacked because of it.

Also, /g/ hates everything.
There are groups on /g/ that hate x and other groups which hate y.

collectively, /g/ hates both x and y
>>
Because apt. Just yesterday I tried to purge and reinstall a package, and shit completely got out of hand. Apt gave no reason why the dependencies couldn't be installed, and installing them individually worked out fine. I eventually had to make a bash script to explicitly install each dependency.

About a week ago, apt managed to somehow forget about a package I had just installed. The binaries were in place, dpkg even recognized it, but apt kept insisting that it wasn't removable or updatable.

On the other hand, I've been running the same Arch install (even through transferring it across 2 hard drives) for about 2.5 years now on my laptop, and have never come across any package issues despite all the shit I install from the AUR. People always seem to say that upgrades break Arch all the time, but I've had 3 systems stay pretty stable over long periods of time.
>>
>>53756872
Probably because it's easy to install and more bloated than Debian. There's also the amazon botnet, even though it was removed one year ago or so.
>>
>>53763475
It want removed until the beta dropped the other day. And it's ONLY removed on the beta, not any past releases.
>>
>>53757559
>look at me I"m retarded, I can't apt-get -f install!
>>
>>53758656
>>53757819
this might help
google: vk seamless_backgrounds

AND FUCK YOU FUCKING KEKISTAN WITH SHIT SPAMLIST
>>
>>53756872
nice desktop bro (not homo)
>>
File: pattern.png (431 KB, 389x584) Image search: [Google]
pattern.png
431 KB, 389x584
>>53757819
>>53758656
OP is filthy faggot. Here is a seamless pattern I've made out of screenshot.
>>
File: 1416259854115.jpg (72 KB, 1000x665) Image search: [Google]
1416259854115.jpg
72 KB, 1000x665
>>53756872
>Just works
So do Windows and OS X...
But /g/ is all about muh privacy
>neckbeards on /g/ love ECC and hot glue memory to their motherboards because of muh cold boot attack
When I found that out it cranked my sides to space
>>
>>53757185
>couple of minutes
Debian took like 12 minutes to install, when I last installed it on a old intel Mac
>>
>>53764347
Not the same guy, but I had this issue.
>apt-get -f install
>can't install package because KDE is missing dependencies.

This is why I use Manjaro.
>>
File: 8nLFCVP.png (51 KB, 657x527) Image search: [Google]
8nLFCVP.png
51 KB, 657x527
>>53756939
For me it is the other way around, win10 update fckd up grub, so now can't boot into arch
>>
I would probably use Ubuntu if it used something other than the shit stain of a package manager apt.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.