[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
trying to identify an old computer form my memory. it looked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: osborne1.jpg (50 KB, 550x344) Image search: [Google]
osborne1.jpg
50 KB, 550x344
trying to identify an old computer form my memory. it looked sorta like pic related except it was one solid piece and had a tape drive instead of a floppy drive.
>>
File: ibm5110-left.jpg (118 KB, 2479x1071) Image search: [Google]
ibm5110-left.jpg
118 KB, 2479x1071
sounds like an IBM 5100/5110

not quite a luggable, maybe a cartable
>>
>>53744821
thats the one
>>
>>53744670
>>53744821
How did people use those with those tiny screens? Looking them up on old-computers.com, the Osborne 1 in the OP has a 4.3" screen and the IBM 5110 in the second post has a 5" screen. Wouldn't that be extremely uncomfortable to use?
>>
>>53745030
id guess that the resolution was decent enough to see the text (which would explain part of the high price) or that it has a option for fewer columns per line for larger text (like with the apple II 40/80 column options with the appropriate card)
>>
>>53744821
Who are you, John Titor?
>>
File: iphone_3gs_hero_4x3.jpg (79 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
iphone_3gs_hero_4x3.jpg
79 KB, 800x450
>>53745030
>How did people use those with those tiny screens?

Hmmm...
>>
>>53745287
there's a pretty big difference in resolution anon
>>
>>53745351
>resolution on tiny screens somehow make the actual screen size bigger
I don't know what fucking mental retardation is behind this bullshit, but Apple sure seems to love using it to make money from dumbfucks.
>>
>>53745372
what are you talking about? the current trend of phones is making them fuckhuge
>>
>>53745399
>buying a phablet
>>
>>53745432
>implying i would ever buy something that would be uncomfortable to have in my pocket
>>
>>53745030
They were problem-solving tools not designed for their users to sit at for 8 hours a day dicking around on the internet, the 51xx series was designed primarily for engineers and scientists to be able to take their mainframe software where they couldn't take a mainframe, the Osborne 1 for businessmen to do the same with their applications.

The Osborne 1 in particular was criticized for its small display, but mostly because competitors like the Kaypro were producing systems with 9'' displays in the same form factor. In the end, it didn't really matter for shit for a lot of information processing jobs.

>>53745351
>but BIG NUMBERS
All these fucking things did was spreadsheeting, word processing, remote access and other textual jobs, for which the 5'' display was quite fine and had a higher "pixel density" than many full-sized consumer displays, especially with an 80-column upgrade.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.