[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I see a lot of people here shitting on Python. I have a feeling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2
I see a lot of people here shitting on Python. I have a feeling this is because people don't really understand Python and it's use cases. Ask me anything about Python and I will answer.
>>
when do you use python?
>>
>>53743762
Why are you stuck in decades old wars when everyone else is a joy to work with because they are language agnostic?
>>
>>53743762
Why does python suck so bad?
>>
>>53743762

There are pointers in python?
>>
>>53743806
For most use cases that aren't performance dependant it is a quick and easy way to get an application up and running. It is cross platform. I can easily pass performance dependant tasks off to c.
>>
>>53743762
what is the hardest part of python?
maybe "import"?
>>
are you here
>>
>>53743829
Please explain.
>>
>>53743869
The hardest part of python is understanding how python implements data structures. Python is actually a wrapper for c. Most people do not understand this. For instance, what is the difference between a tuple and a set? One is immutable, one can only have unique elements. This doesn't seem like a big deal until you look at the cpython interpreter.
>>
>>53743852
All variables in Python are actually pointers. Take a look at the Python bytecode spec to learn more.
>>
File: 1434263557138.jpg (63 KB, 300x352) Image search: [Google]
1434263557138.jpg
63 KB, 300x352
how do i make money with python without getting a job?
>>
>>53743762
could you make a .sprx menu for the ps3 in python?
>>
>>53743829
Leave the language up to people doing the work. They're responsible.

I can't think of one project I worked on last year that was strictly one language. The main focus of all my tasks did not involve the language but the architecture.
>>
>>53743762
whats a good book for someone new to python?
>>
are you going to answer any of the questions op???
>>
Ok, why the fuck was the transition between python 2 and 3 handled so badly? There's no other language where regular users of programs (not just developers) often need to have two different versions of the same language installed just to run the things they want to run. Some people still maintain that using Python 2 is better, and I've had trouble before with conflicts between the different versions of python in Linux before.

And I don't even mind python (though python 2 needs to give up and die already)
>>
>>53744124
think python
http://greenteapress.com/wp/think-python/
>>
>>53744124
Automate the Boring Stuff with Python
>>
>>53744124
Dive into Python
>>
>>53744114
Probably. Haven't tried it yet.
>>
Ruby > Python
>>
2 questions, what have you used Python for?
Not a Python question, but what languages work with explicit pointers and pointer manipulation? (For example, golang and c/c++)
>>
>>53743762
Wat is the coolest thing you van do with python?
>>
>>53744409
I use Python primarily for backend Web development.

Your second question is very open ended and not really fully answerable. What do you mean by pointer manipulation? Do you mean manipluating memory location, or do you mean msnipulating data types? It is a very open ended question.
>>
I like python. It's a great scripting language.
>>
>>53744473
You can break pretty much any wordpress site really easily. Web scraping is cool too. You can also write a buffer overflow that will call to your Python script to gain shell access on pretty much any unix based server.
>>
>>53743762
>Ask me anything about Python and I will answer.
What's the biggest python program you've ever written and how many times has it crashed at runtime due to a type or name error?
>>
>>53744522
>You can also write a buffer overflow that will call to your Python script to gain shell access on pretty much any unix based server.
Teach me your ways, sensei.
>>
>>53744517
Thank you. It's good for other things too but thank you.
>>
>>53744542
I've written multi thousand line Python web applications similar to yelp. No issues related to type errors except blank argument is none type while it should be blank type. That's just really an intern level fail. The Python interpreter is actually really great at catching type errors.
>>
>>53744550
Do you know what a buffer overflow is? You need to know a little bit about the application you want to break. You also need to know about memory allocation. I can't really teach you in text.
>>
>>53744635
Oh yes, I know what ROP is and all that. Thanks though.
>>
>>53744478
Thank you.

I was thinking more along the lines of manipulating memory location explicitly.
>>
Hi OP, I'm 18 and looking to get into learning programming. I recently started getting into Python, but haven't really dedicated a large amount of time for learning it. What books would you recommend?
>>
>>53744522
look mommy, i can pretend to know how to security
>>
>>53743762
Have you ever needed to integrate Python with C/C++ programs? Have you had any issues with it?
>>
>>53744707
I've never tried integrating c++. I have done c integration. No issues there. The Python c api us fantastic.
>>
>>53744603
>The Python interpreter is actually really great at catching type errors.
At compile time?
>>
>>53744707
Not OP, but I gave cython a whirl once. One line of python turns into about 10 lines of python-specific C code.
>>
>>53744795
At run time.
>>
>>53744983
>at runtime
wew lad, that sure sounds like some enterprise-ready development environment
>>
>>53743762
What's a good book for an experienced C/C++ programmer that is learning Python?
>>
Is django even worth learning or do you think flask will become the most popular framework due to the popularity of rest APIs?
>>
>>53744478
What's the best webdev framework for Python?
>>
>>53743806

When you want to get a cup of coffee then catch a movie before your code completes.
>>
>>53744163
Python 2 really is shit in comparison, with its stupid Unicode handling perhaps being the most frustrating. Legacy support and general laziness is what's keeping projects from going to 3. You can support both too, but that leads to so much more work in testing your codebase it's not very tempting.
>>
>>53744795
There is no "traditional" compile time. But I bet this is not a problem because you write and run frequently tests for your enterprise software, right? Right?
>>
>>53745570
Not OP, but as of today Django Rest Framework is very widely used, has most features you need out of the box and great docs, it is well worth it to learn
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.