[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why hasn't their been more focus on making high capacity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: wd_1 2.5in.jpg (101 KB, 650x453) Image search: [Google]
wd_1 2.5in.jpg
101 KB, 650x453
why hasn't their been more focus on making high capacity 2.5" drives?

wouldn't they be better for data centers to use since they take up less space?
>>
>>53738572
They get hotter, are more expensive to make, have higher failure rates, etc.
>>
>>53738572
"...better for data centers...?"
It's just an inch...
>>
How much fucking storage space do you need in a 2.5" hard drive? Besides, SSDs are moving in much faster - Samsung just introduced a 16TB SSD, yes, 16 motherfuckin' terabytes and they will probably push out a 32TB model by the end of the year.

While you or I can't afford such monstrous amounts of storage, businesses crave it and will pay princely sums of cash for it because it translates into extremely fast data retrieval at this point in time with less power requirements and maintenance. The sheer fact that hard drives are still able to function for extended periods of time considering they're physical devices with actual moving parts plays into things.

SSDs are the paradigm shift, hard drives are on the way out for most everything except just plain old raw storage - and by raw storage I mean data that needs to be stored for long periods of time but not necessarily accessed with any speed requirements.

If every hard drive on the planet could be replaced instantly with SSDs of equivalent sizes, anywhere and everywhere at the same moment, everything would just work more efficiently.

16 fucking terabytes in one drive, sweet jebus I wish I had one of those I really do.
>>
there is an initiative on it op
its just that ssds are taking the spotlight

theres HAMR and one other technology being developed to increase data density
>>
File: listentomekid.png (32 KB, 172x179) Image search: [Google]
listentomekid.png
32 KB, 172x179
>>53738666
SELF CHECK
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (77 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
77 KB, 1280x720
>>53738617

it's more than just an inch

you can fit nearly 2 times as many drives in the same space

>>53738647

yes but there is also the issue of reliability of SSDs. from what I here the TLC NANDs are much less reliable in the long term than MLC SSDs and Hard drives
>>
>>53738572
2TB isnt enough for you?
>>
because datacenters care about reliability, that is you see them filled with 300 gig SAS drives
>>
>>53738744

It's actually 4x as many - turn the 2.5" sideways 2x2 and stacked 2 high.
>>
>>53738788
true
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.