[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At what point did you realize you were studying to become a code
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
At what point did you realize you were studying to become a code monkey and should have majored in math instead of CS?
>>
>>53732886
still waiting for it to kick in, but thanks 4 the heads up
>>
Well what's the difference between a code monkey and a programmer/developer?
>>
>>53732947
an anime board
>>
>>53732886
what exactly is a code monkey again?

I mean aren't you still programming shit?
>>
>majored in math
>CS
Both have questionable job prospect.
>>
>>53732987
There is no real difference. NEET faggots on this board just have a superiority complex
>>
>>53732886
Just realized it a week ago doing machine learning.
>>
>white
>code monkey
That isn't how it works
>>
But I picked up a dual major in math and comp sci.

And I'd definitely say the math major isn't very helpful as a dev.
>>
>>53732886

>math
>only jobs are insurance companies and universities

>programming
>more jobs than you can count
>>
>>53733657
Before you know it some NEET is going to call you a wageslave and say that math majors get REAL jobs.
>>
>>53732886
>At what point did you realize you were studying to become a code monkey and should have majored in math instead of CS?
When I switched from math to CS
>>
>>53732947
A CS degree.
>>
>>53733089
Which parts of math were useful and which weren't?
>>
>>53734429
>>53733089
Depends on what you want to do.

AI can use a lot of math, for instance, while creating a Rails app will use practically none.
>>
>>53735094
You can learn the math required for AI in the computer science courses.
>>
>>53734429
depends entirely on the programming you want to do.

Most can get away with knowing just linear algebra and probability
>>
>>53732886
None because I wasn't retarded enough to take codemonkey courses in my CS degree.
>>
>>53735112
Depends on how dumbed-down your AI classes are
>>
>>53735362
No.
>>
>>53735384
Good luck proving convergence of your minimization algorithms without proper math background.
>>
>>53735409
Nice strawman.
>>
>>53735409
>muh Hessians
>>
>>53735471
Modern non-linear optimization algorithms used in AI are highly stochastic in nature and are applied to highly non-convex* very-high-dimensional spaces.

*Such is the assumption. There has been a lot of research into qualifying exactly the nature of the space, showing that saddle points are asymptotically never a thing for instance.
>>
>>53735617
>projecting
>>
>>53735617
I'm interested in AI and especially optimization. How do I into it?
>>
>>53736034
Optimization, go operational research (integer linear programming, non-integer linear programming, stochastic process, and then the rest). AI, BSc CS or math (stat) -> MSc ML, or start with Ng's coursera course (or hinton's, or larochelle's - though ng's are the best "ML 101" and hinton injects a lot of his opinions and ideology that nobody else agrees with in his shit). After that, read papers, starting with SOTA review-style papers (they link to many useful papers and give an overview of the most important techniques at the time of writing).

For RL (i.e. automated agents), sutton's book, then papers.
For behavioral computational neuroscience, oreilly's book.
>>
>>53736113
Thanks
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.