[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How Java became so widespread?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: Java.png (39 KB, 518x518) Image search: [Google]
Java.png
39 KB, 518x518
How Java became so widespread?
>>
Oracle pushing it down everyone's throats alongside their SQL products (which is actually useful)

Imagine a world where Oracle didn't do this, only gave us the sql dbms, and instead we had everything running in C.
The world would be great.
>>
>>53730873
1. it runs on many platforms with little changes (almost zero changes if you dont do any UI stuff)

2. it is verbose to the point of almost being self documenting

3 it doesnt require any understanding of the computer architecture to use. you can use it to simply turn your business knowledge into a program.

4. because of point 3 it means you can hire people with less experience/skill to do the job. think of it like how companies had all those horrible VB programs developed by some middle manager somewhere.

5. has some good and free tools. eclipse and netbeans are not amazing but they are not awful either. free means anyone in the company can install and use it unlike visual studio (until recently anyway).
>>
>>53730873
backwards compatibility
garbage collection with static type system and good performance
shitload of libraries
multiplatform
>>53730910
>Oracle pushing it down everyone's throats alongside their SQL products (which is actually useful)
Java had been widespread long before Oracle took over
>>
>>53730873
Android
>>
backwards compatibility
no competitor for server side language
runs on linux
>>
>>53730910
C is shit to write in compared to Java.
>>
Java is the only reasonable way to do OOP
>>
>>53732303
Disagree.
>>
>>53731530
Sounds like you never used C
>>
Java is well.... Like a macbook. The company does what they want, they release updates that may or may not compromise security, design its structure to look new yet familiar.... Then kill you will the entitlement bullshit
>>
>>53732360
I used C very extensively.
>>
>>53731530
t. pajeet
>>
>>53732365
That's only true for Oracle Java windows release, i guess.
On linux (thus servers), many already migrate to openjdk.
>>
>>53732412
You are arguing against common sense, anon.
>>
File: 1384493098899.jpg (9 KB, 252x252) Image search: [Google]
1384493098899.jpg
9 KB, 252x252
>>53730873
IT'S COMFY!
>>
>>53732303
haven't used C# in years but I remember it being very similar yet better made
>>
>>53732422
Yeah I'm not a Linux person due to every time I want to switch I realize that ath10k isn't supported natively on arch and I don't have time to deal with it

I was definitely speaking windows generally
>>
Pajeets.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.