[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WHY AREN'T YOU USING THE BEST LINUX DISTRO?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 5
File: win10 linux.jpg (160 KB, 1009x1242) Image search: [Google]
win10 linux.jpg
160 KB, 1009x1242
http://www.techworm.net/2016/02/microsoft-going-linux-way.html

http://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-lists-something-awesome-upcoming-build-2016-session/
>>
>>53728471
I am.
I just installed Linux-zen kernel and looking to see any performance changes in my Arch KDE
>>
>>53728488

>not using Windows 10
>>
if they released " Microsoft Linux ", that would be pretty dope
>>
When are they gonna open sauce directx so all the games can be ported at once?
>>
>>53728544
That would be the worst thing happening to computer world. Why not Microsoft Darwin? OSX on top of NT? Stop it
>>
>>53728543
It's a spyware
>>
>microshaft then precedes to copyright the term "linux"
lol no thanks. keep your shit overlay
>>
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system m ade useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>53728471
So is this basically the continuation of the SUA and Interix projects that Microsoft killed in the past (for Windows 8)?

Those were fully functioning POSIX subsystems for Windows 7 and earlier.
>>
>>53728567

Less so than Chrome
>>
What about that unix compatibility layer Windows supposedly has but nobody uses because Cygwin is better? Maybe they updated it and now it runs Linux ala Userspace Linux.
>>
>>53728687
But bigger botnet than Chrome
>>
>>53728551
Just licensing it to others who would seek to implement it on anything but windows for any price would be a dramatic change actually.
>>
>>53728687
>Less so than Chrome
>sends snapshots of your screen to MS servers every few minutes
>sends file samples from your HDD at any time
>keylogs and voice logs when you search
lel
>>
>>53728615
This makes me scared
>>
>>53728615
>implying they already don't have patent rights on Linux
Guess why 'Microsoft Loves Linux' campaign is considered public relations scam by many
>>
>>53728775
they removed the subsystem for unix based applications after windows 7. like nobody actually used it.
>>
>>53729634
Wasn't POSIX compatibility a requirement to sell your OS to the US gubment or something?
That's what my OS prof told me about XP, don't know if it's still true.
>>
>>53730196
It was originally the requirement for windows NT. NT was also ported tot the DEC Alpha architecture, which was heavily used by the Army at the time.
>>
Whens linux distro with DX12 and native Adobe suite
>>
>>53730343
>dx12
>not Vulcan
>>>/v/
>>
What happens:
>Microsoft "loves" Linux
>Starts developing solutions for Linux
>Patents common Linux and GNU stuff up the ass that has been in Linux for ages
>Says Linux can't use this anymore since Microsoft got the patent and they need to stop or go to court.
>Linux destroyed
Microsoft does this all the time, why the fuck would Linux be the exception?
>>
Windows 10 Linux
>>
>>53731370
Who did Microsoft destroy this way?
>>
They better release windows under GPL then or they're gonna get sued.
>>
>>53728471
>Latest Windows 10 May Have a Linux Subsystem Hidden Inside
so it's like a tumor
>>
>>53728615
You can't copyright a term retard. "Linux" is already trademarked by the linux foundation and the copyrights are owned by their respective parties.
>>
>>53731615
All they need to do is release the source code of the linux subsystem, as long as nothing is linked to is (and nothing can be because it's a fucking kernel).
>>
>>53731594
his mind.
>>
>>53731370
microsoft can't patent anything under GPL
learn to GNU
>>
>>53729573
[citation needed]
>>
>>53731784
it was literally all over the news of tech sites, search for the windows 10 preview articles, you'll find all the details you need, also it's a kinown fact that even the current windows 10 release needs an external hardware firewall to block ms from data mining your files, we have a thread about this like 3 times a week.

>muh preview
it's the same shit, or are you unironically implying that people ever bother read the eula? win 10 is botnet, deal with it.
>>
>>53731749
This. Stallman might be a little wacky but he understands what he needs to do to keep software free.
>>
Embrace, Extend, Extinguish.

Now we wait for the extend part.
>>
>>53728544
>if they released " Microsoft Linux ", that would be pretty dope
Oh well, they've done Microsoft Xenix before so it's plausible.
>>
yay blue kernel panics
>>
>>53732020
what do you mean by 'Extend'?
>>
>>53732076
Add functionality to Microsoft's flavor of linux and make users who are familiar with linux switch to Microsoft's platform because of useful additions.
>>
>>53732145
ah, OK.
But,
> make users who are familiar with linux switch to Microsoft's platform
This seems like it's not going to happen as people who already use Linux use it to get away form Windows.
>>
>>53732020
Never forget the 3 Es of Microsoft.
>>
>>53732200
> YOLD (year of the Linux desktop)
>>
>>53732200
You're talking about the /g/ kind, desktop users.
It very well could be that Microsoft is targeting corporate market with this.
>>
>>53728471
Can I use Gnome 3 on Windows 10?
>>
>>53731784
you must be gnew here.

We've already provided proof over and over and over again. Spoon feeding newfags isn't really our thing.
>>
>>53732242
Why would you want to?
>>
>>53732243
That russian faggot isn't proof.
>>
>>53732291
cлышь ты чe бopзeeшь тo a
c кaкoгo paeнa
>>
>>53731630
>All they need to do is release the source code of the linux subsystem, as long as nothing is linked to is (and nothing can be because it's a fucking kernel).
are you fucking serious?
>>
>>53732340
Yes.
>>
>>53732350
i'd honestly stop doing smoking so much crack if i were you, your brain took a serious damage from it.
>>
>>53732243
Literally everything listed there has been debunked, windows 10 phones home but it doesn't take screenshots every minute and send them to microsoft that's straight up fabricated.

It also doesn't send file samples from your HDD, it sends file samples from OneDrive, and who the fuck uses OneDrive?

>Keylogs when you search
Because you're searching the internet + your computer, but you can trivially turn that off

It's like being surprised that when you search google the search string goes to google
>>
>>53732396
Try attacking my argument instead of me personally.
>>
>>53731615
Has the GPL ever been upheld in court? Because companies do this shit all the time and nothing ever comes of it
>>
>>53732403
Why the fuck would people use a system like that?
>>
>>53732431
Yes. See DD-WRT.
>>
>>53732409
your argument makes no sense at all, that's the problem.
>>
>>53732431
Microsoft has been forced to release source code of one of their programs because they used tiny bit of GPL code in it.

But, of course, again, this does not apply here because they do not link any of their Windows code to the fucking Linux kernel.
>>
>>53732441
What, why would people use an OS with a built in web search and a cloud drive service pre-installed?

It's not like I can name half a dozen linux distros that do the same.
>>
>>53732431
Chink companies keep stealing GPL code and releasing under strict non-gpl licenses and nobody does shit cuz muh 25$ tablet
>>
>>53732449
This is actually cool, I'm glad sometimes it happens
>>
>>53732457
My argument is simple.
With the proposed Linux subsystem, Microsoft will not have to release source code of Windows - because Windows does not include and is not linked to any GPL code.
What exactly here does not make sense to you?
Do you think Microsoft will have to release source code of Windows according to Linux's GPL2? Which part of GPL2 would be used to force Microsoft then?
>>
>>53732483
Because sueing companies in China is not a thing
>>
>>53732465
No. Why would people use a system with so much shit surrounding it.

You know, all the maybes and might dos. Even if more than half of the shit is wrong, the fact that it's in discussion in the first place is what worries me.
>>
>>53732491
now your argument makes sense, but

>(and nothing can be because it's a fucking kernel).
that part made no sense at all
>>
>>53732511
It's mostly only a discussion because people are fucking paranoid as shit though, most of the shit here spouted about windows 10 in a complete lie at worst or insane hyperbole at best.

Nobody calls the websearch in ubuntu a keylogger. It's only a keylogger when it's part of windows.
>>
>>53732483
It all depends on whether or not the person knows their software is being used and whether they care enough to enforce it. If they wanted to the original owner of the copyright could sue the chink company and possibly prevent all of their goods from being imported into the US or Europe which would be a significant dent.
>>
>>53732528
How do you link something to kernel. Enlighten me.
>>
>>53730423
I was joking, don't you recognize a joke

In any case DX11 titles are a ton, and not compatible with linux. DX12 can go fuck itself.
>>
>>53732403
Rajesh, go worship your fucking toilet
>>
>>53732538
The kernel is modular, you make a kernel module using one of the APIs that are exposed to kernel modules.
>>
>>53732554
Good argument m8
>>
>>53732534
Except they do. Pretty much anytime someone mentions Ubuntu it will usually be followed with a few "botnet" comments, much like Windows, though arguably not to the same degree.

Hell, it was enough for me to run to the hills as well.
>>
>>53732570
no use applying much effort to a shitposter
>>
>>53732535
FSF sued Mediatek over stolen linux and ffmpeg code that was used in their SOC's both in Europe and Murrica and they still have to pay a dime or receive some sort of embargo. It's useless to sue when the company is big and brings cheap products
>>
>>53732431
>Has the GPL ever been upheld in court?
yes.

FSF puts pretty much everything they get from donations into maintaining a lawyer base.

FSF sued Cisco over gpl violation.
And they won.

It's easier to sue a large megacorp.
Small chink companies that make 10 usd disposable electronics aren't worth it, the concepts of copyright, patents, trademarks don't exist in China.
>>
>>53732575
Maybe Ubuntu wasn't the best example, but there's many other distros with an integrated websearch that don't get called keyloggers.

Ubuntu did have a bunch of trouble with that advertising bullshit that's an entirely different can of worms.
>>
>>53732568
Fine. You can do that. I'll correct my original statement. Just for you anon:

>All they need to do is release the source code of the linux subsystem, as long as nothing they want to keep closed is linked to is (and nothing can be because it's a fucking kernel - the code Microsoft wants to keep closed is not in Linux modules).
>>
>>53728659
Top kek can't wait for the Microsoft/Linux pasta, it will happen. So long GANOO!
>>
File: 1449070005284.gif (1 MB, 321x194) Image search: [Google]
1449070005284.gif
1 MB, 321x194
>>53728567
>le spyware maymay XD
>>
>February
this is not news
>>
>>53732231
They are targeting Oracle's market moreso.
>>
>>53732707
>le "xD" poster
XD
>>
>>53732242
>"Can I play with shit while I'm eating broken glass?"
>>
Ganoox and Gentards BTFO
>>
>>53731370
Oracle and a bunch of random commercial Linux companies have been trying this for decades now and they always lose in the end
>>
>>53728471
that's wrong because GPL2.
>>
>>53728471
So they're admitting that windows 10 is a massive GPL violation? Can't wait for the lawsuit!

Also, install gentoo!
>>
>>53737655
>>53737380

Read the GPL kiddies
>>
>>53731370
This is why, as nice as BSD licenses may seem, they are inferior to GPL. GPL protects you from big business.
>>
>>53731908
Thats funny. ive never heard about this before. I also have never seen a thread before that stated this.

Also I have read the EULA and it doesnt say anything about taking snapshots every few minutes and uploading files from my HDD anywhere in it. I would love to see a link and direct quote in the EULA that says that.

Also its not true that you need external firewalls to block microsoft. why do you spread flase information? are you insecure about something ?
>>
>>53738545
Oh the irony
>>
>>53739068
2.894 rupees have been deposited to account sir pajeet! kindly keep doing the needful sir!
>>
>>53739318
Jej
>>
Not so long to go
>>
File: 1408649310786.jpg (202 KB, 1366x837) Image search: [Google]
1408649310786.jpg
202 KB, 1366x837
>linux
>good
Even Linus knows that shit like ioctls are a retarded clusterfuck.
>>
>>53742670
Better than literally everything else.
>>
File: 1391565615688.gif (1 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1391565615688.gif
1 MB, 200x200
>>53734877
>>
>>53728659
is it the same guy that posts this fucking shit every time?
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.