[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Smartwatches Why do these exist? They do literally nothing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2
File: 13792867822449.jpg (2 MB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
13792867822449.jpg
2 MB, 3648x2736
>Smartwatches
Why do these exist?

They do literally nothing a smartphone can't do.
>>
Lazy coworkers can use it for phone shit in areas where phones aren't allowed.
>>
>>53727078
>in areas where phones aren't allowed.
These exist?
If so, why would you allow a smartwatch then?
>>
>>53727115
Yes some work places don't want you using a phone. But they can leave the phone in the pocket and use the smartwatch because the managers haven't caught on yet.
>>
File: pennyinspectorgadgetwatch-1.jpg (193 KB, 865x372) Image search: [Google]
pennyinspectorgadgetwatch-1.jpg
193 KB, 865x372
everybody wants muthafuckin spy watches but they're useless for everything else
>>
>>53727066
People are so lazy and incompetent to take something out of their pocket. They are only capable of turning their wrist a little bit.
>>
>>53727066
>in class, get a call, leg is vibrating
>don't want to pull phone out cause its rude
>see if call is from important person or not from my wrist
>dismiss call from wrist discretely
or
>be driving in my dumpy car
>no hands free shit in it
>get a text, see it on wrist
>dictate reply back without losing focus on road by picking up phone
or
>listening to music
>phone in pocket
>next song in playlist is meh
>skip track from wrist and never pull out phone

its not useful for everyone, but it has some nice uses for me
>>
I've been using one since the first Sony one for Andriod.

They offer a good bit of functionalitly

I can Read text and email

Respond to text and email

Navigation

Find my phone if I lost it in the room.

Cheat on School Test.

Its a Watch with extra features. Its not gonna save the world or replace your computer
>>
>>53727238
All pointless use cases that save a few seconds at best.

You shouldn't be reading texts while driving regardless. It clearly isn't urgent if they didn't call.
>>
>>53727272
you're entitled to your opinion. i'll keep enjoying the convenience the smartwatch affords me.
>>
>>53727272
Those few seconds combine with the most important feature: geek chic fashion.

Basement dwellers naturally have a hard time understanding that.
>>
>>53727272
You can use the same argument for normal watches.
>>
>>53727320
>convenience
Dealing with this extra device that you have to put on your wrist and take off all the time and charge it up is not convenient to save a few seconds on occasion. Especially when it costs hundreds of dollars.

>>53727340
Yea, for simply telling the time I wouldn't bother dealing with a normal watch either, but at least you rarely ever have to charge them and good ones are water proof.
>>
My phone can't track my swimming like my Pebble can.
>>
>>53727272
>All pointless use cases that save a few seconds at best.
are we talking about smartphones?
>>
>>53727359
my moto 360 lasts 2 days and charges in half an hour. it's also ip67 certified so there's the water resistance for ya
>>
>>53727359
>smartwatches aren't appealing to me therefore anyone else who uses one is wasting their time
cool dude. you know, it's okay to not like things right? clearly they're useful to some of the people that buy them.
>>
>>53727428
You can think they are useful all you want. You are only fooling yourself.
>>
>>53727474
like i said, you're entitled to your opinion.
>>
You can get them for less than $100 thanks to black Friday sales and buyers remorse.

I like mine. Can have phone in bag and still get basic use of it
>>
they exist because companies make money. why is anything sold?
>>
>>53727066
>wristwatches
Why do these exist?

They do literally nothing a pocket watch can't do.
>>
>>53727066
installing product in customers house, can see texts from coworkers and or boss and or my employees without looking unprofessional grabbing my phone all the time.
>>
>>53727066

Around 2012-13 I thought that the whole smartwatch thing, particularly the constant "iwatch" speculation, was a clever fifth column tactic by Apple to trick their competitors into wasting time and money on their own shitty watches that no one would buy. Then Apple touched the shit too, and a little piece of my soul broke off that day.
>>
>>53727238
These basically.

Also mine is a glorified fitbit and sleep tracker/alarm. Is it worth it? Probably not. But it's great as a gift, and what else are you going to spend your money on? 4 to 5 more fps?
>>
>>53727272
>cases that save a few seconds at best.

So the entire point of technology?
>>
>>53727066
>Why do these exist?
To eventually make smartphones obsolete. It may seem like a farfetched idea, but someday smartwatches wont be shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLQtqTpZBOU
>>
>>53727066
I'm really not sure. The only legitimate purposes I can think of (basically >>53727238) just need a simple e-ink display and a small band instead of a huge watch-like thing that needs charging every evening.

Up until now, smart watches are nothing but a forced technology, just something new to make some more money. Yeah, it's hard to understand why people would want shit like that. It doesn't really make your life easier. The truth is, it only gives you even less excuses, makes it even harder for you to escape life and all it's bullshit for a few seconds. The only step left to make this even more ridiculous is something like Google glass that literally pushes every little irrelevant thing right in front of your face.
>>
It's useful to keep my phone in my pocket. If something comes up I know right away without having to take my phone out everytime I get a notification. Much less rude in social situations, you'll be the cool guy who doesn't have his phone out the entire time.

Though why anyone would get anything other than a pebble is beyond me. Charge once a week, waterproof, literally take it off less than a real watch.
>>
>>53727242
thanks to anons like you i have to take off a normal watch and put it in a plastic bag for my uni exams -_-
>>
Fuck off LOONIX autist.

Apple - the neurotypicals' choice.
>>
>>53728705
yes
>>
>>53728911
This desu. Smart watches are overhyped bullshit, I don't even wear a normal watch anymore because I always have my phone on me.
>>
>>53727066
>Why do these exist?
Because investors/industry hoped for another smartphone/tablet revolution and wanted to cash in big.
>>
>>53727238
Those small conveniences don't justify the steep price tag of a smartwatch
>>
>>53728911

>small, e-ink, and long battery life

So...a pebble?
>>
>>53728754
That's pretty sweet. That really expands the commands you can do. Only issue is making the commands intuitive. They gave some pretty good examples. And is plays Doom!
>>
>>53731423
Not everyone is as poor as you, anon.
>>
>>53727272
>numeros
mama mia!
>>
>>53727066
They aren't trying to replace smartphones, senpai
>>
>>53727115
What is sensitive or classified areas, laugh out loud
>>
I've enjoyed my Pebble, but the longer I have it the more I think the end is near. I have a 30 year old Casio that just needs a fresh battery every 4-5 years and it will likely continue to work until our species dies out, but I don't think Pebble will be around as a company 2 years from now. I can't imagine anyone will be able to replace the battery in it.
>>
>>53733927
>Security audit
>Does that watch have bluetooth..?
>Long and unpleasant debriefing concerning security protocols ensues
Security clearance is no joke. They disallowed furbies in the 90s because there was no guarantee they don't act as recording devices. I know a guy who got reprimanded because he forgot that he had a USB stick in his pocket.
>>
i can cheat at exams easily with a smartwatch.
>>
Bought a cheap smart watch purely to use in class so if I get a call or text I can look at the watch to see if it's important or not. We aren't allowed to whip our phones out. Other than that I don't see the need for one.
>>
why do tablets exist?
>>
>>53727176
Exactly this. I met a fellow student in college that texted on her smartwatch, since texting on a phone wasn't allowed.
>>
>>53736090
>be test proctor at uni
>see two idiots texting each other on their smart watch the answers
>they Fail the course and are booted from the uni
Ayy I would have let it slide if they were apple watches or if they ran linux on their PCs
>>
>>53727066
>Why do these exist?
because people want them?

>They do literally nothing a smartphone can't do.
Then you're an idiot for not monetising on people's wants
>>
>>53735974
bigger screens. smartwatches give no benefits.
>>
>>53736197
nobody asked for a smartwatch. companies decided to make them cause they didn't know what the fuck to do. in order to sell them they created a demand and its not going well for them cause nobody in their right mind needs that.
>>
>>53727066
Jesus Christ, how horrifying
>I am growing stronger
>>
People with watches and smartphones are tools. Same as people who buy consoles then buy PCS so they can stream to the PC. Could you be a stupider consumer?
>>
>>53727066
thirsty tree is thirsty
>>
>>53727066
>explained visually: square root
>>
>>53727525
Underrated post
>>
Alarm vibrator

Manipulate music

Track time

Kill yourself
>>
>>53727238
Basically all these. I have a pebble steel and the small convenience is worth the 100$ i paid for it. Its an alarm and tells time, as a watch should, it also tells the current weather which is useful for getting ready in the morning.
>>
>>53727238
so its basically an overpriced wrist remote?
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.