[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ANDROID APPS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: apple reviews.jpg (123 KB, 634x844) Image search: [Google]
apple reviews.jpg
123 KB, 634x844
Why isn't Android apps working on Linux if Android is hyped by Linux users?
Is it a good Java platform?
It does not works even on Windows...
>>
>>53719605
That's a pretty eye-opening pic, internet marketing in a nutshell
>>
>>53719605
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to automate that?
>>
>>53719605
Apps themselves don't actually run on the Linux kernel, they run on Android, which is it's own thing built on top of the Linux kernel.
>>
>>53719675

Which is a Java VM thatcould be running on BSD or anything else underneath.
>>
>>53719605
Different display system, sound system and ipc.
None of it used on desktop linux.

Also, androids app are written in java but compiled to dalvik, so java vm runtime are not related at all.
>>
>>53719675
>>53719881
Yeah but why doesnt it run on linux
>>
KEKED BY GOOGLE BOTNET
>>
but why isn't Android apps working on Linux
>>
>>53721599
It does. What do you think Android is? Is Android not Linux?
>>
>>53719969
linux is not an operating system, it's just a kernel

Android is an operating system
GNU/Linux is another operating system

that's why you can't run android apps on GNU/Linux
>>
>>53719605
>>53719640
>>53719672
is this really a common occurrence? any more info?
>>
SurfaceFlinger is the equivalent of a display server on Android. It completely replaces the regular Linux display server, X. You'd have to contain Android apps in some window manager to run on them on plain Linux.

It's not really Linux the way we think of Linux. It's not that easy to run regular software, Android is like an OS on top of the OS
>>
>Why isn't Android apps working on Linux if Android is hyped by Linux users?
Because desktop Linux isn't Android and does not have any means by which to handle the .apk file format.

>Is it a good Java platform?
Elaborate more on this question. Which platform are you referring to (Android, normal Linux), and what do you consider to be "good" for a Java platform?

>It does not works even on Windows...
Windows, like desktop Linux, does not have a means of understanding the .apk file format.

>>53719778

This is very outdated. While on previous versions of Android it was the case that applications were JIT compiled by a JVM (specifically dalvik), the current model actually has bytecode compiled AOT to native code at install time.

>>53721625

He probably is thinking of desktop Linux. I.E. why can't I take an .apk and run it on Ubuntu? You probably could if you had a compatibility layer, but I know of none that exist.
>>
>>53722035
>Android is like an OS on top of the OS

NO, IT'S A JAVA VM
>>
You can. It's still a work in progress though. Right now the apps run in a VM, but they're working on removing that necessity.

http://www.shashlik.io/
>>
>>53722293
>He probably is thinking of desktop Linux. I.E. why can't I take an .apk and run it on Ubuntu?
Once again, the overloaded 'Linux' nomenclature strikes again! Stallman's been saying for a long time not to call a system that uses the Linux kernel program to be 'Linux'.
>>
>>53722353

We're not on Kitkat anymore. Android != JVM
>>
>>53721625
>Is Android not Linux?
>True, they are not quite the same, but Android is Linux. For example, Ubuntu is "GNU/Linux" while Android is "Dalvik/Linux". If an operating system uses the Linux kernel, then it is a Linux system. The userland (GNU and Dalvik) does not determine whether an OS is Linux or not.

>>53722501
Stallman isn't right about everything
>>
>>53722555
>but why isn't Android apps working on Linux
If Android is indeed Linux, this quote makes no sense - it is nonsense. Android apps should work in Linux given that Android is Linux.
>>
>>53719672

lol, fuck no
>>
>>53722655

Your logic is equivalent to this:

Windows is an operating system, so Windows applications should work on operating systems.

Reality: not all Linux are created equal.
>>
>>53722655
>this engine should work for my car because it works in that guy's car
>>
why not use

ARChon Custom Runtime 2.1.0 - x86_64

or a VM.

> inb4 botnet
you gonna run it anyway
>>
File: lefteris.jpg (181 KB, 1920x1079) Image search: [Google]
lefteris.jpg
181 KB, 1920x1079
>>53723540
btw in case you're wondering
>>
>>53719605
>Is it a good Java platform?

Yes

>Why isn't Android apps working on Linux if Android is hyped by Linux users?

Because you would need to port the whole Android toolkit to Linux. That's a big job, and it's not very suited for desktop apps.
>>
>>53723605
>it's not very suited for desktop apps.

RemixOS proved this to be bullshit
>>
>>53723651
RemixOS is just Android that's been fucked with. And most apps still don't respond to even the most basic desktop conventions (right click, keyboard shortcuts, focus, windowed mode, etc.)
>>
>>53719969
It does. ./studio.sh then run it in emulator
>>
>>53722982
No it's more like
>this guy's diesel engine works on diesel
>my petrol engine should work on diesel too
>they're both engines right?
>>
>>53722353
I'm trying to simplify things because OP doesn't know about linux or andoid. No shit Android is a JVM. I develop Android apps and have done Debian chroot on Android. Android has its own "ecosystem" that makes the Linux portion pretty useless as an OS. I'm trying to get the point across to OP that Android being Linux doesn't really matter.
>>
>>53723651
No, the touchscreen UIs still suck with a mouse.
>>
>>53721936
>>53719672
>>53719640

this is an app rating scam.
www.cultofmac.com/311171/crazy-iphone-rig-shows-chinese-workers-manipulate-app-store-rankings/
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.