[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/webdev/ - Web Development General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: webdev.png (18 KB, 1600x600) Image search: [Google]
webdev.png
18 KB, 1600x600
Who /webdev/ here?

I hope you are enjoying easy money with no degree requirement.
>>
1. Install Joomla
2. Make a really basic template in Artisteer
3. Spend 10 minutes copy and pasting their shit to articles
4. Send invoice for £200
5. repeat invoice every 12 months

Great gig isnt it, man I would be rich if I wasnt such a lazy bugger and spent so much time gaming or on 4chan.
>>
>>53721158
and 1 year later you can do it all over because the site got hacked by botnets
>>
Yeah it's pretty insane. I love how tech fags think their grossly overpaid positions are legit and try to defend it.
>>
>>53721195
Been runniing sites for 4 years, never been hacked so far.

Not really done anything special, just followed the joomla guide for secure set up and run the ocasional update. Some of my sites are still 2.5 and never have problems with them either.
>>
How long does it take to learn to be an employable webdev (I presume front end takes much less time) assuming motivation isn't a problem?
>>
>>53721336
Assuming you have a programming background actually learning HTML/CSS/JS Isn't that hard.Tricky part is learning all the caveats of web development, which you will have to learn through experience and practice.

Or you can just go template builder / WordPress themer and start within in hour.
>>
>>53721336
I lied about being able to make websites and I was able to make an impressive looking site in like 3 days. I just did the codecademy html course then watched some youtube videos about Bootstrap and read a little of the documentation

It was not too hard & it was actually pretty fun to learn all that stuff. HTML wasn't too hard to learn but then again I use LaTeX all the time
>>
opinions on freecodecamp.com?
>>
>>53721423
I already know the HTML/CSS basics (shit is like casually using a word processor) and some JS. I don't have a programming background.
>>53721484
>impressive looking site
With only HTML and CSS?
>>
I've been a programmer/webdev for over 17 years and only recently in the past two years got a shitty online degree just to be more marketable. That being said, I've never had an issue getting a job because I had a good portfolio to show to people that were interested in employing me. It also doesn't hurt to have a certificate from BrainBench or some other online certifying company. That's how I got into it. I just learned some HTML/CSS and a decent server side language (in my case Perl).

I would probably recommend learning Python today for your server side language and also some JQuery and you'll be quite marketable.
>>
>>53721486
bump
>>
>>53721522
I used bootstrap.
>>
My preference for free online code learning sites is code academy because they have you actually coding while giving you the examples.
>>
>>53721336
Seems to depend entirely on the company really. You may be qualified for something right now.
>>
>>53718660
Hobbyist web developer studying CS here.

How much do I need to know to get a good job? I've built sites using PHP and Python and I've hosted them on/managed Apache and Nginx web servers. I can't into front end design but I can slap together something passable using Bootstrap with a bit of custom tweaking

Am I employable yet? Any recommendations on what I should learn to make myself more marketable?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.