[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I mostly lurk, but I need your help /g/. I'm looking for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: RADEON.jpg (3 MB, 2080x1560) Image search: [Google]
RADEON.jpg
3 MB, 2080x1560
I mostly lurk, but I need your help /g/.

I'm looking for a desktop that I can drop a GPU into that I got as a gift. The GPU takes three 8-pin power cables, and is double-and-a-half width. It's got it's own radiator, so I'll need a fan bay for that as well.

Purchase and go solutions, e.g. ebay, would work best. I have no case or system that I can put this card in, and I've been told it won't have drivers for another month. I can't really say much more, but if you have any suggestions it would be much appreciated. I can give dimensions if necessary. Pic related, is card.
>>
>>53715996
>3 pins, own radiator
Nice Radeon Pro Duo
you're pretty limited for options unfortunately, you're almost certainly going to have to build your own pc.
>>
>>53715996
Forgot to clarify, the multitool is 10 cm long to give you an idea of size. The radiator is about 8 cm thick, with a a protrusion that brings it to 10 cm. The card itself is 3.5 cm thick.
>>
>>53715996
who the fuck gifts a $1500 card to someone without the means to utilize it?
>>
>>53716019
So what you're saying is that going out and buying a HP Z800 won't cut it?

>>53716026
>>
>>53716034
Sorry, meant to say I know some folks at dell.
>>
>>53716034
No a Z800 PSU isn't enough.
>>
>>53716064
If 1100W isn't enough, what will be?
>>
>>53716034
It wont. For several reasons. the main one being the Z800 doesnt have that many PCI-E power for that GPU.

For the radiator you can mount it on a standard fan slot, you just need the long screws for radiators.

At the very least you'll need both a power supply and a case with a 120mm slot to utilize it properly.

What do you plan on doing with the GPU itself?

If you want to go full ghetto you can use MOLEX -> PCI-E headers with the Z800 PSU, but that card deserves better.
>>
>>53716093
Honestly, I just want to drop it in a box and be able to game with it. I've been told I can't sell it (not that I have any intention of doing so), so I may as well put it to work in a big stonking beast of a machine and learn how to use it to it's full potential. I'll admit I'm a little tired of playing MGSV at 720p upscaled to 1080p on a three year old mobile Quadro card.
>>
>>53716131
Here's the short of it :

You can rig it with the correct cables Molex to 8pin connectors.
You probably have a spare 8pin or 2 on your Z800's PSU - you should check that .

I'd storngly recommended to not use these since it's not unheard of to have your GPU die because of a crappy wire. Instead it'd be best to buy A 1000W+ ATX PSU from a reputable brand like Seasonic or Cooler Master.

I dont know whether or not those are compatible with the Z800 however.

I dont know much about the Z800's layout it's a non-standard layout but there should be atleast a single 120mm Mount without a radiator on it.

If there's a fan - remove the fan and put the GPU's radiator on there.

Put it in the correct orientation with radiator screws.

Boot up and hope everything's alright.
>>
you have 1 month to gather and build the parts, have fun OP. Don't be lazy and buy an overpriced pre-built
>>
File: Product-Z800-4-960px.jpg (272 KB, 960x743) Image search: [Google]
Product-Z800-4-960px.jpg
272 KB, 960x743
>>53716288
Basically this.

Also OP judging how the Z800 is built it looks like you'd have issues all along the way.

Likewise taking a look at the rear and front fans they APPEAR to be 92mm chassis fans and not 120mm.

My personal recommendation would be using off the shelf parts for your own good. They're designed to take shit like this, versus a Z800 you will get no help from HP.
If you really don't want to build it yourself pay some computer shop to do it for you. It should still be cheaper than a workstation.
>>
>>53716288
I don't actually own a Z800 yet, but I poked around a little and found this article:

http://andybrown.me.uk/2014/11/01/z800/

Seems to indicate dropping a card into an already-functioning Z800 may work, but it's not really worth the risk if bricking a GPU of this caliber is possible. My brother does actually have a running machine in an Antec 900 that was used at my dad's office to run an electron microscope for a little while, but I don't know what's in it other than an EVGA X58 Classified with the two x16 PCIe slots. Don't know the processor/RAM/drives, but I think it's at least an i7. He plans on moving to a mini-ITX for whatever reason, so he'll be taking the processor and RAM, and probably the drives as well. I don't know how capable I will be of completing a build for this card simply because I find out if I get into the Naval Academy sometime in the coming few weeks, which frees up a few thousand dollars for me.
>>
>>53715996
Holy fuck OP did you seriously get a Radeon pro
>>
>>53717930
That's what all my research indicates. I was offered two Titans from the machine of the man who designed them, and turned them down. A few days later he offered me this thing. Currently trying to put together a fairly cheap box that'll be able to support it. It will be far and above the most expensive single component I have ever owned, since I've only ever had laptops.
>>
>>53717974
Are you already a gamer?

Go ahead and install DCS and other shit like that and enjoy the highest definition of autism games.
>>
>>53718000
Sort of. When I was much younger I got an M14x, thinking it was a good idea. Had that for nearly four years, now I'm on a W520 with some upgrades I made myself. This will be my first desktop. The equipment solely to adequately complement this card will be more expensive than any other computer I've owned.
>>
id buy from you..
>>
>>53718025
Not allowed, specifically verboten.
>>
>>53718024
True but it will last you for a long ass time to do whatever game.

And I guess you couldn't sell but I don't see why.
>>
>>53718077
I think it's an engineering sample, so I've been told. I remember the guy who gave it to me saying I'd need at least a kilowatt PSU to power it, because this card shouldn't sit along an i3 on an offbrand board with 4 GB of ram. Current prospective specs are an i5-4440 cooled with Hyper 212, on a GA-Z79X, with 4x4GB corsair vengeance, in a corsair C70 (because combo discounts) and a Corsair RM1000i. I'd appreciate if any anons could tell me whether that'd be enough.
>>
>>53718144
if you're getting an Z97 board, why not an i5-4690K then
>>
>>53718144
I'd suggest the 4590 over the 4440 as it's only like 20$ more and gives you an additional .2ghz
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.