[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Drinking the Linux Meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: 1452586639858.jpg (56 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
1452586639858.jpg
56 KB, 1024x683
Getting ready to take the plunge nig/g/ers. I've narrowed what I want down to Ubuntu 14.04, Kubuntu 14.04, Fedora 23 Cinnamon, and Elementary OS.

I'm not concerned about bloat or miniscule differences in performance, or muh latest bleeding edge versions. I put stability and not having to constantly fuck with it at a higher priority. I just need to be away from Win 10 as much as possible. I do game a bit, but pretty much retro like Baldur's Gate, and that shit's all available on Linux through Steam.

I just need advice on which one to go with from here. It's going to be on an Intel IGP laptop which is my only computer.

Thanks fa/g/s
>>
>>53709703
I've tried all of those, I definitely like Fedora the best.

Fedora is also what they seem to mainly use at universities with Linux workstations, and Fedora is also based off of RHEL which is the only pretty much the only distro used in industry.
>>
>I want nothing special in particular
>I put stability as a priority
>I want something that werks
>I "gaym"
>I don't want win10

to be honest familia
get win7
>>
>>53709740
Yeah, I pretty much don't "game', mate. Thanks for the input.
>>
If you want a Linux OS with stability and gaming in mind, you really can't go with anthing other than Ubuntu.
I would go with either Ubuntu Gnome, if you like the modernized Gnome UI, or Ubuntu Mate, if you want something a little more familiar.

Fedora is not very compatible with Steam, and ElementaryOS is not much better.
Kubuntu might be a good choice, but Kubuntu is getting a little old now, and the features in more modern DE's are really nice to have.
>>
that is midget guyrs
>>
>>53709703
wow you sure narrowed that down
>>
>>53709770
Yeah, I know it's still kinda general and generic and such, it's why I can't make a final decision. Hoping more wise and experienced users have opinions ;) I'm personally dumb as fuck.
>>
>>53709703
>it's a midget

god dammit
>>
I also downloaded Manjaro, and it looks nice, but I'm told it's shit. I don't have confidence in my abilities to do something like Arch any time soon.
>>
>>53709787
either keep windows or install something, its not like its permanently burned into your hard drive
>>
Ubuntu MATE
>>
>>53709758
Fedora and steam work fine together, along with the games
>>
>>53709769
i know :^)
>>
Nice blog.
>>
>>53709703
>Blah blah distro
Friendly linux thread

>ubuntu 14.04
good for beginners. slightly bloated but very compatible.

>kubuntu 14.04
also good for beginners, im seeing a pattern in your choices

>fedora 23
r u srs. I would not suggest for beginners.. why would you think of this?

>elementary os
good luck. idk about luna or whatever the fuck they're on now, but when I used it it was terribly unstable.

so, your choices

>ubuntu xfce/kde/whatever
stable, good shit, you'll like it just fine.

>debian
FREEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeee
and easy to install nowadays

>linux mint
beginner friendly, but very sexy and not as bloated as ubuntu.

>arch anything
no.
>>
>>53710134
>idk about luna or whatever the fuck they're on now, but when I used it it was terribly unstable.
I also tried Luna and it was bad, the next versio, Freya, fixed everything and I used it for some months.
>>
>>53710134
>Linux mint
>good
Pic one. It's a shitty bloated Ubuntu, don't lie.if bloat is an issue, install Ubuntu mate. Uses 300MB ram on boot.
>>
>>53710134
xubuntu
>>
>>53709703
Ubuntu 16.04, which is a long term support release just like 14.04, will be released on April 21.
A good idea would be installing Ubuntu 14.04 and then upgrading to 16.04 once it's out of beta.
>>
I like Elementary OS
>>
>>53709769
she's my favourite midget glamour model too :3

>>53709810
pleb
>>
>>53709740
Idiot.
>>53709703
OP, I was exactly the same as you. I don't game, but shit do I love Baldur's Gate... As you say, you don't need windows for that.
I chose to go with Manjaro. Arch hate is just bantz, it's easy to trigger the ricer autists. Manjaro also gets hate for this ONE time the devs fucked up with a security update. Common sense covers you from that kind of shit anyway. Point us, it was easy as fuck to install and has access to the AUR. Got the xfce version and works like a dream. When I get to know linux a little better I'll probably go arch because I'm not a fan of getting all my software pre-installed with no choice in what I can use.
I installed it alongside windows with dual boot just in case shit went wrong or I was too retarded to use Linux properly. I've booted windows twice since then, and each time it's worse and worse. Literally the slowest OS I've ever used, everything stutters, lags, breaks all the time. My laptop is 4 years old so obviously that contributes but oh man windows is absolutely rubbish. I say go for easy distros with babby installers like manjaro and Ubuntu flavours. Can't speak for fedora but yeah doesn't seem too bad. Good luck.
>>
>>53710976
Manjaro was fucking cashmoney on 32-bit but when I tried 64-bit, it crashed my ssd.
It crashed.
My SSD.
Then wiped it somehow.
>>
>>53710976
what he said

im the same d e s u

so much windows shit slowing down my laptop, now the fucking thing has some setting that keeps turning on a narrator presumably for blind people that reads everything on the screen to me

hate it with a passion

been using debian because its easy as pie, and reliable as fuark

want to install bsd on windows partition
>>
File: eos.png (3 MB, 3840x1080) Image search: [Google]
eos.png
3 MB, 3840x1080
>>53710159
>>53710134
>>53709703

I've been using Elementary OS as main my distro for over a year now and I like it. It's really stable in my W520 but in my X230 it's far from stable. Can't really say how it's going to act on your computer but if you are looking for stability, then pick anything else from your list than eOS.
>>
>>53711048
Shit man that fucking blows. I don't have an SSD and my 64 bit install was smooth as butter. You sure you didn't fuck up on installation and chose automatic partition?
>>
>>53711101
can i have the wallpaper, please?
>>
>>53709703
>>53709769
>>53709810
Damn
>>
>>53709703
Why not all of them? Only way to know for sure is to try. I have tried all the popular distros and I still keep tabs on the major ones. Nowadays I like Cinnamon a lot, and I run it on Debian.
>>
>>53711285
I found it, though is not so large..
>>
File: wallhaven-191457.jpg (526 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
wallhaven-191457.jpg
526 KB, 1920x1200
>>53711285

There you go.
>>
>>53711262
Yeah I'm always extremely picky about that since I have a windows partition. Always manual. As soon as I clicked to install and restarted, everything started fucking up. Lost both partitions. Now I'm scared to install any linux distro because of that. I'll be buying a separate drive for each system now.
>>
>>53711575
thanks
>>
>>53709724
>Fedora is also based off of RHEL
wasn't it the reverse

op ask yourself if you want an indian os

from the buntus kubuntu is the best
>>
>>53711262
I backed all my shit up before the install in case anything went wrong. I'm sorry for you though.
>>
>>53711872
Meant for
>>53711584
>>
>>53711048
what you get for trusting installers
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.