[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I think it's about time we wrote our own imageboard software
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: 1458746607381 (1).jpg (129 KB, 586x614) Image search: [Google]
1458746607381 (1).jpg
129 KB, 586x614
I think it's about time we wrote our own imageboard software /g/.

Logos would be nice as well.
>>
File: prodigy-online1.jpg (11 KB, 172x172) Image search: [Google]
prodigy-online1.jpg
11 KB, 172x172
we should call it prodigy cause we are so smart
>>
We already did. ;)
>>
Shills circle jerking in their natural habitat I see... O. O
>>
>>53707877
a 12 year old could write their own imageboard software, the hard part is getting anyone to actually use it

why should anyone use your shitty site when 4chan exists, OP?
>>
>>53709362
This.
I made a simple image board in highschool but nobody ever used it because why would they?
So I just uploaded flash games to play in class and called it a day.
>>
>>53709362
Pretty much. There are dozens of image boards. Dozens of any type of site. It's difficult to get real users.
>>
>>53709362
>image board software
>>
thanks for reminding me that I haven't visited one of the old chans I used to frequent. It's horrendously slow.
>>
>>53709812
?
>>
>>53709866
He talked about a website when OP was talking about creating a software for reading 4chan
>>
>>53707877
I'll start on the logo
>>
File: kitałke.png (4 KB, 173x201) Image search: [Google]
kitałke.png
4 KB, 173x201
Imagine you never knew what a chan is and you have to program a new forum software with chan features like
>no accounts
>tripcodes (or maybe something new) as a way to prove identity
>ability to reply/link to other posts
>ability to attach pictures/videos/files to every post

What would you do to make it more "modern"? There are some concepts that every chan software reuses for no reason.

>auto_increment post numbers
Why not generate an UUID for every post/thread and make clicking the reply button insert it in the textbox as
>>UUID
? Another improvement would bo to use something better than a regular textarea to make these links appear as a single element.
>shitty website layout in general
Why not make it more like a real time chat app?
>>
Already have a logo idea
>>
>>53710586
>Why not generate an UUID for every post
Because
>>c1fe6b29-8daa-4a23-8163-318a3dfeb2be
is much uglier than
>>53710586
. It also prevents little things like dubs/gets.

>Why not make it more like a real time chat app?
4chan posts are normally a bit longer and higher effort than an IM message. Only slightly, but still. A chat-style system would change the mood a lot. (I'd approve of quicker updates to threads rather than having to mash Update, though. Websockets, anyone?)
>>
File: hfJES.png (325 KB, 1094x668) Image search: [Google]
hfJES.png
325 KB, 1094x668
>>53712328
>>uuid
might be replaced with something like
>>Post by Anon, 5 minutes ago [expand] [goto]
it would be completely hidden from the user and only used for permalinks. dubs might be replaced with dice rolls

>A chat-style system would change the mood a lot.
I think it would be cool on faster moving boards and not change much on slower ones. I'd make it look like in pic related minus the members list
>>
>>53710586
it would start with a catalog only. Chan threads have some anachronisms but they work. The catalog view is a HUGE improvement over the paginated view. Then on top of that the catalog at catalog.neet.tv has pinning that completely wrecks regular bookmarking, and hover previews which are nice.

>>53712925
The quoting/linking style reminds me of forum software.
>>
We should have upvotes. No downvotes because that's mean.
>>
>>53713206
>The quoting/linking style reminds me of forum software.
the point is to make it kinda normie-friendly but still keep most of the chan features

>>53713451
number of replies is enough of a post quality measure and it prevents unpopular opinions to pass unnoticed
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.