[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
this is technically the beginning of open source hardware fo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1366_2000.png (89 KB, 800x368) Image search: [Google]
1366_2000.png
89 KB, 800x368
this is technically the beginning of open source hardware for consumers and /g/ doesn't even talk about it:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/24/11301220/steam-controller-cad-files-download-valve
>>
>>53707193
>videogames
wrong board
>>
Open source hardware has been around for years.
>>
>>53707193

Nothing special about cad files for a shitty controller for a dead console

Clones were already being sold out of China before it was released
>>
File: ramiel.jpg (270 KB, 1024x1325) Image search: [Google]
ramiel.jpg
270 KB, 1024x1325
I mean like open source coding has a pretty low bar for entry, but I feel the skills and tools required to make stuff from this is a bit beyond your usual enthusiast.
Good on them, it certainly earned them enough goodwill/buzz but really how many people are going to take advantage of this ?
I don't even hear people talk about the steam controller anywhere these days.
>>
>>53707537
I can see someone modifying it and making a fightstick or something. I would totally get something like that since SFV is supposed to be coming to steamOS/linux this spring
>>
>>53707571
yeah but my question is who is this someone ?
Seems like the skills needed are already uncommon and then you have to find someone interested in the steam controller and making fightsticks.

its the same reason 3d printers never really took off, sure they are cool as shit, but really wtf is the average person going to use them for ? to make stupid figurines , that gets boring fast.
Unless you were already making this sort of stuff before and 3d printers have helped with your existing work flow /projects then its just a fancy toy for most.
Same thing with releasing the CAD files , how many people do you think were waiting for a moment like this , seems like very very few.
>>
>>53707520

nice meme /g/entooman
>>
>>53707631

this someone can be a company when people on PC want to play fighting games without paying a huge load of money for and inferior PC

even if Valve gets a cut from any business that want to make something with this, it's still cool that Valve could bring us the year of the linux desktop
>>
>While Valve encourages those who design unique modifications for the controller to share their creations, company approval is required in order to sell them.
OPEN SOURCE
>>
Pretty cool move, I wasn't expecting it. Valve is taking some good steps with the Linux and open source.

>>53707697
creative commons, unfortunately. Fortunately, 3d printing vendors don't give a fuck and will make you whatever you want
>>
>>53707193
that is not open source. In fact it's far from it. They didn't release anything about the electronics inside. They are trying to get you to design accessories for their controller FOR FREE.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.