[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>sudo apt-get purge lxterminal >sudo apt-get install lxterminal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: pepe.png (660 KB, 1106x1012) Image search: [Google]
pepe.png
660 KB, 1106x1012
>sudo apt-get purge lxterminal
>sudo apt-get install lxterminal
>still the same settings

I had to manually find and delete the configuration files.
For all I know there could be more configuration files at other places.

I though linux was supposed to "just work".

Do other data leak everywhere without notice?
Is my terminal history stored to other places other than $HOME/.bash_history? Do I ever stand a chance of successfully shredding a file on this stupid journaled file system?
>>
It's because you're using apt.
>>
>>53696922
>stupid
>journaled
>>
File: 1454776421718.jpg (43 KB, 590x400) Image search: [Google]
1454776421718.jpg
43 KB, 590x400
>I though linux was supposed to "just work".
who told you this lol
>>
>actually installed linux

We got another one, boys!
>>
Why would your package manager delete files from your home dir? Are you retarded?
>>
>>53697013
This.

Home and root are two different concepts.

It's great if you want to backup your shit, because simply copying your home folder will keep a copy of everything you can change or do without root access.
Settings, solitaire scores, files, the lot.
Makes Windows look like a confusing pile of shit.
>>
>>53696922
>lxterminal
>>
>>53696922
Literally install NixOS
>>
>>53697040
>if you want to backup your shit
>doesn't even contain custom display manager settings or custom repo info
F-
>>
>>53697105
Custom repositories are settings for the package manager, which is a tool for system administrator, hence it is stored in /etc.
>>
>Linux
>just weeks

Pick one and only one.
>>
>>53697462
Linux just werks :^)
>>
Its probably a dotfile in your home directory, or in .config/. If not, try /etc/
>>
>>53696922
How does having a journaled file system have anything to do with this absurd complaint? You clearly know very little about how operating systems actually work.

Also, both OS X and Windows use journaled file systems.

Finally, no deleting your configuration files is very much intentional. The vast majority of users consider this a feature, not a bug.
>>
but purge ... remove...why 2 meaning the same
>>
The whole fun of linux is configuring everything yourself so you get a real knowledge of the system
>>
>remove
remove is identical to install except that packages are removed instead of installed. Note that removing a package leaves its configuration files on the system. If a plus sign is appended to the package name (with no intervening space), the identified package will be installed instead of removed.

>purge
purge is identical to remove except that packages are removed and purged (any configuration files are deleted too).
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.