[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw you can run out of 16gb of ram with linux. I was running
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Figure-2_reference.png (102 KB, 600x413) Image search: [Google]
Figure-2_reference.png
102 KB, 600x413
>tfw you can run out of 16gb of ram with linux.

I was running maybe 50 chrome tabs and five 4K images on GIMP, but that should not add up to 16 fucking Giga(/bi)bytes...
>>
Did you swapped or what?
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>53695811
Install The Great Suspender for Chrome
>>
>>53695811
Open a resource manager (htop?) and check for yourself what's using all the ram. Also, notice that 'free' and 'used' ram are 2 different things. Linux is caching the files you access in memory unlike windows, but if a program needs those resources they'll be freed.

P.S: 50 tabs of chrome can use 16 gigs with no problem, depending on the web app you've opened.
>>
>>53695872
Chrome was indeed the biggest memory hog, can't remember now how much it was using, though
>>
>complains about utilizing resources

Typical windows user
>>
>>53695811
>Giga(/bi)bytes...
wat is this shit
>>
>>53696075
There is a difference between a Gigabyte (1,000,000,000 bytes) and a Gibibyte (1024^3 bytes).
>>
>>53695811
Botnets are memory hogs breh
>>
File: 1458524429073.jpg (44 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
1458524429073.jpg
44 KB, 633x758
>>53695811
I guess you fell for the 16 GiB RAM meme.
>>
I will frequently have multiple programs open in KDE on Debian, and I rarely use the whole 2G of ram my maschine has.
>>
>>53696075
typical /g/ autism, don't mind it..
>>
Should've used more
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.