[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
need a linux distro to dual boot to for programming in C and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1
File: fedora_infinity_140x140.png (6 KB, 140x140) Image search: [Google]
fedora_infinity_140x140.png
6 KB, 140x140
need a linux distro to dual boot to for programming in C and CPP thinkin arch or fedora ive only ever used ubuntu though. What distro should i use to do some woorkkk
>>
>>53688496
It's pretty simple

>I want a functional system that lets me get things done
>>Ubuntu

>I want to fit in with a bunch of faggots from /g/
>>Arch
>>
>>53688496
Any one works for that, just depends on how much time you want to put into setting it up
>>53688519
Excellent meme m8
>>
>>53688519
what about the fedora anon!
>>
The operating system you're on this exact second.
>b-b-b-but t-they said i n-needed linux to develop in C!
>>
>>53688519
>Ubuntu
Shut up, this OS is shit, Canonical is shit and Unity is cancer

Just install non-timesink god-tier distros like Debian or Fedora
>>
i suggest you use a source based distribution like gentoo. because all of the libraries and includes will be available to you without having to install some shit
>>
>>53688539
I'm creating a CLI program doing that in windows would be real fuckin annoying senpai bam
>>
>>53688496
Slackware, Gentoo, LFS or FreeBSD
>>
>>53688550
heard gentoo was hard as shit to install tho
>>
>>53688570
>hard
Nope, you just have to read the fucking manual
But it's true that the installation is a fucking timesink.
>>
>>53688545
>like Debian or Fedora
>hurr let me recommend the distro that makes it so that proprietary packaged can't be installed unless you edit a text file and the distro that doesn't have any packages at all so it required a 3rd party repo to install mplayer oh and lets not leave out their vendetta against certain chromium and gnu drivers. Oh and fuck font rendering lmao
You are the reason people hate Linux
>>
>>53688622
gpu drivers*
>>
>>53688570
its not that difficult by any means. if you want difficult or rather, annoying, look to lfs. gentoo packages a base system for you to get started with, called the stage3. honestly theres nothing more to do but configure files in /etc if you use genkernel. i recommend you give configuring a kernel a try though. get it over with, then you can copy your config through kernel upgrades. if you have trouble theres a handbook written to help you. i suggest cross referencing with the 2013 handbook with now's because todays isnt good
>>
Only noobs and Mac faggots use Ubuntu..
>>
>>53688496
>linux distro
There is no such thing. Linux is a kernel.
>>
>>53688622
Are you litterally braindead ?
Seriously, if you want to use proprietary softwares, you just have you write ONE SINGLE LINE!
>mplayer
Lmao, who use this ?
>fuck font rendering
u wot m8?
>>
>>53688708
This meme needs to die.

>>53688496
Fedora is good. I use it and I'm pretty happy
>>
>>53688709
mplayer is really great what are you talking about
>>
Arch because of the AUR and also because Pacman is faster and superior to apt-suckcock
>>
>>53688758
enjoy brocken xorg
>>
>>53688773
Xorg will never break unless you're retarded enough to use proprietary drivers in which case you deserve everything you get
>>
>>53688797
>using third party driver instead of the official
Holy fucking kek, linuxcucks are fucking retarded
>>
>>53688519
/thread
>>
>>53688773
Where does this meme come from? X has literally never broken, the biggest problem I've had is screen tearing which is fixed with proprietary Nvidia drivers and one line of code to enable vsync.

Most of the negatives people mention about Arch are completely made up, it's like the people who complain the most have never even used it.
>>
>>53688758
Apt doesn't break your shit.
>>
>>53688901
>it's like the people who complain the most have never even used it.
They usually spout memes they heard from other people on /g/
>>
>>53688870
free or open source alternative for the people who care, which is why gnu and linux were made. is he really the retard? or you?
>>
>>53688906
apt can suggest crazy things sometimes like, wanting to remove all the packages in base
>>
>>53688519
>Trying to develop on Ubuntu
Enjoy all of your shit being outdated.

I contribute much code to FOSS and most development happens on the live tracking branches. Needing bleeding-edge or at least not-2-years-old versions of libraries to hack on implementing, say, support for new features, is a pretty common expectation.

I actually switched from Ubuntu to Gentoo just so I could use more recent versions of libraries. Would never switch back even if you paid me.

Apt is broken by design either way, RPM is much better.
>>
My university cs labs use redhat EL. Id install centos if I were you.
>>
>>53688922
>proprietary driver made by professionnals that actually know how the graphic card work
>free shitty driver made by neckbeards with probably hacky approximative and instable code
>freetards pick the free driver
>>
>>53688949
Got a question... is it really necessary to compile everything with gentoo? Isn't it possible to set up the package manager in a way so it downloads binaries?
>>
>>53688949
What's wrong with apt?
>>
>>53688560
I doubt you'll be making something complex enough for Linux to make a difference.
>>
>>53688982
Nothing, these people are just autistic
>>
>>53688622
this guy gets it
>>
>>53689011
No you don't get the point of gnu/linux... faggots like you could use mac of Windows as well, wouldn't make a difference you fucking botnet slaves
>>
>>53688967
thats a bad generalization. seems like you still missed the point though which was that they will want to use the free driver because its free. you know, i bought a low end radeon card to take the stress off my single core cpu when i had it (now i own a core 2 duo) and tried to use the proprietary drivers. loading the binary blobs in when comfiguring my kernel. booted it, didnt work. now i chose the free ATI driver in graphics support and that actually works.
>>
>>53688981
theres the -g and -G options for emerge which do that i think
>>
>>53688981
>is it really necessary to compile everything with gentoo?
Not strictly, no. Portage has support for binary packages. Gentoo itself delivers a few, for example firefox-bin or libreoffice-bin. (These exist mainly for packages so huge that compiling them is actually a problem, especially on systems with limited memory. Some of them can need 8 GB or more to build.)

Some distros based on Gentoo (e.g. Sabayon) ship binary packages for everything. You could use one of those if you really wanted to. I still wouldn't recommend it, though.

By limiting yourself to pre-built binaries, you're losing some of the flexibility that drives people to Gentoo. For example, consider the simple ‘vim’ package.

Vim has an optional compile-time flag that allows it to integrate with the X11 clipboard (so you can directly copy/paste into vim from other applications). By way of implementation, this requires vim link against X11 libraries, which are built as part of the X.org package.

As a consequence:: enabling clipboard support in vim requires pulling in the X.org server. Since many people want vim on a headless server (but not X.org), debian, ubuntu, fedora etc. simply don't enable clipboard support in their prebuilt versions of vim - so the package doesn't have to depend on X.org.

Gentoo escapes these kind of situations via what's called USE flags. Optional features like these can be enabled or disabled on a per-package basis, depending on the specifics of your environment.

Running a headless server? Set USE="-X" and you won't get anything that would otherwise pull in X.org. Running a desktop? Set USE="X" and get full integration. Using KDE? Set USE="kde qt" and you'll get KDE/Qt integration where available. etc.

Gentoo comes with thousands of these USE flags, often offering dozens per any given package. With binary packages, you lose this advantage - which is one of the biggest reasons people use Gentoo to begin with.

cont
>>
>>53689129
You get other benefits from building from source:

1. The ability to have packages that track directly from git (or specific git branches). For example, say you want to benefit from the latest and greatest ‘mpv’ features. You can just configure portage to pull mpv straight from the newest available source (via git), and get the newest available version every time.

Especially for developers, the ability to easily switch to git versions of programs to see if a bug has been fixed (before reporting it, or after the maintainer asks you to do so) and then switch back to the stable version afterwards is invaluable.

2. The ability to specify custom source patches. Sometimes, programs just don't work the way you want them to. Sometimes, you have to fix bugs or add features yourself. Sometimes, those features are slow in getting upstream - or upstream rejects it.

Portage lets you very easily hook your own patches into the compilation process. For example, you can just throw a .diff into /etc/portage/patches/<category>/<packagename>/ and it will get applied automatically whenever you build that package. (Or you could append a version suffix to <packagename> and it would only get applied to that particular version)

3. The ability to use custom CPU-specific optimizations in GCC. Usually, distros need to compile “generic” code that can't use the latest and greatest AVX2 vectorization features (or whatever), because their packages need to run on all machines. Building locally removes this limitation.

4. The ability to use hardened GCC or other nonstandard toolchains. Suppose you want to run a system with PaX, or SELinux. Or say you want to run a system without systemd. Or say you want to use clang globally instead of GCC. Or say you want to test out graphite loop acceleration in GCC.

With Gentoo, you can. It's designed to give you the choice, not the maintainers.
>>
>>53689129
Oh, also; if you have a powerful machine and a weak machine - you can use the powerful machine as a build host for the weaker machine.

(For example, say you're running Gentoo on a low-powered netbook and want to benefit from your desktop PC's compiling prowess)

That give you the benefits of binary packages (on the weaker machine) with the benefits of building from source.
>>
>>53688982
The tooling is significantly dumber than RPM. RPM has some of the best tooling for package maintainers, including the ability to build all of your packages in an isolated environment to ensure 100% consistent package building across machines, and to make sure all your packages are sufficiently stripped, labeled, formatted, etc.

Apt puts more of a burden on the package author to make sure their package conforms to all the expectations.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.