[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you get a robotic prothesis in the future, even if you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6
File: my logic is undeniable.png (400 KB, 640x425) Image search: [Google]
my logic is undeniable.png
400 KB, 640x425
Would you get a robotic prothesis in the future, even if you didn't need one, /g/?
>>
>>53686269
Fuck yes.
>>
>>53686269
Why pay for it if you don't need it?
I'd figure that they would be expensive as fuck, let alone available to the public.

Plus, it would be kind of depressing to know that you aren't fully human anymore.
>>
>>53686369
My goal in life is to create open , no patent artificial limbs from a nonprofit that will distribute them at cost. Organs too.

Eventually I would like to create an Afterlife software so that scanned brains upon death can be hosted in a virtual reality.

Not sure about the second one though.

I want basic problems to just be fucking fixed already. Tired of all of our energy going into blowing people up and making more money.

Granted, it is very complex and expensive research.
>>
>>53686440
>>53686369
Meant for OP, sorry
>>
>>53686269
I'd rather keep to my organic components until they stop working. But, replacing the hand if I lose some fingers? Maybe...
>>
>>53686269
I'd prefer a body out of mimetic polyalloy but until then i'd be content with merely super human artificial limbs and senses.
>>
>>53686269
Sure, if we reach ghost in the shell level tech.

But that's just not going to happen.
>>
>>53686440
>afterlife software
I'm assuming you know that would just be a copy of you and the real you would still die, right?
>>
>>53686534
nobody would know the difference
>>
>>53686575
this is the biggest meme ever
>>
>>53686534
>that would just be a copy of you
yep, this is a bummer. also, whats the point of creating a copy of a flawed human being, when you can have AI which outperforms us in any possible way.
>>
>>53686575
It's like you didn't even watch Transcendence
>>
>>53686269
I'll get a robotic dick to satisfy the needs of my robotic waifu.
>>
>>53686269
Extra fap arm? Obviously
>>
to be honest, I'd like a new set of eyes. It sucks have an eye that is barely used by the brain and you have to wear an eye patch every now and again to actually use it. Plus I have no depth perception.
And
>all the stuff mechanical eyes could do
>>
>>53686269
Those scientists are the most retarded bunch ever.
>lets perform surgery & move nerves into the guys chest so we can implant sensors in them instead of just - 'yknow, moving the sensors.
>lets make each nerve control one motor in the prosthetic arm instead of just using inverse kinematics so all he has to is move the hand on all 3 axis + rotation and the elbow and shoulder will sort themselves out LIKE OUR BRAINS NATURALLY DO AND ARE EXPECTING TO HAPPEN.
>lets make the arms tiny compared to the rest of him instead of making large battery banks where his biceps and triceps should be extending the service time and making him look less retarded.
>lets use a molded cast of his chest instead of just attaching titanium rods directly to the bones in his shoulder which would be more comfortable and extend his range of movement using the existing muscles and skeletal structure in his chest.
>>
No, I'd like improvements to organic limbs though. The one thing I'm scared of is loosing feel. I like feeling stuff, it makes me feel alive. Loosing feel would likely be the last push to suicide for me, and surely a lot of others.
>>
I'd voluntarily have an eye removed if I could replace it with one that had built in zoom, night vision, and FLIR.
>>
Of course.
>>
Can I get a rusty metal skul gun?
>>
>If I didn't already need it
Fuck no, I don't want to look like a freak if I don't need to. I'll go to the gym more if I want superhuman strength or speed.

>If I was a car accident victim and was missing limbs or became paralyzed
Sign me up, senpai. I'll be a robot man over a limbless burden to society that can't undo his own pants to shit.
>>
>>53686269

I did toy with the idea of making a robotic finger for myself when I had a big infection on it. It was going to have a laser and everything, but a few weeks of strong antibiotics cleared it up.

I still wanted to improve my body so i just got /fit/ instead.
>>
>>53687435
Were you finger blasting black chicks again?
>>
>>53687488

Yeah, its a mistake you only make once.
>>
>>53687511
Pics of infection?
>>
>>53686534
you do realize when you go to bed tonight falling asleep is the last thing you will experience and tomorrow, a new person will wake up in your stead with your memories, thinking it has been alive all along?
>>
>>53687571
This can be disproven by placing a camera at your bedside and playing back the footage of your sleep. Fucking solipsists.
>>
>>53687544

Can't find them since it was 3 years ago, but it was a MRSA infection about 4cm long.

Google mrsa infection if you want to see.
>>
Only if they were at least as functional as my current limbs. What I really want are cybereyes that let me see in infrared, maybe even the entire EM spectrum.
>>
>>53687659
Going to go out on a limb and say you got that from doing mixed martial arts. Either that or you work at a sewage treatment facility.
>>
>>53687692
The issue with having extended eyesight like that is your brain probably does not have the facilities to properly interpret a highly extended range of information from the optic nerve. The implant would have to interact with your brain using secondary means or compress the color data to be of lower resolution to fit all the extra bands in, not unlike compressing an mp3 further to keep the file at a set size whilst increasing the overall play time. No such thing as free lunch.
>>
File: 1454224371644.gif (4 MB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
1454224371644.gif
4 MB, 350x350
"With these upgrades you never stood a chance"
>>
>>53687694

Nah, it was from a small cut I left open at school, probably from the filthy school gym.
>>
>>53687639
I don't think you get what I was trying to say.
>>
I'd replace my shitty eyes and heart, maybe teeth too. Couldn't do limbs unless I already lost mine though.
>>
>>53687744
neuroplasticity is some crazy shit, it's plausible that the extra spectrum bands could be plugged in as a third eye
>>
>>53687175
We would if we could.

We have to do surgery because of limitations of current neural interfaces. Direct nerve interfaces eventually fail because they cause an immune response. Targeted reinnervation lets you sense without an implant so it does not degrade.

>> use IK
Some prosthetics do this. It would not surprise me if the arm above actually does this.

It is better to use individual motor control because then the operator can easily specify which side of a singularity they want their elbow on. With feedback from the motors you could get better performance than IK, but that's far out.

>> battery arms
Adds weight and cost. Batteries don't come in bicep shapes yet. This is an experimental arm, we are more concerned with performance than looks.

>>attach directly to bones
We're trying to anon, we're trying to. Problem 1 is that now you have to have a big metal bolt that goes through the skin. These are prone to getting infected.

Problem 2 is that titanium doesn't match the stiffness of bone. This leads to problems with transferring the load to the bone, which can overstress the bone or cause it to rip out.

Bolting to bone is better than the chest thing, but inferior to real limbs. They need surgery like every 3 years.

Maybe some day anon.
>>
depends how good it gets. Prosthetic are extremely lacking right now.

>same as organic parts
no
>slight improvement
no
>big improvement
would consider

I would use the shit out of augmentation though
>>
>>53686269
I'd rather wait for nanobots.
>>
Sikk ass robodongzzz....
>>
>>53686534
Could be copied or transferred. Using quantum teleportation you could remove all electrical signals from the brain and put them into a computer.
>>
>>53687744
>>53687919
You could just have different viewing modes and show everything in color like we do with current non-visible light imagers. Besides, sensing across the a wide swath of the spectrum simultaneously would be challenging.

We could probably sense near IR, RGB, and UV at the same time, but stuff like thermal imaging is gonna need different optics.

But what I really want is a HUD
>>
>>53688156
So how do you use quantum teleportation to remove all electrical signals from the brain?
>>
Fuck ya. I need my limbs
>>
>>53686666
satanic quads of the ultimate truth
>>
>>53687571
No. Your brain activity is never fully interrupted, which is why you still have a sense of time and continuity when you go to sleep.

Creating a copy of you will basically be making an artificial brain completely separated from the original.
>>
>>53686440
You are a good person, anon. I have an attitude similar to yours.

>>53686534
It is sad, but leaving a copy is better than leaving nothing after yourself.
>>
>>53688082
I second this.

>>53688009
Finally, a thoughtful comment on /g/
*applause*
>>
File: No.gif (1 MB, 339x336) Image search: [Google]
No.gif
1 MB, 339x336
>>53686269
as far as the human body goes, replacement parts never work as well as original equipment
>>
>>53686269
>I never asked for this
>>
I think these guys beat you to it, OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkNeVBaRjag
>>
>I will never be an international law enforcement agent enhanced by nano-tech who can also swim like a dolphin and knows that the conspiracy is real in the year of 2052
Why even live?
>>
>>53686269
only if it looked like the shit from full-metal alchimist
>>
damn I didn't even think about how when we are brain-scanned for VR Life and live forever (like in Diaspora) that it might not be able to be controlled by me but a copy of me...
>>
I want some robot eyes.

I have bad nearsighted vision and clouded with floaters. It isn't all that bad once I'm wearing corrective lenses, but I'd just love never having perfect vision, never having to blink, optical zooming, night vision.
>>
>>53689283
what about information being displayed within your eyes?

i've always been interested in that.
>>
>>53686534
Oh boy here we go. How about the gradual transfer method. You know the one where slowly you replace individual parts of the brain with artificial brain and let the brain adapt to its new parts and repeat until you have a fully artificial brain that you could plug into the vr.
>>
File: 1425136873253.png (61 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1425136873253.png
61 KB, 500x375
>>53689346

Holy shit.
That might actually werk.
>>
>>53689346
but what would happen to consciousness during this gradual transfer method?
>>
>>53689380
Nothing. You can just swap neurons with artificial neurons whenever the neurons aren't firing. Eventually you swap all of them with no break in consciousness whatsoever

Not that that matters at all since you break consciousness every fucking day
>>
>>53689225
I'm not quite understanding what you're referring to, but it sounds like the story Learning to Be Me in Egan's Axiomatic collection.
>>
Why wouldnt I just get an exoskeleton that absorbs shock and takes pressure off my joints while adding strength to them?
>>
I'm more interested in growing / printing organs from stem cells
>>
>>53687261

Shit up Sasuke.
>>
>Wanting a botnet literally inside your body
>>
>>53689993
>implant GNU/Liver
>it has no drivers to interface with your pulmonary system
>die after drinking one beer
>>
>>53688543
I can't help it. I have autism. I need to stop. help.
>>
I remember when I was under 10 years old, I said I'd chop my limbs off to get robot arms. Don't think I still believe in that, but if it was some high tech iron man shit I may consider.

It would have to be really really good. I've always dreamed of having extending arms and super strength, but who hasn't.
>>
>>53687571
Yes. We are only a temporary sense of self awareness. Our memories create the illusion of continuity that we call our life
>>
File: GNU prosthetic body.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
GNU prosthetic body.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>53690031
>>
>>53686440
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFe9wiDfb0E
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.