[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
20X Core 2 Duo Cluster
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
I'm about to buy 20 of these bad boys in the hopes of setting up a linux cluster. Do I need to have a hard drive in each of them or can I somehow run one machine as a host and still access the processing power of the other machines while they are networked in?

If I have to buy 20 drives this won't be worth it to me. I'd like to find a way around it, if possible.

I want to make this 20 core 2 duo cluster because my life is pretty empty atm and this will distract me from all those lovely suicidal thoughts :^)

How fast can I get this thing to go if I figure it all out?
>>
just create a liveCD distro that automatically mounts an NFS partition
>>
Hook up with that guy who has too many flashdrives.
>>
>>53683202
Kek
>>
>>53683158
I can buy 20 flash drives. Do you think it will affect the performance if the data is coming from a usb port instead of a sata connection?
>>
>>53683096
PXE boot is what you're looking for. or, a network boot.

You can also use a flash drive.
>>
>>53683158
>20 CDs spinning simultaneously
>NAS bottlenecked by maxed out network switch
K
>>
>>53683096
Also to answer your question, without the model of CPU let's make a guess that it's a Core 2 Duo E6400 which gets a passmark score of 1,298. Multiply that 20 and you get 25,960, or a little more than twice that of a i7-6700k.
>>
>>53683322
it might be faster depending on usb specs
>>53683344
you're right 300mb/s+ scsi raid 0 on a server is a shit compared to 10mb/s ide ..............................

you really have to consider your application requirements, OP. Most HPC applications don't use the disk a lot.
>>
When you get bored of it mail me one.
>>
>>53683322
Should be alright
>>
So what kind of stuff could you run on such a cluster?
>>
>>53683373
>passmark score of 1,298
Have these scores always been this low or do they lower them when a new round of processors get released?
>>
just to be sure, you realize you'll have to use software designed for clusters?

on the other hand, $280 for some beowulf fun doesn't sounds bad at all, even if even if monte carlo will be everything it'll be ever used for.
>>
>>53683784
A cluster fuck, I'd imagine.
>>
>>53685258
Ba dum tsss
>>
OP here. Turns out they are only pentium dual cores. I still bought ten because fuck it I want to make a beowulf cluster and these are cheaper than raspberry pis. Installing ubuntu on the main one right now.
>>
>>53686027
Pentium dual core or pentium D?
>>
>>53686044
pentium dual core e2180
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.