[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the superior programming language /g/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: zga9iQL.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
zga9iQL.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
What is the superior programming language /g/?
>>
C
>>
>>53678390
/thread
>>
>>53678348
C++
>>
File: 1453321241823.jpg (27 KB, 464x499) Image search: [Google]
1453321241823.jpg
27 KB, 464x499
Java
>>
Python
>>
Rust
>>
>>53678390
This.
>but it doesn't have this feature
#include <bloat.h>
>>
D
>>
HTML
>>
>>53678402

I want to learn how to program, do I begin with C++ ?
>>
>>53678435
Yes.
I started with C++ and I'm doing perfectly fine now.
>>
Basically Rust. Performance of C, but with all the nice features of the many years of research (since C) in language design. Zero cost abstractions and safety. The only language that has this.
>>
>>53678435
No, start with Python for 100-line programs, just to understand how to write the simplest code. Things like inverting arrays, fibonacci sequence, fizzbuzz, ASCII art printer.
Then C, try to do the same stuff you did in Pythong, but use pointer. Fucking use pointers, they're quintessential in C/C++, you'll never use those languages properly unless you learn them. I know people who find them difficult so they avoid them. They're Java codemonkeys.
Then C++. There's a lot of features in C++ that you'll really only appreciate and understand the usefulness if you start by using a stripped-down C++, so basically C.
>>
>>53678348
lisp. It's non plus ultra. It has literally everything all other languages have + more. Also, its metaprogramming capabilities are still unmatched until this day, since 1958.
Thank you, based McCarthy and Russell.
>>
Rust
>>
>>53678546
>>53678410
Why Python and not Perl? With perl everything has a $scalar indicator or an @array indicator infront of the actual value if it's a value you created, so when you're first learning the language, you know very clearly what values ARE EXCLUSIVE TO WHAT YOU'RE DOING and what values are FEATURES BUILTIN to the program.
>>
C
>>
At this point, without any doubt: JavaScript.
If you stop your hurrdurring for a moment you'd realize it's the most used language in the world besides C/PP and ahead of Java.
And it won't go away for a very long time, even if imbeciles are trying to replace it with disgusting languages that "compile to JS".
>>
I'm pretty sure this is bait. JavaScript is a shitty language that makes you look busy, because you have to write so much redundant code to get basic functionality out of it. These "redundant languages" are all you really need, since they are easier to use, and once compiled they are compatible with everyone else's shit.
>>
Java
>>
>>53679051
this
>>
>>53679017
> because you have to write so much redundant code
Nope.
They import packages with npm for a single function.
https://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/comments/4bo951/eli5_this_whole_fiasco_with_javascript_node_and/
>>
>>53678590
>Lisp metaprogramming is unmatched
I found it very unwieldy after learning Nemerle. I'm talking about common Lisp though, are there any better lisps out there?
>>
>>53678590
All you're saying is that you don't know anything about Lisp history or about languages that aren't Lisp, but that's to be expected from a Lisp weenie.
>>
>>53678546

The same can be said with C++ to Java.
>>
>>53678961
>>53679017
>languages that compile to other languages.
I just typed
sudo apt-get install cl-who
and it told me I installed something, but who do I get my cl-who code converted into html code?
>>
>>53679146
what makes you think that? I do know a little bit of programming history, especially about lisp... And not a single programming language is able to create macros like a lisp is. Because if it would, it should behave exactly like a lisp (no exact line between compilation and execution, homoiconicity), which would make it a lisp, since it's a bunch of specifications and not a language per se.
>>53679120
Just looked at nemerle. It does not seem to be bad; it's just that I hate xml's absurd verbosity, and love the idea of programming using directly the data structures which will be used by the interpreter.
>>
All programming languages tend to LISP.

Even language comparison threads like this tend to LISP (see above)

Whoever doesn't know LISP is condemned to reinvent it.
>>
>>53679495
this. I'm learning clojure these days, and even as gimped as it is, being built ontop of a jvm, it's a whole lot more powerful than scala, it's direct counterpart.
>>
>>53679495
Can you help me figure out how to start using cl-who? I'm using slime in emacs, and I can't figure for the life of me how to start writing my lisp HTML.
>>
>>53679542
have you tried to Install Quicklisp, then run in emacs
(ql:quickload :cl-who) ?
>inb4 not your tech support etc.
>>
>>53679621
>(ql:quickload :cl-who)
In xterm:
$ i cl-quicklisp
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
cl-quicklisp is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

So clearly I installed quicklisp but in emacs slime.
CL-USER> (ql:quickload :cl-who) 
; Evaluation aborted on #<SB-INT:SIMPLE-READER-PACKAGE-ERROR "Package ~A does not exist." {BCFA8A1}>.
>>
>>53679674
go on their github and tell 'em
https://github.com/edicl/cl-who
nice macro tho
>>
>>53679753
>go on their github and tell 'em
Are you telling me THEY fucked up and I did everything correctly? I don't like the sound of that.

>nice macro tho
you mean
alias i="sudo apt-get install"
>>
>>53678435
Start with C++ and I'd say 6 months of every day work and intensive learning is enough to consider you did good and then start learning C.

If you want to be a web designer or develop applications for phones and shit like that obviously look into different languages, start with java then or Ruby.
>>
>>53679766
yeah, that one. I should do that too, but I'm too lazy. I only got
alias update=eix-sync && emerge -avuDN @world --keep-going

anyways, even if they didn't fuck up, surely they shall be able to interpret that error. Also, they say on their site to do exactly what you did, and, apparently, it didn't work. So, probably, it's not your fault for not knowing what to do in case of a fuckup, since you've just started to use it.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.