[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did you understand that you are too stupid for programming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: c.png (45 KB, 371x479) Image search: [Google]
c.png
45 KB, 371x479
When did you understand that you are too stupid for programming

>I understand everything in K&R
>I can solve all exercises in K&R
>I can implement multiple algorithms in C
>quicksort, lists, stacks, pointers, strings, memory allocation, you name it
>I have implemented many more algorithms in C and other languages too
>primality testing and searching, binary trees and graph algorithms, asymmetric encryption and many more
>Fluent in multiple languages, imperative, object oriented, functional, and scripting languages
>C, C++, Java, Haskell, Rust, Go, Shell, JavaScript, Python, HTML, CSS, LaTeX and more
>Understand many topics from CS and Math, complexity, big-O notation, etc

But
>I can't make compile and link to something outside of standard C library
>Can't make a makefile in mingw to link in external libraries
>Can't use external libraries without relying on a package manager and pre-compiled binaries
>In Windows I can't even use pre-compiled binaries

Why I fail so hard?
Why I find it so difficult?

Why most tutorials are written like that
>10 steps on downloading and unzipping the source
>1 step in the compile part
>Don't even mention the compile command
>Don't explain the libraries to include
>Say that the makefile is trivial
>>
When people started including CI/travis, build bots, frameworks, dozens of libraries for a simple application, and so on. It's not that I don't really understand the logic of programming, it's that I don't understand why programmers make life so difficult for themselves.

It's just not fun anymore to hack away at a couple of source files without having to commit every line of code, get shat on for a simple typo by feminist non-programmers, have to implement a CoC for projects on Github, and so on. Fuck this hobby and fuck this industry.
>>
>>53675801
I feel you. Not exactly the same, but linking and package dependency hells and shitty build tools and IDEs are making me crazy. I just want to express my algorithms and whatnot in a language, don't want to deal with all that bullshit. I just can't deal with all that bullshit.
Should I try to become a CS scientist or what? Clearly I'm too dumb for real world programming.
>>
>>53675801
>When did you understand that you are too stupid for programming

No, the build tools are shit.
The C stuff is basically 40+ years of crap built upon crap built upon crap. Don't worry it's all going to collpase in a few years.
>>
>>53675801
That shit is fucking nuts and bolts. Not being able to do that shit has nothing to do with your ability to program, the same way not being able to put together or modify a car doesn't mean you're too stupid to drive.
>>
>>53675851

That's why DevOps exist. If you become an expert in all those things that you listed, you can get a nice cozy job doing that for software developers. You probably get paid the same as them but it's more chill.
>>
>>53675801
Thanks to cmake, build environment gets easier every year.

We had to deal with pure makefiles, ninja, scons, autoconf and many cancerous things before which eventually make you want to kill yourself.
>>
>>53676330
/thread
The same applies to aspects of the language itself.
Plus, it wasn't even the best one could have come up with at this time.

We could have improved versions of Algol, Modula, Mesa or CPL today.

One should time travel back when K&R and friends unleashed C and makefiles into this world and wink wink nudge nudge them with a coathanger, then time travel back further and abort them, if they didn't agree to cease working on and annihilate every trace of it.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.