[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why arch?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6
File: CeTlrNMUIAA4c2W_orig.jpg (52 KB, 600x803) Image search: [Google]
CeTlrNMUIAA4c2W_orig.jpg
52 KB, 600x803
why arch?
>>
>>53673433
1. pacman
2. The AUR
>>
>>53673964
This.
>>
>>53673964
Pretty much this.
>>
File: 1440309320454.png (263 KB, 1660x1940) Image search: [Google]
1440309320454.png
263 KB, 1660x1940
>>
File: 4L_daRk6twa.jpg (262 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
4L_daRk6twa.jpg
262 KB, 2000x1000
>>53673433
>because he's not smart enough to install gentoo
>>
>>53673979
I haven't messed with X since installation. I'm tired of this meme.
>>
>>53673964
/done
>>
>>53673964
give this anon a cookie
>>
>>53673433
because gentoo

every pleb who's about to install arch should remember that he'll never be as cool as us gentoopatricians
>>
Because it looks way more appealing than a flat back when I'm hitting you from behind.
>>
When ask seriously, I answer like >>53673964

But honestly, I also chose Arch to brag on the internet and enjoy looking down on noobuntu users acting tough on windows users.
However, I use Arch on my laptop only, and I kept Ubuntu installed on my desktop out of habit.

>>53674351
>tfw too lazy to check the logs to debug the problem.
>tfw
Please do *not* report compilation failures as genkernel bugs

I'd try gentoo or another meme like CRUX later in my journey through autism.
>>
Too much time on your hands: Gentoo
Boring office stuff like spread sheets: Red Hat, CentOS
Gaming and noobs general: Ubuntu
Entry-level coding: Debian
Reale serious coding, top-end server stuff and hacking: Arch
>>
>>53673433
The AUR.
>>
>>53673433
debian testing is full of outdated software
>>
>>53676089
So use Debian sid
>>
>>53675462
>top end servet stuff
Kek
>>
>>53673433
Who's this sæmon dæmon?
>>
>>53673433

When answering seriously, this >>53673964

When answering more casually: because it's fun (and let's be honest, lots of Linux users enjoy Linux partly because it's funnier to use than the other OSes)
>>
>>53673964
/thread
>>
>>53674401
Never had to mess with X ever.
Neither with old Radeon 7770 or new GTX960.
Works perfectly fine from first install
>>
>>53674351
Nah I'm just too lazy
>>
>>53675428
>I also chose Arch to brag on the internet
Number 1 reason right there, as it's evident on /g/

Also 9 out 10 rocket surgeons and computer science PhDs choose Arch for a reason.
>>
File: 1430254324935.jpg (32 KB, 277x277) Image search: [Google]
1430254324935.jpg
32 KB, 277x277
>using Arch
>when Manjaro exists

Literally Arch but doesn't break every 5 minutes.
>>
>>53679699
>Arch for retarded people
No thanks
>>
>>53673433
Because you can't stop sicking dick
>>
>>53673964
as someone trying to get into Linux and fairly new

what is pacman and AUR? why does that make it better than the other choices?
>>
>>53679770
Like Arch isn't for retarded people
>>
>>53680028
>harder to install than most other distributions
>"it's for retarded people"
>>
>>53680052
>harder to install than most other distributions

>archfags consider this a positive
>unaware that you can bootstrap Ubuntu like a Stage 3 Gentoo
>>
>>53680052
How exactly is copy/pasting from a wiki page hard?
>>
>>53680001
>what is pacman and AUR? why does that make it better than the other choices?
It's a meme. They don't actually have an answer.
>>
>>53680095
I never said that's a good thing. This just proves that it's clearly not made for retarded people
>>53680099
It's not but it's harder to install something like Ubuntu
>>
If you do a lot of conf file tweaks, updates don't overwrite your changes. A .pacnew file is generated by the package manager, and you merge the changes urself. Much better than your shit getting blindly overwritten. If you don't do any system wide tweaks, then you don't have to worry about it.
Also, I've tried a lot of different WMs and DEs in Arch, and they've all been pretty nice ootb with a nice guide in the wiki for customizing each.
>>
>>53680123
*it's harder to install than something like Ubuntu
>>
>>53680109
It's like the massive Debian/Ubuntu repositories. Except with only about 2/3 of the stuff, and no vetting. Can literally put anything in it.

Botnet waiting to happen.
>>
>>53680129
>shit you can do in literally any distro
>>
>>53680129
Debian has been doing that for a long time, and well too.
Debian can also automatically manage your /etc as a git repository with zero manual intervention.
>>
>>53673433
feel special without the need to put in the work to use gentoo used to be the case
lots of people i think are special are using it and i don't even have to compile a kernel is the new hipster reason
and then, of course, there are these relentless assholes like >>53673964 who keep talking about pacman like it is more than just another fucking package manager and about AUR like it is of any real-life value and not mostly a bunch of works-on-my-machine-hack pseudopackages.

if you really want something special, you have the choice between
- void. basically like arch in that it's rolling release and has its own flexible and fast packagemanager, but different in that it doesn't use systemd but has its own init system (which is systemd done right, if you ask me, since it does the same thing minus the fucking kitchen sink and the insane binary logs) and that it has libressl by default. there were a few more things i can't remember right now
- go all the way and do gentoo. haven't done that myself in a while but i remember it much less of a hassle than the install gentoo meme makes it sound. it's also different form arch in much the same way as arch, although on top of that you get to compile a kernel (which on modern machines isn't that big of a job really). still the cleanest way to do linux imho.

tl;dr: arch fucking sucks. as yourself if you need maximum software availability, maximum lightweight or maximum flexibility in everything. from there on, it goes debian minimal, void, gentoo respectively. fedora if you want a development workstation that just werks out of the box.
>>
>>53675428
>using genkernel

You don't even deserve to use gentoo
>>
File: arch.webm (735 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
arch.webm
735 KB, 1024x768
>>53673433
>>
>>53680001
Pacman is Arch's package manager, known for being more efficient than other package managers. AUR is the Arch User Repository.
>>
>>53678785
From what I've seen, non-Arch users bring up Arch more often than Arch users. We appreciate the attention the distro gets here though. The more users we get the merrier.
>>
>>53680028
No, you're confusing Arch with Gentoo. Gentoo users are the true elitists and keepers of the timesink OS.They always point out how hard Gentoo is, and how smart they are.
>>
>>53682323
This.
A lot of people say "hurr it's shit and Arch users just brag about it" but in reality they're the ones who constantly post something about Arch.
>>
>>53680384
>void
>no systemD
Hipster trash

>Gentoo
>timrsink compilation
NEET tier trash

>AUR = no real life value
Opinion D I S C A R D E D

Get the fuck out memeposter
>>
>>53680384
I've been using Void for like 3 weeks now. I like it a lot and I'd like it more if there were more packages in the repos and there was documentation for it.

I managed to get almost everything (sound/ALSA, Samba, X, i3, WiFi/wpa_supplicant, ...) working (setting up scanning w/ an old HP all-in-one was a little too much for me)

The only thing that broke was wpa_supplicant, because the new version of dhcpd doesn't launch wpa_supplicant by default - I had to re-enable the hook again.

The package manager itself is really fast and installs packages in a quick manner, Void's servers are a bottleneck though.

t. former Linux Mint KDE user
>>
>>53673433
Because you're too stupid for Gentoo, but still want to be just as elitist.
>>
>>53683663
>>53674351

Gentoo installation is not much different to Arch, moron. The only reason people don't install Gentoo is the compilation time.

Currently I am looking for a powerful laptop so I can actually install Gentoo
>>
>>53683790
>Gentoo installation is not much different to Arch, moron.
But it is
>>
>>53683342
If you find something that isn't packaged and get it working manually, you should package it yourself. Ask in the IRC if you need help, its really easy but the devs will walk you through it and help sort out any dependency issues.
>>
>>53673964
Exactly that
>>
>>53683936
Great hipster distro you got there
>>
>>53683790
>Currently I am looking for a powerful laptop so I can actually install Gentoo
Weak excuse.

I used Gentoo without problems 10 years ago on a Pentium 2 with 350 MHz and 1 GB RAM, thanks to niceness 19 and careful planning.

Nowadays I just use various flavors of Debian because there's not much to gain from Gentoo except as a learning experience. The same goes for Arch.

Arch and Gentoo are much easier to build your own packages for. Debian and Ubuntu are significantly more complex internally.
>>
>>53683790
Arch's is a bit easier, as you have a prebuilt one-size-fits-all kernel and don't have to dick around in nconfig/menuconfig/xconfig/gconfig. Installation is also faster because you're just downloading and copying files.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.