[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you keep the programs and files on your computer organized
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: Organize Computer.jpg (36 KB, 640x334) Image search: [Google]
Organize Computer.jpg
36 KB, 640x334
How do you keep the programs and files on your computer organized and orderly /g/?
>>
>>53673431

appropriately named hierarchical folders
>>
lump them all in one big ass folder
video files are seperated folder
exes are in password protected rar
then group them by date using windows explorer
>>
>>53673431
goodass question.

i have a system going for the past few years with the files split into videos, music, pictures and docs. docs is a fucking mess. tons of gnarled directory trees of old shit and nonsense.

videos is split up into movies and tv shows. i host them on a server with a couple TB of space. music is also on that server.

keeping orderly is a bitch, tho. from time to time i have to manually sift through the garbage i download onto each of my pcs.

i have a few jobs that rsync the files from my server to each client machine. keep that shit on my desktop. in college i wrote a script to automatically sort anything in the directory it's in into the "videos, music, pictures, docs" folders.

i also sometimes keep programs, games, oses, hard-to-find installers and shit...but it gets out of date so often i end up deleting most of it.
>>
>>53673443
this
>>
>>53673506
This is the type of response I was looking for. People who actually dedicated thought and time to doing this well.

I have to do something real quick but you mind if I come back to ask you a few questions later?
>>
I have a folder named after each tracker
>>
>>53673431
Separate hard drives depending on medium, be it games, videos, books, etc.
Recent downloads of any kind are automatically sorted into individual dump folders that also depend on medium before being moved to the appropriate hard drive.
>>
I try. There are too many folders and files that overlap in content so it's hard to keep it orderly. Do I put this in the Projects folder or the Info folder? Automation scripts folder or work folder? Etc. I need a tagging file manner
>>
>>53673431
i dont
>>
>>53673431
Not as well as I should.
>>
>>53673431
hahhahahahahahahaah
I prefer my weekly spelunking expeditions for a program I haven't used in months to your elitist organized structures.
>>
>>53673431
I don't use a desktop.
>>
I don't. It's a mess but I know where everything is.
>>
File: Screenshot-1458895310.png (83 KB, 878x884) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-1458895310.png
83 KB, 878x884
Everything I don't want to lose on D: partition and my work files on Ubantoo VM synced with the based MEGA cloud and shared with Windows through Samba.
>>
>>53673431
>>53673661
I use top-level dirs under ~ for my broad categories:

‘dev’ is for development (e.g. ~/dev/projectname or ~/dev/haskell etc. for smaller stuff)

‘papers’ is for interesting papers I found myself compelled to save, they're just lumped into a single dir since I don't save too many of them.

‘cms’ is where I dump random crap like test files, ICC profiles and (PDF) specs. It's basically disorganized, and partially available on github.

For larger stuff I have an encrypted FS that I mount at /y, with a subvol /y/media that I organize all bulk media into:

This is sorted into:

- diary (guess what the contents are)
- family (stuff I dumped off family members' drives, e.g. photos)
- games
- imagery (this gets subdivided into ‘4chan’, ‘3dpd’, ‘desktops’, ‘jolla’ etc.)
- incoming (I use this as a scratchpad dir for big files)
- movies (subdivided into ‘anime’, ‘3dpd’, ‘yt’, ‘amv’ etc.)
- music
- sounds (assorted sounds of non-musical nature)
- torrents (where all incoming downloads go. Most just stay here, and then eventually either get deleted or sorted into a better place)

I also have /mem which is a tmpfs that I use as my general purpose scratchpad. It gets cleaned out on reboot, so I'm never too concerned about cleaning up after it.
>>
>>53674362
Forgot to mention, I have a shitton of convenience symlinks into /y and other places. for example ~/music -> /y/media/music.
>>
>>53674362
Can I ask you what FS do you use for /y.
>>
>>53674432
also interested
>>
>>53673661
shoot
>>
>>53673431
with fire
>>
>>53674432
>>53674444
btrfs, mostly because I don't have the necessary hardware requirements for zfs.
>>
>>53673431

{ desktop1
{ activity1 { desktop2
{ desktop3
{ desktop1
KDE { activity2 { desktop2
{ desktop3
{ desktop1
{ activity3 { desktop2
{ desktop3

GNOME is fine too. It doesn't have that God's gift that's Kontact but it's pretty efficient in removing all the clutter.
Only obsolete proprietary OSes show OP's problems and inefficiencies.
>>
good topic, I am currently working on that.

Everything was split up on a few harddisks, no idea what was where. So I am merging everything in a synolgoy NAS.

photos:
Merged the photos into one folder with a weekl backup to an external hd attached to the nas.
todo: automatic rsync from my local machine to the nas. It does work from the shell, but not with cron so far. Working with keypairs so I can automate it

docs: need to centralize them too, it's just a big mess and needs to be sorted too

general: shared stuff like installers to other clients

Videos: currently on the external hd, want to move that to the NAS internal hd. Also movies are split up on various hds.

Music: done centralized

Downloads: this is more like a temp folder on every machine. I wipe it from time to time. Could be automated.
>>
>>53673431
I don't. When I used Windows I had launchy, on Linux I have terminal and application finder.
>>
Whereisit motherfuskers!!!!!
>>
>>53673443
>folders
not directories

microshill detected
>>
>>53674314
(D:)
le meme face
>>
>>53673431
i just use pcmatic to organise stuff
>>
>>53674972
they mnean the same thing
>>
File: 999.jpg (50 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
999.jpg
50 KB, 500x500
>>53674244
/thread
>>
>>53673431
jesus i dont

i have a partition just for storage, i tihnk the folders are something like
>workspace
>video
>music
>misc

and then i have all sorts of shit in my windows download folder, i just use search everything whenever something isnt immediately apparent
>>
>>53675043
>implying
>>
>Get a computer
>Try to keep shit organized
>Fast forward a year
>Downloads folder suddenly occupies 70% of hard drive
>Get a new computer, transfer nothing
>Repeat
I'm actually not doing so bad this time, there is something satisfying about having directories in directories in directories that only contain one or two files, as long as everything is organized neatly. My music folder typically ends up being the worst when I go on downloading sprees, and everything is organized differently, and it really forces me to take time making sure each track is named properly, in the album folder, in the artist folder, and in the music player (which is a bitch when you start moving things around and suddenly it can't find your files and you have to start all over from scratch)
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.