[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/, I'm an 18 year old high schooler. How do I get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 8
File: AP_Logo.jpg (21 KB, 662x384) Image search: [Google]
AP_Logo.jpg
21 KB, 662x384
Hey /g/,

I'm an 18 year old high schooler. How do I get a 5 on the AP Computer Science test? Like, do any of those Barron's books work?
>>
>>53669569
The test is in Java btw.
>>
>>53669569

>18 year old

Get out while you still can
>>
>>53669618
Why? I'm not underage.
>>
File: download.png (9 KB, 205x246) Image search: [Google]
download.png
9 KB, 205x246
>>53669628

>tfw I'll never be this naive again
>>
>>53669691
So, do you have any advice or not? I don't mean to sound rude, but I'd like some honest advice if you have any.
>>
File: 1458253369573.jpg (3 KB, 229x250) Image search: [Google]
1458253369573.jpg
3 KB, 229x250
>>53669707

>advice

Yea. RUN
>>
>>53669723
Run from what? This board? The test?
>>
>>53669739
EVERYTHING
>>
I took AP java.

Just ask your AP teacher. They would love to see you do well and put effort into studying. Seriously, your teacher has been teaching this class for a while and knows more than any of us. It's less actual programming and more high school test bullshit you will never see again.
>>
>>53669748
Care to elaborate?
>>
File: 1457834532214.jpg (81 KB, 569x802) Image search: [Google]
1457834532214.jpg
81 KB, 569x802
>>53669569
That's a big score
>>
>>53669765
My teacher, no offense to her, doesn't seem to be too on top of these AP tests. Last year she didn't teach interfaces and they were present on the AP test.
I don't want to get screwed over like last year's kids. Did you read any of those Barron's books, anon?
>>
I think I remember a friend using the Barron's book 4 years ago and they liked it. Just make sure you know all of the topics they cover.

Do they still do Gridworld?
>>
>>53669803
Did you take the test?
>>
>>53669830
I've never heard of it. Then again, I've never read a Barron's book yet.
>>
>>53669832
Java's easy mang
>>
>>53669857
Okay, but have you taken the test? If you have, is it easy?
>>
Senior here who got a 5 on the exam last year. Just use your textbook and codingbat. That website's great for the free responses. Also a lot of the multiple choice is just tracing code, so know how to do that. I didn't touch a single prep book.
>>
>>53669925
I didn't get a textbook. Which one did you use? Do you remember the name of it?
>>
>>53669888
For you
>>
>>53670060
For me? The test is easy for me? Is that what you're saying?
Then the answer to my question is yes, correct?
>>
>>53669952
I had Java Methods by Litvin, but you can search for a list of Collegeboard-approved textbooks online, those should all work.
>>
>>53670084
Thanks, man. Or woman. Idk know your gender.
>>
>>53670110
> Idk know your gender
RIP English. I'm an idiot sometimes, sorry.
>>
>>53669569
My advice to you would be to not trip about it too much. AP CS is probably the easiest of all the AP courses. So long as the course wasn't your first exposure to programming, you should be able to nail at least a 4 without studying.
>>
>>53670145
Probably not with my extremely low IQ lol. I need extra help.
>>
>>53670183
Well, was AP CS the first time you'd ever seen or written any sort of code?
>>
>>53670205
torrent some books>>53670183
>>
>>53670205
No, I took Java - H's last year. Although, I just copy and pasted whenever shit got tough. This year I'm a lot better, but I'm still worried about the test.
>>
>>53670234
Are the Barron's books any good?
>>
>>53670205
Same guy who answered OP's question. I got introduced to C++ as a little kid, but I didn't really get it so I basically started the year with nothing. What math class are yoy taking, OP? I was in precalc when I took the class, and it definitely wasn't problem for me. Keep in mind that all AP tests have pretty massive curves, so don't worry about it too much.
>>
>>53669569
I took the exam a few years back. It was about 50 or so multiple choice questions, spanning from things like syntax to figuring out the value of a variable. After that, I believe were 5 (you got to choose 3) written programs. If you know proper syntax, you should have no problem with those. The CS Exam was by far the easiest of the ones I'd taken.
>>
>>53670244
>but I'm still worried about the test
Don't, that's probably gonna fuck you way more than not studying will.

Maybe I shouldn't be commenting though. It's been something like 9 years since I took the damned thing, and I only got a 4.
>>
>>53670283
I'm in Algebra II H's. Please contain your keks.
>>53670284
People keep saying that in this thread. I'd figure something along the lines of programming would be a lot harder than say AP World History.
>>53670297
That's still pretty high lol.
>>
>>53669569
Just program to the point where you know the basics of java really well. Also study gridworld or whatever they're using for the case study now.
>>
>>53670330
I've heard of Gridworld from another anon in this thread. It seems that /g/ really approves of this. I think I'll try it out.
>>
>>53670323
Also OP: get a newer version of those textbooks, they deprecated Gridworld last year. Algebra II is fine. How many AP classes do you have under your belt? I had AP World a few years back, and I thought that it took a little less time out of class to study for. But still, YMMV.
>>
>>53670323
The AP History exam was much harder in my opinion, US being easier than Euro. However, if you feel comfortable coding in java, with and without and IDE, you will have no trouble on the exam. Know how to make arrays, and know how to solve Hanoi just in case. Tower of Hanoi was on my exam, and from what I've gathered, it's been on the last two as well.
>>
>>53670379
I've completed 2 and I'm taking another 2 this year, so that's about 4.
>>
>>53670323
> I'd figure something along the lines of programming would be a lot harder than say AP World History.

I'm >>53670297

My reasoning for saying that it's the easiest of the APs, is that it's the only one that I took.

For context, at the time I was a sophomore, taking geometry, failing most of my other classes, and on a lot of drugs. The fact that I got a B in the class and a 4 on the exam without doing a lick of work (I think I got wasted as fuck the night before the exam), tells me that the class as a whole is a fucking joke.
>>
>>53670297
>Maybe I shouldn't be commenting though. It's been something like 9 years since I took the damned thing, and I only got a 4.
I'm not a burgerclap, would you mind explaining your scoring system? Also, sorry OP, I have no idea what your test is going to be about.
>>
>>53670405
Like, are you actually programming the game or what?
>>
>>53670257
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ap+cs+review
>>
>>53670416
Holy fucking shit. Either your IQ is through the roof, they curved the test, or you're 100% right.
>>
>>53670457
It wasn't really that complicated, you created a stack and just .pop() and .push() until you moved everything from "tower 1" to whatever "tower" the question asked for.
>>
>>53670454
Normal classes score A thru F (I don't think I have to explain that scale).

AP stands for "Advanced Placement". They're basically special snowflake classes. The course is still graded A thru F, but at the end of the class you also have to take an "AP exam", which is graded 1 thru 5, and is completely separate from your actual grade in the class.

Some universities will take an AP class for college credit, allowing you to skip your first semester or two of certain subjects. This is usually based on your AP exam score.
>>
>>53670476
Idk why, but I keked so hard when I read that.
> Here, I typed it in on YouTube for your dumbass.
>>
>>53669569
FUCK YOU KID I HOPE YOU DIE
>>
>>53670518
... was your test in Java?
>>
>>53670540
You'll get your wish. We all die one day.
Although, why the hate? Is there some meme for hating high schoolers taking AP Computer Science exams here at /g/?
>>
>>53670454
AP exams are advanced placement tests, and are the level of classes above honors in high school. You take the test in May, and it's scored on a 1-5 scale, 5 being the best. Usually scores from 4-5 count as credits in college.
>>
>>53670554
Of course, stacks were the last thing we had covered in class the week before the exam. They are really easy. Basically an array that has two built in methods, pop and push. Pop removes the top variable from the stack. push makes the variable the new [0] after moving the rest down.
>>
>>53670523
> Special snowflake classes
Pretty much kek. Although, there are some courses that only have an AP version. For instance, I'm taking AP Music Theory and there's no other level (A or Honors) for the class.
>>
>>53670583
People are bitter and the community is toxic here. What do you expect?
>>
>>53670604
Ohhhhhhhhh. That's what you meant. I thought you were referring to Javascript or something. If that were the test, I'd be ashamed if I didn't get a 5 lol.
>>
>>53670622
I don't browse /g/ that often. My apologies for the ignorance.
>>
AP CS is literally the easiest test ever, if you can't get a 5 without trying you are mentally retarded.
>>
>>53670662
I'm probably mentally retarded then. I just hope I can rid of this retardation by May.
>>
>>53670648
That was one of the 5 available written programs. The other two I did were a program that averaged test scores (2D array of student names and test scores) and a program that was essentially fizzbuzz.
>>
>>53670677
I can do 2D arrays at least. It helps knowing that there are simple concepts on the test too.
>>
File: 4L_9BBfrRBW.jpg (15 KB, 640x155) Image search: [Google]
4L_9BBfrRBW.jpg
15 KB, 640x155
>>53670662
>Implying 80% of all test takers are retarded
>>
>>53670707
It is by far one of the easiest of the AP exams, the only one that was easier was AP Guitar. 80$ well spent on that one.
>>
>>53670718
I would guess that 98% of students in the public education system are retarded.
>>
>>53669851
Gridworld is (was?) your case study. 1 or 2 questions on the extended response are based on it.
>>
>>53670727
You have AP Guitar from where you're from?
I wish that class was around here.
>>53670729
Meanwhile, I never even heard of it until someone brought it up in this thread. Go figure.
>>
>>53669766
THEY ARE TELLING YOU THAT WORKING WITH COMPUTERS IN THE REAL WORLD ISN'T AS GOOD AS IT SOUNDS
FUCK
Especially if you are so fucking autistic that I have to explain that to you.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-24-22-52-37.png (330 KB, 1600x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-24-22-52-37.png
330 KB, 1600x2560
>>53670727
I didn't even know there was AP Guitar. I took one year of guitar in high school and it was full of deadbeat skaters who wanted to look cool.

Post your AP scores.
>>
>>53670784
Want to know how I know you have a tiny dick?
>>
>>53670759
But, that's not relevant to my post. I wanted to know how to get a 5 on the AP Computer Science test; not if working with computers is as good as it sounds.
I appreciate you giving me a reality check, though.
>>
File: liketearsinrain.png (2 KB, 436x27) Image search: [Google]
liketearsinrain.png
2 KB, 436x27
>>53670747
Oh shit, no wonder you don't what Gridworld is. Wikipedia says they discontinued the case studies. Guess thats one thing you don't have to worry about.
>>
>>53670784
>not taking microeconomics at the same time as macroeconomics
>only 13 5's
>not taking any freshman year
Pleb.
>>
>>53670784
It sucks knowing that I'm probably not as smart as you.
My family never went to college or ever got me into anything mentally stimulating because they never did themselves. I got into programming so I at least wouldn't be a complete idiot.
I'm humbled by your scores, anon.
>>
>>53670813
Hurray for not having to worry about something!
>>
File: sad.png (25 KB, 981x741) Image search: [Google]
sad.png
25 KB, 981x741
>>53670784
;_;
>>
>>53670852
1 motivational speech coming up, OP.

Just because you aren't as smart as other people doesn't mean you're inferior. And simply by knowing your faults, you've already become better than the majority. By seeking outside help, and by taking other people seriously, you're already better than you think you are, You are not a second-class citizen. In the end, it is up to you to take control of your life.

Also: seeing that you're going to be a first-generation college student, you're at an advantage in college applications. You will absolutely be able to get financial aid if you seek for it; don't hesitate in looking for scholarships. Even if your parents cannot support you, you will be able to find a good college.
>>
>>53671000
> You are not a second-class citizen
That's probably the best term for how I've felt about myself.
> you're at an advantage in college applications
Yeah, I've been hesitant because I always have the mentality that I won't get shit. But, you're right. Being a first generation college student, I should apply for more scholarships.
Should I put that I'm a first generation college student on my resume?
>>
>>53671064
I'm not sure if you should put it on your resume, but you should've been able to put it on the common app forms earlier this year. If you don't get into any decent colleges this time, consider taking a gap year and applying again later.

For the scholarships: Absolutely! There are tons of scholarships that are still open now and are mean for disadvantaged students like you. The problem is, a lot of them have not takers because everyone eligible has the same mentality that "they'll never get it." Except for you, hopefully.

I come from an immigrant background, and while I may not be looking at life from your viewpoint, I can sympathize with you. If you want, we can share emails or something.
>>
>>53671177
I'm going to community college first, but a few years from now (or however long it takes for me to get through community college), I'll definitely at least apply so I don't end up like the no takers like you said.
As for emails, I wouldn't post it here since I don't want dick pics and death threats from other anons lol.
>>
>>53671257
That's cool, I wish you luck in the future.
Throwaway email here: johndoe3532 at yahoo
>>
>>53671321
Thanks, man.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.