[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>system 7 needed over 1mb of RAM >this made people really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: Mac_OS_7_6_1.png (97 KB, 365x273) Image search: [Google]
Mac_OS_7_6_1.png
97 KB, 365x273
>system 7 needed over 1mb of RAM
>this made people really mad since the previous version only needed 800kb
>all that fuss over 200kb
>fastforward to today
>"Just buy more RAM, pleb."
>there was a massive jump in functionality between system 6 and 7, yet the increase in resource requirements still made people angry
>today functions are removed and the requirements increase

What the fuck is wrong with modern computing?
>>
>>53665239
if system 7 is so fucking great why aren't you using it right now OP?
>>
>>53665239
Hardware too advanced for it's own good maybe.
Defeats the need for optimisation.
>>
Because of amertiturds leak into technology world.
>>
>>53665239
>What the fuck is wrong with modern computing?
Mac users. Duh.
>>
rice
>>
the os needs plenty of ram to store your keystrokes
>>
Hipster SJW gaymer grrrl and fag developers happened, no optimization, no programming talent, no creativity, just abstract bloated shit
>>
>>53665239
>system 7 needed over 1mb of RAM
it angers me that system 7 was a perfectly fine UI yet the lowest ive gotten linux to was 35mb ram use
>>
>>53668276
damn, 160mb here, any tips?
>>
>>53668632
compile a custom kernel, disable unnecessary daemons
>>
File: shitboxed.png (250 KB, 1280x480) Image search: [Google]
shitboxed.png
250 KB, 1280x480
>>53665239
I'd be pretty pissed too if I was stuck on a shitbox with only 4 MB like the majority of Macintosh owners at the time. RAM isn't nearly as significant now as it used to be.

>>53665300
You can't post from it without a pass.

>>53668276
GNU/Linux does far more under the hood in the way of services and general features than System 7 did.
>>
>>53665239
>>all that fuss over 200kb
You were not there, and you have no fucking idea what you are talking about. No fucking clue.

At the time, stripped System 6.0.4 used a bit of 366K, for 1MB Mac plus users, this was a lot, but was acceptable.

When System 7 was announced, it would require all users to have at least 2.5Mb of ram, and that obsoleted all the 512s that had been upgraded to 1MB, and all the Mac Pluses that only had 1Mb, needed 2 1MB Chips which were $50/per meg. so the OS ran you $100, and the memory ran you another $100.

Today, We have 4GB systems, that in order for you to use that extra 500Mb, you have to upgrade to a 64-Bit OS... and all that quibbling about 250X the ram that System 7 needed...

The problem is Microsoft and bloatware. Every version of Crapdows needs 4x the resources, and does LESS... Indexing? gag me! Why the fuck dont you organize your own fucking files?

Cortina? Strip all that extra shit out, and run the bare bones.

The OSs only become good after about 5 years of use, and literally, Microsoft and Apple cannot SHIP a good OS to save their lives, so they ship crapware, and have you test and improve it for a few years, while they milk the living shit out of you for upgrades, hardware and software....
>>
>>53668781
noice. I think when I start web dev I'll try to make my layouts work without CSS or JSS. Not look pretty, just work
>>
what is a linux WM that clones the system 7 interface
>>
>>53669030
>Not look pretty, just work
You don't have to compromise like that, especially in the modern age of minimal design. All you really lose with JS/CSSless design is shitty animations and stuff like drop-down menus, nothing really major. You can design a decent looking site with tables and image maps.

http://main.system7today.com/ is a pretty good example of this, in my own opinion. It doesn't really look that dated, but it displays perfectly on ancient browsers and ancient hardware.

>>53669041
Nothing, just buy a Quadra and run A/UX on it.
>>
>>53669126
the site takes up the left third of screen. Looks dated to me. It is really responsive though, pages actually load immediately once the network goes through instead of taking 1-3 seconds for rendering/bullshit.
>>
>>53665239
Uh, shit proprietary code and all the spookware requirements.

All technology is a means to an end, the end in personal computing is mass surveillance unfortunately.
>>
>>53669255
>the site takes up the left third of screen.

Probably because that leftmost third is as wide as the resolution got at the time.
>this site works best in 800x600

>>53669041
None that I know off, but there's AmiWM if you want something like the Amiga Workbench.
>>
>>53669126
>All you really lose with JS/CSSless design is shitty animations and stuff like drop-down menus, nothing really major.
wut. Most text styling and some alignment attributes have been deprecated in HTML and replaced with CSS.
>>
>>53669392
>Probably because that leftmost third is as wide as the resolution got at the time.
>>this site works best in 800x600
I understand that. That's why it looks dated. Any modern website will scale to the screen or at least center for easier reading.
>>
>>53669255
>the site takes up the left third of screen. Looks dated to me.
Considering the average System 7 box is running at 1024x768 or lower, that's pretty much a given. There's nothing stopping you from using higher-resolution graphics and scaling objects dynamically using percentage widths (which aren't supported on older browsers)

>>53669408
That's where images and image maps come in.
>>
File: 1456076492894.gif (479 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1456076492894.gif
479 KB, 500x281
>>53668781
>Netscape
>9 MB
>>
>>53669438
>There's nothing stopping you from using higher-resolution graphics and scaling objects dynamically using percentage widths (which aren't supported on older browsers)
actually just zooming in the whole site looks pretty legit on my modern browser. Scaling like that sounds like a good idea
>>
>>53669479
Depends on how well the browser scales images. I remember for a long time Firefox had terrible image scaling and made anything look like shit.
>>
>>53665239

>What the fuck is wrong with modern computing?

Shit developers, shit programming languages and shit other thigs.
>>
>>53665239
>>today functions are removed and the requirements increase

What shit-tier OS are you using?
>>
>>53669451
>and it's still a bloated piece of shit
>>53669479
It works surprisingly well, at least good enough for my shitty website.
>>
>>53669614
Any you could name.

Can Windows' image viewer show animated gifs again yet?
>>
>>53669676
No but it can upload your images to MS for you
>>
Literally everything
>>
>>53669676
>tfw Picture and Fax Viewer is gone
;_;7
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.