[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BSD And Other Things
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 12
File: systemmagic_right.jpg (319 KB, 395x600) Image search: [Google]
systemmagic_right.jpg
319 KB, 395x600
*BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, FreeNAS... etc.

IRC: #baot on irc.rizon.net

News: http://freebsdnews.net | http://undeadly.org | http://dragonflydigest.com

Ask questions and get answers!
>>
What good is this on a desktop
>>
>>53662340
Blogpost: Why OpenBSD?
2016-03-24 http://www.cambus.net/why-openbsd/
>>
>>53662389
Desktop or laptop?
Do you want to spend a lot of time customising/tinkering?
Whats your use-case?
>>
>>53662411
Desktop
Depends, does tinkering mean installing every driver manually?
Web browsing, watching videos and listening to music and some graphic design that can be done perfectly through a virtual machine
>>
>>53662473
Many people here prefer OpenBSD as their desktop BSD.
I run OpenBSD and its (really) nice IF you have compatible hardware.
Desktops rarely have compatible hardware, because OpenBSD doesn't run non-free drivers.
OpenBSD is very minimal by default and it might take a couple of hours to completely configure your system.

PC-BSD is a desktop-distro based on FreeBSD, its geared towards power-users and is quite nice.
(FreeBSD/PC-BSD has GPU drivers for example).
>>
>>53662592
OpenBSD would require something like:
0. Install OS
1. Install pkg mirror (1 line in .profile)
2. Do "pkg_add xfce" (or whatever DE/WM you want)
3. Configure battery stuff if laptop

If your hardware is compatible, the biggest difference between PC-BSD and OpenBSD is that OpenBSD still requires lots of terminal usage, while PC-BSD has an AppCafe, etc. (like ubuntu)
>>
>>53662340
New "BSD Now!" Podcast Episode 134: "Marking up the Ports tree"
http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/97986/marking-up-the-ports-tree-bsd-now-134/
>>
>>53662631
>>53662592
Thanks. I wanted to try it since for the last few weeks I've been trying several distros, even tried hackintosh (which doesn't run half bad to be fair). I initially bought this computer for games but I don't have much of a need for those anymore. My specs are i5 4460/r9 280x/8gb, I would doubt that to be fully supported but at the very least it'd be nice to try.

Does OpenBSD have something similar to a package manager or at least a way to install applications directly through the terminal? I always use dnf/aptitude/pacman so that's not too intimidating for me

What worries me most is, if supported, how well will hardware perform in comparison to an average linux distro.
>>
>>53662695
The pkg_ commands ARE the package manager.

When you install OpenBSD you're gonna want to download the ftplist from the main ftp server so you'll know what ftp server is near you to set up a mirror.
>>
I'm trying to install OpenBSD but I have big trouble with that.
I want to create a bootable usb stick.
I tried using rufus and win32diskmanager.
I also booted linux and used dd with a block size of 1M. All to no avail.
My BIOS behaves weird when I have a "bootable" OpenBSD stick in a port. It's basically stuck on the splash screen with the logo and pressing keys changes nothing. The lamps of the keyboard also dont light up.
I tried using a different USB stick and a different port. BIOS is up to date and the mainboard is GA-870A-UD3 rev 2.0

I'd really like to know why this is happening.
I'm using the AMD64 version and yes I did use the install58.fs and not the iso. I also confirmed the integrity.
>>
>>53666434
Are you using the .fs file?
>>
>>53666434
Honestly I never got ANY OS to boot from a USB drive with this motherboard, which is the same brand as yours.

I just burn CDs.
>>
>>53662340
How food is YouTube and stuff with openbsd? Been thinking about installing it in a laptop. That's what my main use for it is. Browsing and YouTube.
>>
5 years and i still am asking people
>"why BSD?"
>"what advantage over X,Y,Z?"
answers:
>muh filesystem is 0,9% faster than yours
>muh copyright anarchy
>muh stable OS
>... etc (reasons that have tiny advantages over others but with sacrificing mush for it)

i am starting to think people use them just to appear smart and interesting -_-

>literally worse than linux freedom fighters
>at least linux have a few valid reasons
>>
>>53668687
>-_-
kill yourself

>>53668457
Works fine here, but I don't have a laptop.
>>
>>53662389
good for spamming BSD threads on

I liked when these happened every month or two

>>53662393
actual OC detected. i'm glad you also feel the openbsd nirvana. some things I might mention:

keep man fdisk(8) open on another computer if you've never installed obsd before

ports are not security combed but the execution environment is an effective noob filter

the uncompromising security stance makes it move faster, e.g., last year or so they replaced sudo apache, and openssl in the base install

nice hype post for obsd, we need a reminder in 2016 that 6.0 is coming out and it really just works
>>
>>53669099
>-_-
>kill yourself

waw you just told me sir!
flawless counter argument you've got there

get back when you can actually can state arguments to defend your OS, and can type more than 5 words before turning full dawn syndrome -_-
>>
>>53662695
>>53664866
there is ncurse pkg_mgr in ports, written in perl just like pkg_tools

http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/usr.sbin/pkg/Attic/pkg.pl

>>53662631
thinkpad

>>53666434
burn a disposable -current CD and install. thereafter you type "bsd.rd" at the boot prompt and you get the install prog

>>53668687
it is so much less to manage than linux
>>
>>53669386
better source link to pkg_*
http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/usr.sbin/pkg_add/
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (9 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
9 KB, 480x360
>>
File: B9dsv_9CYAAd4Rq.jpg (45 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
B9dsv_9CYAAd4Rq.jpg
45 KB, 600x800
>>
>>
>>
File: images.jpg (5 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5 KB, 183x275
>>
File: fbpVf9Xa.jpg (24 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
fbpVf9Xa.jpg
24 KB, 450x450
>>
File: Randi_Harper_Punk_Whore.jpg (24 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Randi_Harper_Punk_Whore.jpg
24 KB, 800x600
>>
>>53669617
>>53669634
>>53669655
>>53669680
>>53669712
>>53669726
why do you have so many pics of that ugly fat meth cunt
>>
File: Randi_Harper_Lipgloss_3.jpg (57 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Randi_Harper_Lipgloss_3.jpg
57 KB, 800x600
>>
File: Randi_Harper_Erotic_Despair.jpg (51 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Randi_Harper_Erotic_Despair.jpg
51 KB, 800x600
>>53669769
>>
File: Randi_Harper_Broken_Love.jpg (18 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Randi_Harper_Broken_Love.jpg
18 KB, 800x600
>>
File: Randi_Harper_Lipgloss_1.jpg (59 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Randi_Harper_Lipgloss_1.jpg
59 KB, 800x600
>>
Is this the chick that runs BSD or whatever?
>>
>>53669981
yeah she runs all the BSD operating systems and the foundations ;^)

but seriously how did the freebsd team feel when she got kicked out i wonder
>>
>>53669991
So is she still in the other ones then? I'm being serious. I don't know any of this shit.
>>
>>53670031
nah she's just a meth whore who pretended to be a freebsd dev

that's literally it, she used the freebsd name in her twitter handle and the freebsd team didn't like that because she's a cunt
>>
>>53670053
> whores be whores

But way more interesting topic, any of you using qt5 on a BSD machine? Was wondering how to configure your qt themes in qt5 since qt4-config, as the name implies, is for qt4 only
>>
>>53670053

why do people feel the need to jack themselves off over hating people like this

it's generally more enjoyable not to obsess over people you hate
>>
>>53670131
anon asks, i answer
>>
>>53670081
Is Qt5 even finished yet?

I don't think it even has an equivalent to qt4-config yet.
>>
>>53670168
No idea if it's finished or not mate.

I found qt5ct but it seems to lack most of the customization of qt4-config. Pretty gay
>>
>>53666434
>GA-870A-UD3 rev 2.0
Try FreeBSD.
>>
How is ArchBSD/PacBSD? I've been meaning to looki into BSD and since I'm using Arch on desktop it seems like a natural start point.
>>
Incoming question; how does someone find what hardware can be used on bsd and its derivatives?; also, what makes them unusable; lack of support or waht?

>thanks
>>
>>53668687
>5 years and i still am asking people
And you still not trying to use?
Fix it right now:
https://www.freebsd.org/
>>
>>53668687
>i am starting to think people use them just to appear smart and interesting -_-
Ding ding ding! We have a winner! Tell him what he's won:
>IT'S YOUR FREE TIME!

Snowflake training dictates that you must use linux only because other people are using windows. Go online and find other linux users, process repeats, what's even shittier? Here's this thing called BSD, there are some "communities" online for some of its distros that haven't seen a comment in 10 years. This is perfectly shit, nobody will ever use it, I can pretend to and say it's better.

Sadly in the height of the contarian age, using some obscure piece of shit "ironically" and even ruining yourself to use it only and fight your gay little fight is encouraged.
>>
>>53671798
Do you have somewhat old hardware without any Nvidia stuff in it?

Chances are most BSDs will support it, then.
>>
>>53671798
>>53671938
FreeBSD support Nvidia and modern PC.
>>
>tfw Pinguino board's on backorder and I have to wait to play with RetroBSD
>>
>>53672144
Unfortunate FreeBSD drop support of AVR (8-bit) and almost abandon support of AVR32..
https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/avr32
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.