[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>reference coolers are hot >reference coolers are loud
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7
File: gtx-960-reference-shroud[1].jpg (101 KB, 945x582) Image search: [Google]
gtx-960-reference-shroud[1].jpg
101 KB, 945x582
>reference coolers are hot
>reference coolers are loud

Why does /g/ continue to perpetuate these outdated beliefs?
>>
>>53654547
it's true on the high end, for sure. when lower end GPUs use reference designs made for the TDP of a higher end GPU, they run quiet.
>>
>>53654547
>>53654581

>>>/v/
>>
File: 73 KB.jpg (74 KB, 640x962) Image search: [Google]
73 KB.jpg
74 KB, 640x962
>>53655082
>implying GPUs are only for video games
You have no proof I am not using it for computer aided drafting and/or video production.
>>
Reference coolers act as exhausts as well, keeping hot GPU air away.

I don't use them because I prefer not to have a hair dryer in my case.
>>
>>53655213
They only sound like hair dryers when you get them above 80% fan speed, and there's no practical reason to ever do that.
>>
File: Nvidiots.jpg (67 KB, 600x453) Image search: [Google]
Nvidiots.jpg
67 KB, 600x453
>>53654547
>Using a shittier 120 watts TDP gpu as an exemple to back up a cooler
>>
File: autism.jpg (25 KB, 343x196) Image search: [Google]
autism.jpg
25 KB, 343x196
>>53655082
>Implying graphics cards are not technology
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (499 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
499 KB, 3000x1688
>>53655346
I could have posted the 970, but then the discussion would have went off course into >3.5
territory, wouldn't it?

980 and 980 ti were candidates, but I would rather choose a representative more within reach of the common man.
>>
>>53655441
It is simply objectively louder and hotter than a non reference cooler.

The only legitimate arguments you could make are for
1) cases with poor airflows, such as mini-itx form factor cases in which case you would benefit from having the gpu exit the air hot from the side
2) Intention of custom water cooling the gpu
3)tight sli configuration
>>
>>53655526
>It is simply objectively louder and hotter than a non reference cooler.

Yes, objectively it is. But from a practical standpoint neither of these things matter much. It isn't hot enough for the card's performance or longevity to be altered. It isn't loud enough to make a difference to the user unless they are looking for absolute silence.

Right now my 960 is sitting at 32 C idle. Under load it will get up around 60 and fan speed will be 50%. It is barely audible at that speed. Certainly the hard drives in my case are louder.

I could let it get higher towards 70 c and keep a lower fan speed and it would be fine. It's my personal taste not to. Old superstitions. But I know from a more technical (and right) perspective absolutely nothing would happen at prolonged 70 C usage.

I recommend you read this article which speaks about the thermal and noise levels of these cards.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_970_and_980_reference_review,10.html

>Once the card is in a fully stressed status (in-game) it reaches roughly 41 dBA. This is at a slightly hearable level, yet not annoying whatsoever. Basically at this level you can hear some airflow when the card is stressed and warm.

It's basically as loud as a PS4, and do you ever hear people complain out the console noise levels?

The thermal page there is worth looking at too.
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nvidia_geforce_gtx_970_and_980_reference_review,8.html

79 and 78 C respectively. This is not the best, not the worst. But it's good for the rest of your system, since all of that heat is going straight out the back of your computer. A comparison including CPU temps would be interesting.
>>
My 980ti SC+ hits 82c with the default fan curve, and really using a high 70-80% fan curve only gets me in the 75-77c range.

I'd rather have a reference card than this garbage, it's loud and hot. I think I have good airflow, but apparently not since it seems like the card is tossing all it's hot air around.

The only way to get it into the low 70s with a decent fan curve is to turn all my case fans to 100% and hear an airplane rearing for take off.

I do have an mATX case though.
>>
>>53656523
These are load temps, right? Don't know what to tell ya other than this was to be expected with that kind of card and a mATX case.
>>
>>53654547
Could you find a worse example?
>>
>>53656553
Yeah under load.
It's mATX, but really it's not that small. It's a corsair 350d.

It should be fine. It's quiet enough with the default curve, and I'm under warranty for 3 years. Just wish it was a little cooler.
>>
>>53656567
As long as the ambient heat in the room doesn't get bothersome it's completely fine. The cards are rated for up to 98 c. People are way too conservative and scared when it comes to temperatures. Remember bitcoin miners run at full load and fan speed in hot rooms for months or years and still don't break down.
>>
>>53656581
Hm, that is comforting.

The only real problem I have with the heat is that the core clock never stays stable, bounces between 1430-1390mhz all the time and is quite frustrating.
>>
File: Insanity-600x380.jpg (30 KB, 600x380) Image search: [Google]
Insanity-600x380.jpg
30 KB, 600x380
I want to burn and sell fitness DVD sets, what do I look for in a computer?
Budget: 300-400$
Selection:online, bestbuy, Walmart.
>>
>>53656649
ask in the stupid questions thread
>>
>>53654547
it's true for amd users.
>>
>>53655137
Are you using nvidia for that? Amd does it waaaaaaay better with gpu processing
>>
>>53657126
In what respect? Raw processing power perhaps, but there are other things to think about. Each GPU to it's own build for it's own use.
>>
>>53656928

GTX480
>>
>>53656649

http://www.produplicator.com/dvd-duplicators-5-sata-24x-burner-tower-standalone-economic.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwoM63BRDK_bf4_MeV3ZEBEiQAuQWqkWop4LQ7IelQ_RUuyl57wpZDfrUUWI_0CSsrHphqFxIaAhTl8P8HAQ

Don't use a PC.
>>
File: xfx_geforce8800gt_compare.jpg (298 KB, 1600x690) Image search: [Google]
xfx_geforce8800gt_compare.jpg
298 KB, 1600x690
>>53654547
Reference coolers are shit.
>>
Reference coolers are good in mini itx builds. Due to the cramped space inside the small case the 'blower' style of a reference card can potentially keep temps of all the other components down since its not blowing hot air back into the case like an aftermarket cooler does.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.