[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lets talk tablets /g/ Seen a lot of tablet threads today Forget
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7
File: ipadpro-surfacepro4-renders.jpg (156 KB, 1600x901) Image search: [Google]
ipadpro-surfacepro4-renders.jpg
156 KB, 1600x901
Lets talk tablets /g/

Seen a lot of tablet threads today

Forget about android because they are the worst.. take the best of 2 worlds, the iPad Pro and the Surface Pro:

One tries to be professional using a touch friendly environment. The other tries to be touch friendly using a professional environment.

Who will most likely win? Should tablets even exist?
>>
ipad is shit

it's just a bigger ipad with a pencil, and still a shitty OS that can't do simple tasks like download torrents
>>
>>53652144
sounds like you're just mad with apple for some reason
>>
Pixel C because the Play store has the best apps and Android is free software.
>>
File: Google-Pixel_C.jpg (274 KB, 2040x1360) Image search: [Google]
Google-Pixel_C.jpg
274 KB, 2040x1360
>>53652468
>android tablet
>>
>>53652215
>some reason

How about every reason? You're not free to do simple shit like downloading what you want, viewing what formats you want, can't even use flash. Absolute shit.
>>
>>53652603
>can't even use flash

flash is dying you fool.
>>
>>53652603
But thats what makes their products so good. You lose freedom in favor of performance and stability

Not like you cant work your way around those minor problems. Its worth having a better experience overall (imo)
>>
when will chinkmoot add filter for imo?
>>
>>53652122
>touch friendly tablet + buzzwords
>200 extra burgers
>>
>>53652122
>iPad Pro
+ pen is actually useful for drawing
+ optimized OS
- limited to iOS apps
- price
- keyboard
- no micro SD
- DAT PRICE YO

>Surface Pro
+ runs x86 programs
+ alright keyboard and trackpad (compared to iPad Pro)
- price
- Windows 10
- weight
- battery life

So basically a good but huge tablet for the price of a decent laptop and tablet that wants to be a laptop but blows at it just like it blows at tableting for the price of a decent laptop. Nope, this shit shouldn't exist for the price they ask.

>Who will most likely win?
iPad Pro due having a clear target audience and Apples superior marketing.

>>53652468
The problem of course being Android. Not everybody is a masochist, anon.
>>
>>53653659
Google Now shits all over anything iOS or Windows has, and the Play store is the only app store worth using.
>>
>>53653761
>play store
>for tablet
Every single android app for tablet is just the phone app but blown up for tablet resolution

There's no effort to use the extra screen space for anything
>>
>>53653761
>Google Now shits all over anything iOS or Windows has
so every x86 windows application is now invalid?
also >>53653659
the surface can run other OSs as well, it's just laptop x86 hardware
>>
>>53653761
>Google Now shits all over anything iOS or Windows has
>Play store is the only app store worth using.
>"My piece of turd smells a bit better than theirs"

All the voice crap gimmicks blow either way and while the Play store has more apps than Apple, the quality is usually below it. Windows store is absolute trash but you have access to much, much better x86 software.

The merger of Chrome OS and Android might make the Pixel C useful but for now, it'd be by far the worst choice, even though they got the hardware mostly right.

>>53653929
But isn't Loonix on touchscreen pretty crap?
>>
>>53653945
you could move to Windows 8.1, emulate android, or deal with loonix. the point is freedom not just in applications, but the OS as well. an iOS device will forever be stuck to iOS
>>
>>53653995
Freedom is only a pro when it adds to your experience though. Emulating Android sounds somehow useful for developers I guess but they are most likely to use actual Android tablets/phones.

Sure, you'll be stuck with iOS on iPad but it's also the device where you're the least likely to run into any problems and shit just works.
>>
>>53653659
>iPad Pro due having a clear target audience and Apples superior marketing.

this desu. People calling any tablet iPads is a proof of that.

Even tough windows has a shit ton of people using the OS they are not using on tablets, only desktops and notebooks (where windows dominates).

Tablets are Apple domain, its more likely for devs and other forms of enterprise to start releasing Pro software for iOS now that the iPad pro exists than people start using the windows store ecosystem.
>>
>>53653945
The voice crap hasn't been a gimmick for a long time, and the tablet mode apps are better than the ones on iOS, as is the scaling. Material design shits all over the blown up outdated iOS apps that might have built in funky keyboards and dials and shit, the UI is fucked. The C resolution shits all over "retina" its what like 30% higher resolution or some shit than the brand new iPad Pro, and it costs $225 less for the tablet and $50 less for the keyboard?? lol the best complaint you can come up with is that an app will get stuck in portrait mode, guess what... its a shit app.
>>
>>53654048
you are right, it comes down to the usecase. in terms of capability, the Surface Pro wins hands down. but the iPad Pro will have a better UI, and less bloat.
for media consumption, iPad.
for casual mobile games, depends on the title.
for document manipulation, Surface.
>>
how well do the $100 z8300 chink tablets work on android? it seems like nobody uses them for android, just windows
>>
>>53654185
I spent quite a while looking at them and came to the conclusion that they all have shit battery life, take half a day to charge, and suffer from thermal throttling issues.. so they aren't worth buying.

Just my two cents.
>>
>>53653761
Sundar Pichai pls
>>
>>53652695
If this isn't bait, you seriously need to end your miserable existence.
>>
>>53654104
>The voice crap hasn't been a gimmick for a long time
Anon, please. Do you really believe this?

The UI and scaling depends a lot on the app, but if there is the same app, it usually works better on iOS, besides, there are just more developers who develop quality software for iOS than Android, which also makes the store less filled with trash, with the downside that most want your jewgolds. And there is the OS itself ... Android is a mess, even on Google devices.

>C resolution shits all over "retina" its what like 30% higher resolution or some shit than the brand new iPad Pro
Sure but at the level they are, it's irrelevant and almost a negative given higher consumption.

Price is obviously better, as is the size but iPad and Surface both have pretty decent pens, which is a huge pro. What does Pixel C offer over iPad or Surface?

>>53654120
>in terms of capability, the Surface Pro wins hands down
Yeah, definitely. It has ultrabook hardware after all and x86 programs offer you much more than most of the ARM crap. Although purely from performance/efficiency POV, A9X is impressive as fuck.

I'd add note taking and drawing on the list, with Surface winning at the former because of better version of One Note alone and iPad being better at the latter because of pen tilt.
>>
>>53652122
>Lets talk tablets
Lets not and say we dit!
All tablets are pointless
>>
>>53654272
>it usually works better on iOS
No it doesn't. It works way better on Android, the only issue you may run into is an app forcing portrait mode.

On iOS you get unsupported keyboard inputs that don't work with the keyboard, boarders around apps where they don't even fill the screen, alternate inputs like dials etc... Its a total clusterfuck and laughable that you would even try to say that Android is worse.
>>
>>53653659
>pen is actually useful for drawing
not as good as the surface pro 4
>>
>>53654261
If this isn't bait, you seriously need to stop being poor.
>>
>>53654309
didn't the Pro 2 have the Wacom tech in it?
>>
Had an iPad 2, turned into complete shit after iOS7. I would kill to be able to downgrade back to that.
Shitty Unbranded windows tablet is nice, but UI is awful and doesn't make for a good touch screen experience.
Now I have a little chromebook with ubuntu. I can still carry it around and get shit done.
I wish I could make the windows tablet my go-to device, but I'm not about to drop $50 on the keyboard.
>>
>>53654322
>didn't the Pro 2 have the Wacom tech in it?
Correct
They use N-Trig now
>>
>>53654059
>People calling any tablet iPads is a proof of that.
You mean like how the 80's and 90's called copying xeroxing yet Xerox was pushed out of the copy business?
>>
>>53654309
Do you even tilt, bru? It's on an other level. Not that noticeable with writing but a big deal for drawing, and the aspect that makes it "Pro"

>>53654305
What you mention is the issue with SOME apps and pretty much given because iOS received keyboard support only recently.

>on Android, the only issue you may run into is an app forcing portrait mode.
And performance and bugs and crashes. Though just the point above, depends heavy on the app.
>>
>>53653761
Pixel C and iPad Air 2 owner here.

Please tell me where the amazing apps on the Play store are, because I'm not finding them. I've spent way more time trying to strain out shitware on the C than I did on my iPad and looking at what I've installed it's mostly cross platform big names and two or things from F-Droid. Aside from a file manager (Amaze) none of the apps are better than their iOS counterparts and some are even worse.

Being totally honest here, I really want to be impressed by the Pixel C and the hardware is sweet but so far Android has been a letdown. At this point I'm kinda hoping its Chromebook origins will lend to making it easy to install a different OS.
>>
>>53652122
>Surface
>can run real x86 applications not just gimped mobile shit

For it's a no-brainer. I have nothing against Apple, but they are selling a tablet with a toy OS, can't do anything serious that require file management on it. So, I'm totally not interested in any iPad. But I think I'll get a Windows tablet at some point.
>>
>>53654460
Inbox shits all over anything you can find on iOS, so does Google Chrome. Netflix on Android can cast to a smart tv in HD.

I used to use some news aggregation apps and restaurant rating shit but Google Now does all of that better imo. Thats honestly like 90% of my use cases.

You shouldn't install apps that aren't from the Play store, you will get malware.
>>
As someone with a Surface Pro 3, I have to say that it's a fantastic piece of equipment, aside from the likelihood that the NSA is tracking me. I never liked tablets because they ran gimped ARM shit, but having an x86 tablet that is also not a brick is pretty fucking cool.
>>
>>53654620
Retarded. Windows is only useful with m+kb. No point in buying a windows tablet, just buy a thin notebook if you want portability
>>
>>53652122
I still think the surface pro sucks because of the battery life. I got the surface book instead but it's definitely not as tablet oriented as the pro.
>>
>>53654659
this whole thread can be summed up with this:
"it depends on the workload"
>>
I just want to use an external gpu using the surface pro 4 connector is that too much to ask?
>>
>>53654706
yes, the surfacebook uses a proprietary connector for their eGPU in the keyboard. you might see it in the SP5 though
>>
Any good Android tablets running x86? Google is gimping their own hardware and it sucks.
>>
Is the SP4's battery life ever going to be fixed?

My sister had one and I borrowed it for a week and it lasted about 5 hrs on average, which is terrible for something which costs $1700.

Is it windows 10 that causes this?
>>
>>53654801
small formfactor + fairly powerful x86 CPU = short battery life
it makes sense from an engineering standpoint, it won't get much better than that.
>>
>>53654801
Does she have i3/5 version? It wouldn't be surprising then. They are using a 39 Wh battery, smaller than on Retina Macbook which gets about 8h with a Core M.
>>
>>53654834
:(

I was going to buy one for myself, until that. I read online that the skylake cpu isn't optimized tho. Could new drivers improve it somewhat?
>>
>>53654875
i5.
>>
>>53654640
>Inbox shits all over anything you can find on iOS
If it's anything like the web version I'm not interested. Inbox doesn't click with me at all. But then again, my circa-2005 gmail account is mostly just a junk+forums address at this point; I might feel better about Inbox if I conducted my business on a gmail address.

>Chrome
Works well but I'm sorely missing Safari's engine-level content blocking. It's amazing how much zippier the web feels when you're not loading several MB of ad+tracking+random JS cruft. I'm aware of AdAway but haven't gotten around to rooting yet.

>Netflix
Tried it and couldn't get it to stream 1080 on the tablet which is a bummer. Don't have much need for cast since my TV runs android and I also have an ATV4, PS3, PS4, and Wii U which are all capable of Netflix and a lot more.

As for non-play apps, what about FOSS apps that are only listed on F-Droid? It's not like Play gives any actual guarantees regarding malware anyway.
>>
>>53654656
Yeah, I'm planning on using it as a lighter laptop, basically. Not planning on using it as a blanket fap machine. So, it will include a wireless mouse and I'll either use its own keyboard or connect one of my wireless ones.

No, I think buying laptops or notebooks is pointless in this century. They were sort of cool last century, yeah. Completely retarded to own or buy a laptop unless you're a student or live in rented houses and have no other choice. Per se, laptops are old shit PC format, antiquated computing format. You either go light with a convertible tablet or go heavy with a desktop. Or both. Mobile is just a toy at this point. Nothing serious can be done on a phone.
>>
>>53654890
slightly at most
if you want more battery life, try the surfacebook.
>>
>>53654905
Don't think it can last much longer with that small ass battery then. One could try limiting the performance from settings, making sure that minimal amount of stuff is running and all the display brightness jazz but doubt it will ever last longer than 7h with somehow normal use.
>>
>>53654934
That was some retarded reasoning. You're probably underage. Once you get a job or leave school you will realize that a notebook is the best device you will ever have.
>>
>>53652122
waiting for huawei matebook
>>
>>53656469
>33.7 Wh battery
This won't end good.

And I read that Core m3, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB version is 799 Euro, still way too fucking much.
>>
>>53654319
The Surface line is more expensive than literally any iPad, you raging homo.

Your poorfag namecalling tactics don't work anymore.

>not owning a Surface Book
>being this poor
>>
>>53656600
The poorfag line works because Apple stuff is desirable. Making some shit more expensive is irrelevant to it if nobody wants to buy the shit in question.
>>
>>53654322
"Wacom tech" is literally worthless.
Wacom refuses to innovate on their technologies and sells gimped models to manufacturers because they know that they have insane name cred and basically a monopoly on the consumer drawing tablet market.

Have you ever used a Wacom pen on a non-Wacom branded device? They're utterly awful, and it shows. The pen is never calibrated correctly, never have tilt detection, have few buttons, and putting pressure on the screen will affect the accuracy of the digitizer.

The Surface line is literally the only non-Wacom branded tablet whose pen is always perfect. Pointer is always right on the nib, no matter the orientation.
Doesn't even matter which release it is.
N-Trig or Wacom, it just shows you that the quality of the pen is 100% reliant on the device manufacturer and has nothing to do with N-Trig or Wacom being "quality."
>>
File: 1442249462798.jpg (73 KB, 647x435) Image search: [Google]
1442249462798.jpg
73 KB, 647x435
So I broke my Nexus 7 screen the other day like shattered to the point where it's barely usable. Actually the first screen I've ever broken on any device. I could order another one because it's cheaper replacing the screen, but it still like a $100.

What is the best alternative tablet to the Nexus 7 in about size shape and performance that would be good to read eBooks and PDF on?
>>
>>53656628
This, I used to irrationally hate N-trig because of the awful implementations on Dell's Tablet PCs, but fucking hell they really hit a home run on the Surface Line. My Surface 3 is so much better than the Wacom Penabled crap on the Surface Pro 1 I had previously, less input lag, perfect accuracy and even though I draw for hours daily since last May, the original AAAA battery still hasn't run dead yet.
>>
>>53652144
>simple tasks like download torrents

it just werks, you can't even plug a usb and transfer files
>>
>>53657553
Just carry around a mouse and an otg cable
>>
i shall never forget of this 50 year old asian gentlement using his Surface on the train and alternating hands so that he's tapping away on the screen with one hand, while constantly holding it up with the other hand to prevent it from slipping back. he seemed quite used to it, but fuck me if that wasn't the most painful thing i saw all week.
>>
>iPad Pro
>best of any world
No. Many tablets are being marketed as capable of replacing a laptop. No iOS device is capable of fulfilling this role, however, given its inability to run unsigned applications.

The iPad Pro does not hold a candle to the Surface Pro, nor to any reasonable Android tablet.
>>
>>53657923
No but seriously
>>
File: 1458750840470.jpg (108 KB, 1000x615) Image search: [Google]
1458750840470.jpg
108 KB, 1000x615
>>53652122
>iPad
>>
>>53655151
Nah, notebooks are boring and old. Who buys notebooks today... Only tech illiterates and old people.

A good tablet with a stand and a wireless keyboard and mouse are much more versatile, if you want a light computing device which can run x86 applications. It's just that the cheap ones blow hard, so you have to go with higher end ones just to be able to get something decent. Which are overpriced, obviously.
>>
Anyone with surface 3? How is it? Is the screen sharp enough for reading pdfs? Thinking of getting one.
>>
>>53660090
>atom cpu

Get a Pro poorfag.
>>
>>53660090
I have one and I'm disappointed with the poor performance.1080p video with flash (in browser) often stutter, it's impossible to watch a twitch stream in source or even high on it too.
If you're ok with that, then it's pretty great. I'm personally thinking about selling it, getting maybe a cheap chromebook instead and the new nexus 7 whenever it will come out for videos and reading in bed.
>>
>>53660186
I won't really watch 1080p video though, but it should be powerful enough for 720p anime right? How is the battery life?
>>
>>53660247
It handles 1080p just fine with vlc/mpv, just not online with flash.
Battery life is decent, but definitely not great. Enough to last a working day if you put the brightness low and only type, but mediocre with high brightness and/or watching videos/playing games.
>>
>>53657553
shield tablet
>>
File: 1450734711779.gif (475 KB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
1450734711779.gif
475 KB, 240x180
Fucking stupid ass faggots
>tablet
>no remix os
What are you crying about
>HURR DURR
>NO PLAY STORE
you guys are fucking retarded
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.