[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How bad am I at Linux /g/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 67fjVnV[1].jpg (120 KB, 1026x800) Image search: [Google]
67fjVnV[1].jpg
120 KB, 1026x800
I couldn't figure out how to autostart a virtual machine on my server. So I logged into my server using Nomachine and had VirtualBox dump a shortcut to the VM on the desktop which I then had KDE autostart when it boots up. Because you can tell it to autostart things under "Settings".

I did a similar thing in my VM to start tomcat webserver.

I also couldn't figure out how to manage files in the terminal (where I can be root easily) so I have that "dolphin root" shortcut to start dolphin file manager as root. God help me if it ever gets deleted or stops working!

The temps icon I could never get working. Its a .sh file and I have no fucking clue how to work it in debian. Double click does nothing. Open with --> terminal does nothing. Typing "temps" in the terminal just gives me "command not found" I just wanted to know my hardware temps. This is what it contains:

http://pastebin.com/uG3Ty0D3

>pic related

Is anyone else as bad at this as me?
>>
>>53646490
To use an sh file open your terminal, cd in to the directory the sh file is in, then type sh filename.sh and it should run
>>
>>53646490
> dump a shortcut to the VM on the desktop which I then had KDE autostart when it boots up
Nah, it's fine. Every way is fine if it works exactly as you want it to work. The Unix way.
>>
>>53646490
> I also couldn't figure out how to manage files in the terminal
Install mc.
> Its a .sh file and I have no fucking clue how to work it in debian.
The PATH in Linux doesn't include your current location, so you have to run it thru './'. ./run-sh.sh - it should work.
>>
>>53646707
Also, if you copypasted it from somewhere else, you probably need to set executable rights on it. chmod u+x /path/to/script.sh. Sorry for tripleposting.
>>
File: ztERp8f[1].png (841 KB, 1026x800) Image search: [Google]
ztERp8f[1].png
841 KB, 1026x800
>>53646634
Yay that works, thanks anon.

>>53646661
I got the impression from the Ubuntu and Mint forums running a server with a GUI is a crime punishable by death.
>>
>>53646894
> running a server with a GUI is a crime punishable by death.
I do it on production servers because Proxmox, and ssh -x may be the only way to open its control panel.
>>
I guess this is a good thread to ask.

I recently upgraded my computer and therefore have a spare Mobo/CPU/RAM and Hard drive, i was looking at putting it into another box to run Linux.

I've never installed linux before but do work with it at work. Any tips as to what to jump into first?
>>
>>53647122
Linux mint
>>
>>53647224
Cheers, looks like i've got a Weekend Project.
>>
>>53646894
Running a gui isn't a problem at all. Like another anon said. The way you want to work is the UNIX way. And let's be honest. Having a gui is a comfy compromise for not knowing commands yet. If you want to learn to use the command line I can recommend the free book The Linux Command Line. Even of you read just a bit it's still a great way to understand the cli better and learn more of the Linux philosophy in general.
>>
>>53647122
Ubuntu,Linux Mint or Manjaro/Antergos. Just keep it simple for start.
>>
>>53647284
Mint w/ cinnamon
>>
>>53647328
Will do, first things first is getting a spare case.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.