[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm thinking of doing a one year Master's in IT (e
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: pkoy.png (68 KB, 800x1188) Image search: [Google]
pkoy.png
68 KB, 800x1188
I'm thinking of doing a one year Master's in IT (essentially a conversion course for plebs like myself who didn't study STEM at undergrad) and this is the curriculum according to the website. It seems fairly balanced and ideal for someone in my situation but I'd like to get /g/'s opinion before I make a decision on whether to apply or not.

The school is
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_York
for anyone who's interested.
>>
Sounds like you'll end up being employable afterwards with probably good albeit broad basics.
>>
>>53646377
Would it be worth scooping up some certs in my spare time to pad my resume out?
>>
>>53646303
>England

Looks good, but enjoy making 20,000 less than you would if you were in the United States
>>
>>53646751
Meh dunno, I suppose the worthwhile ones cost too much money. If you get them really cheap through uni though why not. Else just try broadening your horizon or dig deeper in an area of interest to you if you have the time.

What's your bachelor?
>>
>>53646790
>20,000
At the bare minimum. The only fields in the UK paying $60k+ straight out of uni are law and investment banking.

>>53646819
I just figured they would be good to have as extra feathers in my cap so to speak. I know a portfolio is probably more important but realistically I'm not going to be applying for software dev jobs at Google, unless I turn out to be a programming savant.

I majored in business and foreign languages, pretty unenviable but I went to a decent school and landed an IT project management role after graduating.
>>
>>53647134
Are you stopping work then to pursue the degree? If you've enjoyed the IT project management I think this degree will be a good addon to communicate more effectively with IT people.

In addition pick up some books on IT project methods if you haven't. Dunno what you've been doing so far.

Don't expect to be too experienced with programming though.

How did you get the project mgmt role, what were your responsibilities and experiences so far? I'm interested in it myself, having led three 3-5 people teams in projects during studies so far.
>>
>>53647301
Unfortunately the company's finances took a hit so I was made redundant.

I've been learning C and studying CompTIA A+. I have buckets of free time at the moment so I plan on widening my reading list as much as possible. I'm not banking on becoming a programming whiz in the space of a year, I'd be happy with something that gave me a broad coverage of the basics and could at least get help me get my foot in the door for different roles

I just fell into it 2bh, visited a recruitment consultant and they set up an interview. I didn't have anyone under my supervision, every project I was working on was done solo. Enjoyed it but there was a big customer service aspect which I didn't feel suited me.
>>
>>53647507
Sorry to hear that. May I ask what your projects were about and what tools and methods you used?

As for reading, try adding some more meta-ish books on programming and other topics perhaps; less focus on how but why and what for as well as best practice. I enjoyed such books so far as a counter to the strict how and theory.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.