[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there such a thing as vanilla UNIX anymore that is still supported?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
Is there such a thing as vanilla UNIX anymore that is still supported?
>>
What do you mean "vanilla UNIX"?
As in, the original Unix developed by AT&T's Bell Labs, or an OS that conforms completely to the Single UNIX Specification as developed by The Open Group?
>>
>>53646208
2nd one senpai
>>
>>53646354
There are five currently supported certified UNIX systems.

AIX, HP-UX, Inspure K-UX, OS X, Solaris
>>
>>53647216
There's also z/OS which is supported but conforms to the older UNIX 95 certification not the most recent.
>>
>>53647216
OS X is not certified
>>
>>53647216
wow, stop posting any time
>>
>>53647436
Yes it is.
>>
>>53647436
http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/brand3612.htm

10.5 and up are certified, only exception was 10.7 which wasn't submitted.
>>
>>53647467
The certification is probably mostly meaningless these days. I think the only groups that still heavily rely on the UNIX certification is government organizations. A certified UNIX is a drop in replacement for any other certified UNIX theoretically.
>>
>want to implement some posix stuff for fun
>Get stuck at one point, look up how the big boys do it
>OS X just ignores the stuff in question

A Unix certificate is just a meme.
>>
>>53647787
Do you have any specifics? I'm working through Advanced programming In the Unix Environment (2012) and I haven't come across any gotcha's on Mac yet.
>>
>>53647436
It actually is.
http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/brand3612.htm
>>
>>53647841
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/rmdir.html
>If a directory and a subdirectory of that directory are specified in a single invocation of the rmdir utility, the application shall specify the subdirectory before the parent directory so that the parent directory will be empty when the rmdir utility tries to remove it.

The Apple code just ignores this.
>>
>>53647947
It's because you are looking at UNIXv7 standards when most are UNIX03 certified so look at the UNIXv3 standards docs.
>>
>>53648347
The same clause is in SUSv3
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/rmdir.html
which is required by Unix 03
https://www2.opengroup.org/ogsys/jsp/publications/PublicationDetails.jsp?publicationid=11867
>>
>>53648436
Well that is strange, but I don't have any other UNIX to test it on. It doesn't work on OpenBSD nor GNU Coreutils 8.24 either so it might be a POSIX 1003.[1,2]/SUS mix up.
>>
>>53648631
>POSIX/SUS mix up
What do you mean? I thought they are the same, but differet publisher.

Sadly I could not get hands on an AIX or HP-UX guy either, to ask them how it works there.
>>
File: carl.jpg (55 KB, 316x533) Image search: [Google]
carl.jpg
55 KB, 316x533
>>53647216
>K-UX
>>
>>53646085
>BSD, a direct descendant of version 6 UNIX, and OS X by extension.
>Solaris, OpenIndiana and other illumos derivatives
>SCO OpenServer
>HP-UX
>AIX
>>
BSD is very loyal to the original UNIX philosophies and design. OpenBSD is probably the most usable for you to learn on OP.
>>
Friendly reminder. Any admin of a commercial UNIX installs gnu tools immediately I guarantee you.
>>
>>53648776
>Sadly I could not get hands on an AIX or HP-UX guy either, to ask them how it works there.

If your not being paid to admin these systems don't bother. OS development is dead on these systems and there isn't much to learn. The engineers who are developing them in this vaccum aren't enjoying their jobs I guarantee you. OS development is alive, just not here. You're wasting time.
>>
File: organic.png (29 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
organic.png
29 KB, 150x150
>>53647787
Hehe. So true. Almost as a scam as pic related.
>>
>>53649108
I don't plan getting into that. I just want to get better at C and learn some APIs. Implementing utils required by that standard seems to a good exercise.
>>
>>53649254
>Implementing utils required by that standard
what do you even mean?
>>
>>53649312
That shit
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/idx/utilities.html
>>
>>53649363
it's called userland
>>
File: 138316768980.jpg (296 KB, 3456x1296) Image search: [Google]
138316768980.jpg
296 KB, 3456x1296
> be solaris
> be based on System V UNIX
your face when

just uninstall everything, OP
>>
>>53649417
Volume Shell & Utilities, Part Utilities.
But we shouldn't bitch about semantics,
>>
>>53649493
you clearly are shitposting
>>
>>53649108
>OS development is dead on these systems
definitely not true, the AIX-running product line mergers were fairly significant and while it's mostly dinosaurs there's definitely some new blood. I've worked with DB2 admins in their 20s.

now HPUX, they've heard the death rattle of itanium (kittson) but nonetheless gave it 10 more years-- that's probably it. i'd put more stock in VMS at this point
>>
>>53649549
Am I? Sorry, this was not indended.
>>
>>53649585
Didn't mean to be an asshole. You're just trying to learn.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.