[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to try out Windows Phone. Is the Lumia 550 a good phone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: lumia-550-box.jpg (413 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
lumia-550-box.jpg
413 KB, 1600x1200
I want to try out Windows Phone. Is the Lumia 550 a good phone to start with?
>>
enjoy your dead OS
>>
No. The 640 is only a bit more expensive.
Unless you live in the USA so it's $30.
>>
OP I have the Lumia 550 here, bought it for my mum. It took less than a day for her to go back to her Moto E, though I blame the late notifications on Whatsapp.

It's slower than the 640, but it looks and feels better despite being almost identical.

I'm trying to use it as a back-up phone but sideloading apps is almost impossible. I'm too autistic to login with my hotmail and shit.

It's quite slow in app launch but within apps and just OS it goes relatively smooth.
>>
>>53642219
ded OS. or almost ded, which is as good as ded.
>>
>>53642219
Try to get the cheapest you can get. The OS runs on pretty much anything. If you don't use apps, and are OK with using a mediocre browser to do anything worthwhile, you will be fine. If you are coming from iOS or Android, you will be disappointed, unless all you did was text and watch Netflix. If you can scour the app store filled with shitty Chinese apps and non functioning abandon-ware and find some apps you like, it might be a usable experience.
>>
>>53642219
dead os
>>
>>53642237
>>53642816
Unless OP is Pajeet or Ming Lee his smartphone will be replaced in 1, maybe 2 years top. Enough support until then.
>>
>>53642277
Can I seriously get a W10 mobile this cheap?

I would get it just for that, I would only use edge and some 4chan app really.
>>
>>53642219
Get the Elite X3 when it comes out. Looks pretty fucking good.
>>
>>53642219
Do not spend more than $50 on this deadOS phones. Having a high end windows phone is like owning a Hummer.
>>
>>53642219
>sideloading apps is almost impossible
Side loading is pretty simple if you have .XAP file.
You just dump it on the phone and that all. You than open it via file explorer or it will auto install when you restart phone
>>
IT"S FUCKING DEAD?!
>>
>>53644146
damn wrong post quoted
meant to quote >>53642486
>>
>>53642219
If all you do is phonecalls, text and take pictures it will do a wonderful job.

The main issue is that applications (even the mainstream ones like facebook messenger, whatsapp, mail clients...) are poorly written, lacking important functions that will piss you off when you try to send an attachment, trim a video and stuff like that. Even onedrive client had some hiccups here and there.

One thing they have going is the build quality, at least on the 920 and 930 I tried it was pretty good. Battery was on par with same tier android phones.
>>
>>53642219
go for 640. Bigger battery, Better SoC, better camera
>>
It is OK if you don't expect too much out of it.
Nothing bad to say about the hardware. Everything that sucks involves software. Mostly apps that are sloppy.
>>
>>53642486
>It's slower than the 640, but it looks and feels better despite being almost identical.

nigger you serious? youre in europe right? how much was the 550 and how much is the 640?
>>
>>53644146
Windows mobile works with Appx or something, try finding that bruv.

>>53644529
Lumia 550 ~115
Lumia 640 ~150
>>
>>53644567
>Lumia 550 ~115
>Lumia 640 ~150

God damn... Reminds me of prices back home 23% VAT plus some retarded storage tax they came up with, so much euros per gigabyte, not even kidding.
>>
Don't waste your time, money, or effort. I did the same thing when Windows phone 8.1 was the hot thing and you could only install the windows 10 phone OS if you were a MS insider.

My phone was the BLU HD5 and even with its 1gb ram and baby CPU, windows phone ran smooth, no lag, amazing battery life. Not to mention that Cortana had amazing speech recognition.

Other than that, apps are not even far and few between. They're non existent. The "official" YouTube app made by MS luterally just opens IE and takes you to YouTube.com.

If you need a dirt cheap phone for the absolute bare minimum of what makes a phone a "smartphone", then sure, grab a Windows phone.

Sad really. I was honestly hoping it would take off.
>>
>>53644608
EU?
>>
>>53644744
>>53644744
>Other than that, apps are not even far and few between. They're non existent. The "official" YouTube app made by MS luterally just opens IE and takes you to YouTube.com.
Well the youtube app are quite good on Windows mobile. They support pretty much anything that you get with official apps. Plus no adds and free downloading of all the content.
>>
>>53645000
For now :D
>>
>>53644286
>>53644325
Pretty much this. Totally fine for email/ phone/ text/ browser.
Millennial app fags might miss the latest trendy grooming app.
Got a 640 for work. Just werks and if it gets fucked well who cares I can replace it for £60.
>>
Reminder that unrooted Android is clearly worse compared to w10 mobile.
>>
>>53642219
Ivé had this phone for the last 3 weeks. It is absolute dogshit. Do not buy it. The software should not have been released unfinished.

I am suing microsoft for it
>>
>>53645124
you can get 640 on German amazon for less than 120E + shipping then
>>
I'm a legit Windows shill and you couldn't pay me to drop Android and use a dogshit Windows phone. I would switch to a iPhone first.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.