[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>consider my self reasonably good with computers >get tired
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 213
Thread images: 15
File: 46.jpg (216 KB, 569x571) Image search: [Google]
46.jpg
216 KB, 569x571
>consider my self reasonably good with computers
>get tired of running windows 10 botnet OS
>install Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64 bit instead
>no graphic driver installed
>go to nvidia website and download linux driver
>.run
>click double click on it anyways
>opens in gEdit
>search online for solution and land on Ubuntu official forums
>"write this into terminal and then reboot"
>literally copy+paste so I can't write something wrong
>login to Ubuntu after reboot
>get greeted every 10 seconds with a pop-up that says "Ubuntu has run into some internal problems" with no fucking information on what happened
>can't undo any changes because there's no "installed programs" list

Fuck this I gave it a fair shot and it absolutely sucked dick

can't imagine how normies would use GNU/Linux if I can't do it
>>
>>53639940
>reasonably good with computers
>can't even run a script
Cool story

Today I tore out my SSD with Ubuntu on it and put it inside a new computer and it Just Worked[tm] after changing boot order. When was the last time you could rip out your Windows disk and put it inside another computer without it shitting all over itself?
>>
>>53639940
>"write this into terminal and then reboot"
>literally copy+paste so I can't write something wrong

And what did you write OP? I think you were trolled.
>>
>>53639940
>consider myself reasonably good with computers
>the actual truth
pick-one.meme
bait.meme

I'm done here. Remember to grab your lunch before you rush off to school.
>>
>>53639940
psst. op. you are the normie
>>
>>53639940
chmod +x *.run
./nvidia.run
>>
>>53639940
yes. this is the standard linux experience, OP.

you will try again in a few years and absolutely nothing will have changed.

don't listen to the linux nerd, they're delusional. go back to 7 and enjoy it while it lasts
>>
>>53639968
>When was the last time you could rip out your Windows disk and put it inside another computer without it shitting all over itself?
When was the last time anyone would need to do that.
>>
Not only are older drivers readily available through an application in Ubuntu, there is also an official PPA for cutting edge drivers.
You fucked up by trying a pointless manual install.
>>
Report and move on.
>>
File: OH SHITE NIG WHAT U DOIN.jpg (6 KB, 160x120) Image search: [Google]
OH SHITE NIG WHAT U DOIN.jpg
6 KB, 160x120
>>53639940

Now you fucked up.
Now you fucked up.
You have fucked up, now.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia
>>
>>53640426
Why would manually move all your files to a intermediate disk, (re)install the OS and then move files back again when you could just take out the disk and put it inside your new computer?
>>
>>53640450
>most recent driver is 352
How's living in the stone age?
>>
>Try out Debian.
>It can't find my HDDs for some reason.
>My DAC isn't registering (says I have none despite cables being connected etc.)
>wLAn isn't working
>Says I have 16MB GPU and Intel 100a processor
>First thing I have to do is to start hack it up in terminal because basic functions arent functioning

even fucking Mac OS X worked better out of the box

what a hobby OS

>>53639968
>hen was the last time you could rip out your Windows disk and put it inside another computer without it shitting all over itself?
Last night
few days ago

This is horrible senpai
>>
>>53639940
Consider buying a Mac.

Or putting a little effort into learning linux.
>>
>>53640487
>Last night
>few days ago
Why multiple times?

>inb4 windows shat all over itself
>>
what the linux fags don't get:

==it doesn't FUCKING matter if the user made a mistake==

it is way too easy to make irreparable mistakes on linux, which take hours to be fixed.

linux is even more elitist than mac, only the selection is on how much of a basement dweller you are, rather than how much money you have.
>>
>>53639940

>running a command in terminal without knowing what it means

wew lad

That's a great way for some to troll you into deleting an important directory and breaking your install, btw. Never do this unless you understand at least enough about what you're doing.

All you really needed to do was

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current (or 346 I think, I don't use shit-vidia) or something, you shouldn't download the drivers off the nvidia website.
>>
>>53639940
This is the problem 99% of "powerusers" that go from Windows to a Linux distro. Most of the things they've learned will no longer apply, so they get frustrated because nothing works as expected. They invariably break the system completely because Linux doesn't treat you like a retard.

You must first unlearn everything you think you know. You aren't good with computers, you're good with Windows.
>>
If you're using a 900 series GPU, use a newer version of Ubuntu

Same thing happened to me running 14.03 LTS Xubuntu, use 15.10 now so it Just Werks™, and update to 16.03 LTS when it comes out for long term support.
>>
you're not reasonably good with computers, op.
>>
>>53640463
>moving old ass files to a brand new computer
Do people actually do this? No wonder your computer's shit the bed after a couple months.
>>
>>53640516

At least Linux tells you what you did wrong so you can fix it. Ever try fixing a messed up Windows install? Even better is when you ask for help, because most people will be as clueless as you are on how to fix it because windows can be a clusterfuck.
In contrast, I've seen people immediately give solutions when I have issues with Arch and the guides for Arch are extremely well written.
>>
>>53640516
>==it doesn't FUCKING matter if the user made a mistake==
Of course it does. If you delete all your files and all your backup using any OS, it's definitively the user's fault.

If you copy paste random commands you found on the internet without checking what it does first, you are a retard.

Why do you think Common Sense 2016 Edition is the recommended anti-virus program?
>>
>>53640542
>I have no personal images or documents at all and I enjoy wasting my time by pointlessly reinstalling the operating system time to time, having to do the exact same configurations over and over again, having to tinker with the exact same settings over and over again

And yet Linux is considered the timesink OS on this board.....
>>
>>53640552
not him but cant remember any big windows issue i couldnt fix
>>
>>53639940
>he fell for the linux meme

This will never stop being funny
>>
>>53640591
>not him but cant remember any big linux issue i couldnt fix

Works the same way around too
>>
>>53640516
Linux gives you power, you can do whatever you want with it provides you have knowledge
Now if go around copy pasting random terminal and break something, I think we all know who to blame
>>
>>53640600
wish i could say the same desu
>>
>>53639940
Meme magic is real.
>>
>>53640487

Stuff "not working out of the box" is not the fault of any distro you are using. Your hardware is proprietary so it has to find a way to make it work. Basically, blame your hardware for hating Linux. Dealing with secure boot is the worst of all.
>>
>>53640624
I dislike this argument, whose fault it is really doesn't matter to the end user.
>>
>>53640617
git gud

But seriously though, you get better with experience and knowledge. It's just a NIX, it's not rocket science.
>>
The problem is that GNU/Linux users blame their ineptitude with anything other than GNU/Linux on the OS.
It's kind of funny seeing so many of these supposedly really "technically adept" types go all apeshit over people using Windows or OSX. My experience is that it's usually just their ego telling them that "No, you can't be bad at something relating to computers, so it has to be something other than you" to avoid having to admit that they only know how to use GNU/Linux.
Personally I dumped GNU/Linux for Windows around 2007 and after a lot of torture and mental gymnastics tinkering with UNIX stuff in GNU/Linux all my desktops have since then run Windows. At this point GNU/Linux has to me become "That OS the clueless, kids who want to play pretend sysadmin and those who think uploading their dotfiles to github makes them a 1337 programmer". Pretty much all the software I run into, even the obscure stuff like AVR Studio, Matlab, Quartus II, etc., run on Windows and many that are "Linux-only" can be used with cygwin/msys, VM or even built for Windows natively with a cross compiler.
>>
>>53639940
>>go to nvidia website and download linux driver
That's where you fucked up
>>
>>53640503
diagnostics.
>>
>>53640624
It literally does not work and I have no time to make a hobby out of OS. And like I said it even werked in Mac OS X.
>>
>>53640574

You are a retard m8. People who use Linux make images of their install and restore later. You can put these images onto a CD or thumb drive. It's called Clonezilla.
>>
>>53640629
It is when the end user is the one that fucked up

OP didn't specify what command he ran, for all we know he got trolled into deleting / . One thing's for sure, he didn't run the installer.

OP didn't specify what GPU he has, maybe he downloaded the wrong drivers.

OP is clearly too retarded to click the "More info" button on the annoying pop-up.

OP is clearly too retarded to find Synaptic or run aptitude in order to find out what programs he has installed.
>>
>>53640632
>git gud
nah, I lucked out and have a laptop with a so far unfixed bug (at least on ubuntu and derivatives)

it's a one off, everything else I've got like i want it
>>
>>53640658
I was referring to
>Stuff "not working out of the box" is not the fault of any distro you are using. Your hardware is proprietary so it has to find a way to make it work. Basically, blame your hardware for hating Linux
not to OP running magic box commands hoping for the best
>>
>>53640647
Why would I make an image when I can just move the fucking disk?
>>
>Plug in my Titan Xs to Wangblows newer than Vista
>Automatically get drivers.

>Lenux
>Terminal shit and wishing they wont suck
lol
>>
>>53640516
>ubuntu
>offers to install non-free drivers out of the box
>OP decides to ignore it and install it straight from nvidia
How it's not the user's fault?
>>
>>53640645

If you want stuff to be easy and not put in effort, then why would you install Linux? Even Ubuntu or Mint still requires you to know some terms and commands in terminal.
I have Linux over Windows because I can't stand not having enough privileges or being limited in how I can use my OS. It's not for everybody.
>>
>>53640669
Windows
>plug in USB Wi-Fi adapter
>searching for drivers
>can't
>need to use the drivers CD

>Ubuntu
>plug in
>detects Wi-Fi
>just weeks
Lel
>>
>>53639940

this is where you went full retard
>>
>>53640683
>It's not for everybody.
i don't get how so many linux users fail to realize this
>>
>>53640683
>then why would you install Linux?
i heard it was the year of the linux desktop

i just wanted something less evil than ms 10 botnet
>>
>>53640691
>Ubuntu
>plug in
>select Wifi drivers
>literally nothing happens
>go on phone to google
>apparently bug with that specific broadcom driver
>have to manually install after searching for the driver in the livecd
It's not always 100% smooth
>>
>>53639940
>shit needed work so i just started downloading random software from websites
>>
>>53640683
>If you want stuff to be easy and not put in effort, then why would you install Linux?
Not him, but I want stuff to be easy and put in minimal effort, which is exactly why I use Linux.

Last time I used Windows, the a Windows update crashed my computer and I had to reinstall Windows and restore data from backup. Microsoft even sent out an official apology.

I've never experienced a system-wide failure with updates like that for any distro that rendered me incapable of rolling back the update until the distro maintainers got their shit together.
>>
>>53640691
Funnily enough just last night I plugged in a USB Wi-Fi to Wangblows 10 and was scared of hunting the drivers (in another PC) but the motherfucker found themselves on their own.

Why is W10 so great lads
>>
>>53640718
For me it aways is
Guess I'm one of those blessed people
>>
>>53640669

>Vista

kek

Also

>complaining proprietary hardware doesn't work on an open source OS

It's hit or miss. If you get an old thinkpad everything will work out of the box. Newer stuff requires a work around. Linux for me is great on laptops that can't run a Windows install because of all the bloat.
>>
>>53640718
>2016
>still buying broadcom
Broadcom is shit, even on Windows.
>>
>>53639940
>install entirely new and different system
>expect everything to work exactly like the old one

Probably not real, but:

You fucked up. Take the time to learn how the new thing works and expect to make mistakes.
>>
>>53640675
it is the users fault. op is retard
>>
>>53640711
>wanting something not a botnet
Then why would you install Linux?

Fucking 10 out of 17 of the netnext regulars are Google employees.
>>
>>53640450
who the fuck would install an unofficial driver
>>
>>53640722
>random website
Oh come on he downloaded drivers from nvidia's website, I wouldn't call that "stupid".
>>53640737
Had to borrow mom's Thinkpad E145 (I think) as my W520 bricked. The computer was as shit as its Linux support was
>>
>>53640450
>GO TO UNOFFICIAL SITE TO GET SOME UNOFFICIAL DRIVER
YEAR OF THE LENUX DESKTAP

>End user should google and go get unofficial crap
LOL
>>
>>53640750
that's the funny thing, official doesn't necessarily mean good in the linux world
>>
>>53640668

Because hard drives fail. And a restore image with your previous set helps you save time. I make a new one every few months or so. I'm surprised more people don't back up regularly.
>>
>>53640752
it was stupid. switching video drivers in ubuntu is literally checking a checkbox. u need to get out of the habit of ever downloading software from websites
>>
>>53640759
its in repo dumbass
>>
>>53640773
>it was stupid
no, it wasn't. it was a perfectly reasonable assumption that getting the official drivers would actually work well
>>
>>53640759
>unofficial
Take a look again dumb cunt
>>
>>53640766
>Because hard drives fail.
No shit, which is why I have backup and make my file system do regular snapshots

>And a restore image with your previous set helps you save time
Restoring from backup is not the same as getting a new computer

>I make a new one every few months or so. I'm surprised more people don't back up regularly.
Personal files should always be backed up. System disks, meh. I mean the failure rate on SSDs aren't so high anyway.
>>
>>53640788
And they do too
If only OP had installed the at all
>>
>>53640788
It literally asks you IN THE FUCKING INSTALLER whether or not you want to use Nvidia's proprietary drivers.

Why the fuck would you not read the text in the installation and then just make a bunch of assumptions when you're completely new to Linux?
>>
>>53640805
>>53640809
he clearly missed that somehow, shit happens, so he went to nvidias website to rectify it and followed their instructions
>>
>>53640609
This
It's OPs fault clearly in this case
>>
>>53639940
this happened to me when I moved from wandoze to linux too
>try to do something
>how do I edit registry entries
>where's device manager
>how do I find task manager
whereas I can pretty much guarantee anything you could possibly want to do in linux requires ~16 characters to be typed into a terminal and it'll just happen automagically
>>
>>53640750
>>53640759
retards, it's an official driver, it's just packaged by ubuntu maintainers to integrate and work better as a module of the system. i.e. easy to remove, update, adds correct configurations for the ubuntu setup
>>
>don't really consider myself all that good with computers
>inherit an old ass laptop
>decide to put linux on it to speed it up and ditch old XP
>go with mint+cinnamon because why the fuck not
>everything goes down smoothly during the installation
>everything works afterwards, sound, video, wifi - it's all gold
>except the fingertip scanner
>don't boot it up for 4 months already
You make linux (GNU+linux) way more scary than it should be, ya bunch a fags.
>>
>>53640820
>so he went to nvidias website to rectify it and followed their instructions
Except he didn't, because the Nvidia website recommends Ubuntu users to download the deb and have a detailed step by step how to on how to install it.

Instead, he just clicked the first fucking link he saw and then went on a random forum and formulated a possibly retarded question offering no information at all and blindly ran some random commands that bricked his system.
>>
>>53640849
fingerprint scanner is pretty easy to make work in mint iirc
>>
>>53640788

This is how Ubuntu works: you add to your repository of you want something to install. Usually stuff that is essential like nvidia drivers will be in the repos already. So you never had to look on nvidia's site. You just need to know the name and use an apt-get command. You will need to get used to doing this quite often.
Sometimes you do install tarballs but usually you can add a repo and install from there. Most sites even have the commands so you can copy and paste them.
>>
>>53640833
When you go from using a visual GUI to command line, having never used command line can be confusing at first, which probably applies to OP because he has never booted into DOS to fire up a game on windows.
>>
>two steps above completely illeterate
l m a o
>>
File: missing.jpg (57 KB, 600x798) Image search: [Google]
missing.jpg
57 KB, 600x798
>>53640849
>to speed it up
>mint+cinnamon
no, anon, the 'make it go faster' option is debian LXDE
>>
>>53640861
>having never used command line can be confusing at first,
Fucking millennials don't even remember DOS and starting Windows x (for x <= 3.11) from DOS.
>>
>>53640849
for me fingerprint reader was just a matter of installing 2-3 packages and running fprintd-enroll to register my fingerprint.
works everywhere from sudo, login, unlock, gksudo, etc. you name it.
>>
>>53640853
he could've been more careful for sure, but coming from windows i see why he would just go to the website, download the driver and run it because thats what hes been used to all his life
>implying you shitbags didnt do stupid mistakes when you switched
>>53640860
i know how it works im using it, point im making is new users dont know

only part that rustles me about op is the last two lines, he fucked up and instead of figuring out why he just gave up and decided that linux is shit
>>
>>53640865
There was a study a few years back that concluded: the most incompetent people consider themselves highly skilled because they don't even know enough to accurately judge their level of understanding.
>>
>>53639940
> he can't install the nvidia driver
> calls himself good with computers

Lmao.
Also use the fucking ubuntu driver installer thats why it's there
>>
>>53640879
That's the sad part, it's a lost legacy of Windows.
>>
>>53640891
see >>53640743
>>
>>53640891
>but coming from windows i see why he would just go to the website, download the driver and run it because thats what hes been used to all his life
Why would you eat an apple and expect it to taste like an orange?

If you're completely new to something, then follow the goddamned instructions.

Also
>Friendly reminder that it is completely normal behaviour for Windows users to disregard all and any installation guides/instructions and instead go and bitch about it online when it doesn't work like expected
>>
>>53640911
yeah, that post i agree with
>>
File: me facebook.png (342 KB, 583x379) Image search: [Google]
me facebook.png
342 KB, 583x379
>>53639940
>consider himself reasonably good with computers

being good with windows doesnt mean you're good with computers

these windows toddlers... shake my head senpai
>>
>>53640759
i can just imagine sitting in a conference discussing user-facing linux issues.

>when writing docs, we really need to ensure that rank linux noobs are instructed how to install each item be it a shell script, a standalone dpkg, or something off the--
>YEAR OF THE LENUX DESKTAP!!
>>
>>53640911
If only there was some idiot's guide on how certain things are done differently compared to windows. Hmmmmm
>>
>>53640922
I bet he's not even good with Windows....
>>
>year 2007
>be me total computer illiterate
>dump xp, migrated 100% to ubangoo
>some minor shit problems I always solved and enjoyed that
>never looked back

Enjoy being faggot and gay, OP.
>>
>>53640532
I agree. I tried linux with 0 problems. It just takes patience. I duel boot but never boot the windows. Its more trouble than its worth. Linux is only what you need and so open that its anything u want it to be.
>>
>>53640891

There's comes a point where just being ignorant turns into being retarded though. Another even pointed out on Nvidia's own site it tells you NOT to install the drivers on their site. That's just refusing to read.
>>
>>53640928
I bet 100 gnu OP doesn't know how to add program shortcuts in his right click context menu. 10,000 gnu that he doesn't know how to add cascading menus.
>>
>>53640858
>>53640884
I never bothered because I never bothered with the scanner in the first place. Just some pointless gimmick.
I don't even take the damn computer out because it's big, heavy and has, like, 10 mins of battery life.

>>53640867
Funny thing, I once asked about a "minimal linux distro to make it go super fast" in the """friendly"" linux thread" here on /g/ and got directed to some directory with literally billions "flavour of the moment" distros instead of being given a simple answer on a silver platter. Fuck that.
>>
>>53640935
>Another even pointed out on Nvidia's own site it tells you NOT to install the drivers on their site.
They don't though, but they do tell you exactly how to either download their deb and install that or how to run the installation script (which is the one OP downloaded).
>>
File: would_burry_my_face_in.jpg (234 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
would_burry_my_face_in.jpg
234 KB, 1536x2048
>tfw amd apu e-350
>tfw open and closed drivers on linux
>tfw it works worse than on windows
>tfw I can smell plastic and temp are over 60 celcius in idle

fuck this gay system

Linux is nice if you can run it in vmware. Virtualbox is nice only if you want headless mode.
>>
>>53640929
Kek same here man, I didn't know anything about Linux before, but I installed it and now pretty much use it exclusively
In fact going back on Windows now feels like using something a lot more clunky and restricting
>>
If you use Linux on a desktop, you might as well kill yourself. On edgy teens do this. Not even kidding or trolling here. I had my Linux phase when I was 14 and stopped when I was 18.
It's literally only good for server or other shit that needs maximum performance. Every other program is a clusterfuck made by fat open source cucks and worse than 90% of Windows software (Gimp, LibreOffice, every music player, etc.).
>>
>>53640922
/this

I swear, that don't even know how to use cmd to copy partition to a spare disk.

>They just download a third part ad generator software

>calling software "APPLICATIONS" Ever!!!
>>
>pop-up that says "Ubuntu has run into some internal problems" with no fucking information on what happened
>with no fucking information on what happened
Bullshit
>>
>>53639940
t.b.h. you're not very good with computers if you don't understand permissions, basic CLI interaction (you can most likely get around in GNU CLI with a little help from docs and experience using MS-DOS, better yet powershell which is very similar on the surface), or learning the ropes in new systems quickly.

>can't imagine how normies would use GNU/Linux if I can't do it
by having someone install it for them, "normies" can't even use Windows, desu. they don't seem to fuck up Macs on the same level though but Macs are dog shit
>>
>>53639940
>can't imagine how normies would use GNU/Linux if I can't do it
Your baby duck syndrome was your ultimate downfall. Linux is not Windows.
>>
>>53640957
>It's literally only good for server or other shit that needs maximum performance
Or, you know, when you happen to use it for work.
>>
>>53640935
i figured they just gave installation instructions, not been to nvidias website for like 5 years but then they just gave you the installation file a short step by step for installing iirc
>>53640942
yeah same here been to lazy to install it, i type my password just as fast anyway
>>
>>53640943

>many Linux distributions provide their own packages of the NVIDIA Linux Graphics Driver in the distribution's native package management format. This may interact better with the rest of your distribution's framework, and you may want to use this

Hurr durr
>>
>>53640957
Your knowledge is outdated.
>>
>>53640967
Op is too retarded to click the "Additional info" button.
>>
>>53640975
>this may
>you may
>>
>>53640983
what a may may
>>
>>53640975
>you may want to use something else = do NOT use this
>>
>>53639940

>install Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64 bit instead

Moving from one botnet to another...

Try Debian instead. (If you get your hardware to work)
>>
>>53640957
Thank you for your post Prajeet!
>>
>>53640996
>"I use Debian therefore I'm safe from the botnet"
See >>53640747
>>
>>53640983

It's basically telling you to check in your packages first. So why would you install drivers from Nvidia's site as a first option?

Oh well, it's already proven in this thread Windows toddlers don't like to read.
>>
>>53639968
>When was the last time you could rip out your Windows disk and put it inside another computer without it shitting all over itself?
A year ago? Anytime?
>>
>>53641012
This is an insight on why they really dumbed down and simplified things like the blue screen of death into "Something Happened :("
Windows users don't expect to RTFM anymore
>>
>>53641015
>A year ago? Anytime?
And boot from it? Will not happen in our lifetime.
>>
>>53640978
How so? I still run Arch in a VM to work on some projects which involve libs that won't compile under windows. But I don't really see much of a difference from the Linux 6 years ago. DEs got a bit better tho. But they're still miles behind Windows, a hassle to configure and inconsistent as fuck. At least the Gnome and KDE a few months ago. Terminal + tiling WM is still the best option.
>>
>>53641021
>Something Happened :(
Well, I personally don't think that a "kernel panic" or a "kernel oops" is any more descriptive by itself, but getting a stack trace by default is handy though.

For Windows, there's no point in getting a stack trace. For kernel internals, that's closed source, and for drivers, well, it can be both and would the end user be able to tell the difference between "Windows" and a "driver" anyway?
>>
>>53640957
I used Linux for 9months.

>I am 22
>software engineer
>network engineer

I see improvements in production by using Debian Jessie.
Once you learn that Debian does not ship with non free drivers (wifi/cpu-managment) Linux is good. You may wish to install non free packages to use non supported hardware.

I am also Schizophrenic so I am always thing I am being watched. Since I can not only block connections, I can also modify the Linux net stack to ensure the system is controlled by.

I also am professional educated and employed in exploit detection.

With all that said. I personally support using Linux since it can create a better environment then Windows. Not to also speak about the windows updates.
>>
>>53641040
Typing on chink shit (iPhone)
>inb4 iPhones are shit.
Well I can confirm that it is a complete pile of shit to type on.

Innovative in hiring China and not making software
>>
File: 1309794124294.jpg (47 KB, 296x317) Image search: [Google]
1309794124294.jpg
47 KB, 296x317
>want to try out Linux
>don't spend an hour or few googling "first time install" to find tutorials, and further verifying and elaborating on the content, steps, and the purpose of each step as outlined in tutorials

You should consider prepping yourself in front of the hardest cement or brick wall you can find, and running towards it full force till your head has rammed into it.

Repeat this till your brain is hopefully fixed from your mental retardation and lack of planning/critical thinking/preemptive forethought skills, or till you die and thus do Humanity a favor through Natural Selection.
>>
File: why tho.jpg (21 KB, 336x330) Image search: [Google]
why tho.jpg
21 KB, 336x330
>>53640624
>It's not the OSs fault for being shit
>Blame it on decent hardware that is designed to run a useful OS

You just went full neckbeard on that bruh,
>>
>>53641210
>decent hardware
>indecent hardware company refusing to write proper drivers
>>
>>53641232
Maybe thats because people with lives use windows or mac.
>>
>implying Windows doesn't have shitty drivers
Remember that time when Nvidia lit their GPUs on fire?
>>
>>53641232
Why would a company waste profit margins by wasting time on an OS a minority within a minority uses, when the environment of Linux operates based on FREE coding?
You wanted FREE? Well then it's your own fault for not getting good FREE support faggot. Not the company's fault.
>>
>>53641210
why arguing about this on /g/.... there's no point - literally all jobless NEETs
>>
>>53641349
>free support
Are you implying Windows drivers cost money?
>>
>>53641349
loaded question, it's not a waste, and not in a minority depending on what market you look at
>>
>>53640972
true only if your company is poor or if you live on a third world country... everyone else uses mac as they give you unix + one can be productive in less than 15 minutes after they come to work for the first time + more reasons
>>
>>53641349
The least they could do is maybe release the datasheet or some kind of documentation or even the windows source code, we FOSS users make do with just that and make our own drivers unlike you entitled Windows children who want a huge box saying "everything works!!"

If some company didn't release the source code or documentation, it's obvious they're against FOSS
>>
>>53641398
>true only if your company is poor or if you live on a third world country
Or, you know, when you happen to actually work in the computing industry instead of being a web developer.
>>
>>53641424
>>53641398
Also, my Lenovo costs more money than the most expensive MBP so I don't think that money is the argument here.
>>
>>53641424
and tell me boy what's the thing you can't do on mac that you can do on linux? curious to know

>>53641448
nah, that's the only reason why /g/ hates MBPs, as you can see on every mac hate thread

pic related: my work machine, couldn't chose the specs so don't blame the 16GB
>>
>>53641424
This
>>
>>53640788
>assumption
u r admitting to being a moron
>>
>>53641480
Be more stable
>>
>>53640675
>>53640609
>>53640557

anon said that 1) it doesn't matter whether the user makes a mistake, the OS should prevent disaster and 2) it is too EASY to make mistakes.

none of the answers addressed the points

>linux autism
>>
>>53641480
>and tell me boy what's the thing you can't do on mac that you can do on linux?
Nice shifting of the goal post.

It's not about what I can and can't do. I could probably use Windows or VxWorks or fucking Plan9 too.

It's about what's most convenient. When you make device drivers for Linux and you've used Linux for more than ten years, like I have, then it's simply more convenient.

Btw, I have a MBP at home too. But for work, I use Linux.

>couldn't chose the specs
And you call my company poor? The irony.

The first thing my boss said to me when we were ordering my new laptop was "...and fuck 16 GB RAM, you need at least 32".
>>
>>53641535
But it does matter if the user makes a mistake. You don't blame the airplane when the pilot crashes the damn thing into the mountain.
It's easy to make mistakes when the user is an illiterate faggot who expects the computer to know automatically know what he wants and get mad when it doesn't
>>
>>53640516
>linux is even more elitist than mac, only the selection is on how much of a basement dweller you are, rather than how much money you have

Shit... You're right.

I have a job, and I wasted my spare time installing Fedora on an old laptop when I could have bought a macbook.

I need to rethink my priorities
>>
>>53641546
the company is a multinational with 10,000+ employees, I could get a 5k iMac if that's the thing we're talking about, but they got deals with apple so the only 15 inch MBP I could get was this one with almost all maxed out (1tb ssd kek)

anyway you're saying that you're using linux cause you're writing linux drivers...how that does include everyone that is not a web developer? is everyone else writing linux drivers?

>>53641576
I'm not that guy you answered but you literally gave us one of the stupidest post I've read on /g/

so UI UX design ease to use and everything that makes you work faster/easier is stupid to you. ok.

are you building your car piece by piece? cause you got all the instructions on internet to do that.... what are you ... a motor illiterate?
>>
>>53641661
>so UI UX design ease to use and everything that makes you work faster/easier is stupid to you. ok.
Lol no, where did I even imply that?

>are you building your car piece by piece? cause you got all the instructions on internet to do that.... what are you ... a motor illiterate?
We're talking of Ubuntu here, not Gentoo or Arch
>>
>>53640426
Actually, Windows 10 does it perfect. It literally changes all the device drivers in the background, the only thing visible to the user is that in de-activates.
>>
I use linux for retards.. it works really good.
I am a UNIX admin in an AIX shop. I use OSX for my personal laptop (for obvious reasons), Windows on all work computers.
People are constantly harassing me because they virus up their windows machines. I have started putting Linux-Mint on them all, and they never come back. I literally have grandmas and soccer moms using laptops with Linux and they don't even have questions on how to use it. They just open their browser and go to gmail and facebook and never get virused up.
>>
>>53641661
>anyway you're saying that you're using linux cause you're writing linux drivers...how that does include everyone that is not a web developer? is everyone else writing linux drivers?
Shifting the goal post again... You originally claimed that you either have to be poor or live in a third world country to use Linux for work. I simply pointed out that not everyone is a web developer (a single example of a job where it doesn't really matter what platform you use).

I didn't claim that everyone not a web dev should use Linux, those are your words not mine.

However, I can use your line of reasoning too: name a reason why you must use a Mac and can't use either Windows or Linux.
>>
>>53639940
> windows 10 botnet OS
> install ubuntu

/thread
>>
>install Ubuntu 14 on computer with nvidia graphics card
>it instantly works fine
>had to fiddle with literally zero drivers

I really had that "just werks" experience. Can't complain.
>>
>>53639940
>linux fags still defending the lack of a universal app container or exe alternative
Linux can go suck a fat one.

They are the most stupid and unhelpful community and nothing gets fixed.
>>
>>53641823
>I know nothing about Linux because all I do is play video games, but I'll still spout nonsense
Basically all Linux based distribution bashers on /g!
>>
>>53641823
>app container or exe alternative
How stupid are you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executable_and_Linkable_Format
>>
>>53640633
> I spent a lot of time learning how to use Linux, and then never used it again.
>>
I love linux, but it's retarded to consider being difficult to use a badge of honour.

It goes beyond just being familiar with other operating systems, any distro I tried had more than it's fair share of obtuseness.

Using an OS for common tasks should be trivial, sorry.
>>
>>53640861
Fuck off with your millenials you ignorant fuck. Millennial means anymore born between 1980 and 2000. You can be a millennial in your mid thirties. Do you even know the name of the generation you mean to insult?
>>
In some graphic cards with fermi architecture and nouveau the graphic card lock itself and nouveau fails since 2011 and you need to use nonfree drivers yes or yes...
>2016
Still not fixed
>>
>>53642001
>It goes beyond just being familiar with other operating systems
Windows is tech at schools as if it were that way a computer should work. If windows has teach me something is that putting microsoft in charge of deciding what is "normal" is not a good idea.
>>
>>53642346
damn
*teach
*the way
>>
>>53639940
>>go to nvidia website and download linux driver
so you're not reasonably good with computers
>>
>>53641823
>/usr/bin doesn't exist
wew lad
>>
>>53640441
which ppa is that?
>>
>>53639940
>I'm good at computers cause I can use Windows...

Does anyone else read this and hear it in a child's voice?
>>
>>53642463
im guessing xorg-edgers
>>
>>53642346
I'm not advocating teaching any operating system.

My mother never used a computer in her life, but she picked up an ipad and could use it instantly.
That's a huge design achievement, and I'm not saying computers should be as basic as IOS, but designing a GUI to require no prior knowledge or research seems like a worthy goal.
>>
>>53642501
I agree with that sentiment. This is why I think GNOME 3 is great.
>>
>>53642501
The iPad comes with iOS preinstalled, I have installed ubuntu to people that barely knows how to use a computer and they're using it without hassle, in fact, by doing that I've reduced a lot the amount of tech support compared to windows.
>>
>>53640798
Why is the backup tool in win 10 called "Backup and restore (windows 7)" it's like they forgot to make a new tool and they said fuck it put the old one in there. but the issue is the old one had all kinds of problems with backing up to a network storage device and it still does. In order for me to back up my win 10 laptop I had to Set up the tool to save backups to my NAS but the first few times it failed and never gave me an error. Turns out you actually have to map a network drive that you're saving to or else the tool can't see it even though you can browse to it inside the Backup Tool. Then it takes 4 hours to backup an 80GB ssd like what the fuck is it doing WINDOWS FUCK U.
>>
>>53639968
I did it just yesterday using 3 different hard disks with 3 different windows installations from 3 different laptops and all worked fine on my pc. Kind of surprised too because I thought the product key was somehow tied to the motherboard.
>>
>>53639940
Ubuntu is not as intuitive and therefor not as good as windows. Linux is very terminal based and you will need to know a lot of commands in order to setup and maintain your os. It will cost time but it is worth it, if you want to switch from windows. Btw, this is also the reason why the linux community is so toxic. They wasted useless time learning all that stuff, while you had several fap sessions on your easy windows platform. This is the reason why linux users hate windows users.
>>
File: 1458745370429.png (13 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1458745370429.png
13 KB, 400x400
>leeenucks
>>
>>53643035
>Linux is very terminal based and you will need to know a lot of commands in order to setup and maintain your os
...no, you don't
>>
>>53639940
package managers exist for a reason op...
>>
>>53642793
>3 different hard disks with 3 different windows installations from 3 different laptops
I did it 5 times.
>>
>>53639940
Installing the NVIDIA drivers can literally be done by searching for "Additional Drivers" and pressing a button.
>>
>>53641823
It does have a exe alternative. It's called ELF. The only difference is that libraries are usually globally installed on Linux, to reduce disk usage.
>>
That's what you get for using proprietary software.
>>
>>53639968
That's a shit example, you can even do that with win10. Problems only arise after you swap it like 4+ times in machines with totally different hardware and you've got undeniable/undeferrable updates for things you don't have and the only fix is a full reinstall.
>>
>>53639968
I do this all the time actually...
>>
>>53639940

Just go back to Windows.

Linux is literally unusable shit, used only by neckbeards who have nothing better to do than fuck around with console commands in their mother's basement.
>>
>>53643050
a lot of changes you intend to make will require you to work with the os on the command-line level.
>>
>>53643770
such as?
>>
>>53643796
Installing any 3rd party software. You are naive if you claim its intuitive and easy as in windows.
>>
>>53643819
what, download the .deb file and install it via the software center requries command line?
>>
>>53643844
>implying this will leave you with a functional software.
Maybe what I did several years ago wasn't as functional as today, but I had several corrupt installations when doing it this way. Which required additional work with the in order to solve the issue.
>>
>>53643903
not ran into issues personally, but dont really use it very often either
>>
You're just a noob. I used ubuntu when I was about 13 ( roughly ten years ago now, so it was less developed than it is now!) and suffered no such problems.
>>
>>53643050
fuck off faggot. the first solution in the thread to op's problem is some sudo app get bullshit. IT JUST WERKS HUH?
>>
>>53644074
you can install drivers 100% from gui, dont even need to go online to download any .deb unlike windows where you need to download them manually
>>
>>53639940
I feel you, OP.
>Try Arch. Can't update anymore because I deferred updates for a while
>Try Mint. Bloated green shit with viruses in the iso
>Try ubuntu. More ads than Win 10
>Try Gentoo. Incompatible with my laptop(how?)
I've settle with Elementary since I need it for work but I never use Linux on my personal time.
>>
File: 1448062398439.jpg (104 KB, 550x397) Image search: [Google]
1448062398439.jpg
104 KB, 550x397
>>53639940
> Implying thinking hes good with computers
> can't even fucking run a script without cp
> can't even use package manager
> doesn't checked compatibility
Damn OP is to dumb to run fucking Ubuntu topkek
>>
>>53644176
>Try ubuntu. More ads than Win 10
you can remove them from unity or switch DEs and it will get rid of the amazon spyglass; but you knew that already...
>>
>>53644188
so when you first switched to linux you already knew how to do all of those things and had no problems whatsoever? fucking liar
>>
The truth here is really just about hardware compatibility. Yeah, it's not as good as Windows. But also you have the option of simply informing yourself online.

It's not that Linux doesn't work in general - it does and does so to a subjectively greater level than Windows - it's just that some hardware vendors choose not to support it.

>>53640516
This is also true. But get supported hardware and you won't have any problems.
>>
>>53640424
>recommending deprecated software
Why are there so many plebs on /g/ these days?
>>
File: linux_noobs_vs_linux_veterans.jpg (104 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
linux_noobs_vs_linux_veterans.jpg
104 KB, 640x1136
>>53644199
Well I read as much information about it as i could and checked compatibility. I also installed it for dual boot - as I wasn't sure if everything will work and how it works.
And before im copy and paste something into the terminal i always read what it does to understand how it works

Switching Systems means also Switching habits. If you're thinking that everything is working the same
> double clicking on .run
Youre just a total fag.
>>
>>53644190
You can remove the ads in Win10 too. Doesn't stop people from complaining about it though.
>>
>>53640426
Just had to do it the other day. Old computer using mobo fake raid and I had to port it to a new motherboard with another raid 1. Got it working. Definitely a challenge.
>>
>>53644533
>fake raid

Fake raid?
>>
>>53644644
The motherboard's built in raid controller. Typically shit tier.
>>
>>53644678
Oh.

What chipset it was? VIA VT8237R? Intel's AHCI/RAID BIOS?ALi M1689's RAID BIOS?

>generally,most motherboards I had with RAID had Sillicon Image SIL3112 (ASUS A7N8X-E),Promise PDC20378 (ASUS P4P800-E) and one of ITE's RAID chips (ASUS P5LD2,my main PC)
>>
>>53644733
I was going from an Asus M4A78 board (so probably AMD 770G) to an Asus A88XM-A board. (AMD A88 chipset).
>>
>>53640983
>you may, especially if youre a retard
>>
>>53639940

>Not just using the Alternative Drivers menu
You deserve it, dumbass.
>>
>>53639968

Since Windows 8.
>>
File: 1454904103775.jpg (92 KB, 878x814) Image search: [Google]
1454904103775.jpg
92 KB, 878x814
>there's no "installed programs" list
>reasonably good with computers
>>
>>53644264
>7

>deprecated
Thread replies: 213
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.