[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/, where should the fuse go?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: fusewhere.png (136 KB, 1000x576) Image search: [Google]
fusewhere.png
136 KB, 1000x576
/g/, where should the fuse go?
>>
Hot leg of supply transformer.
>>
Fuses are for cucks
>>
wtf is this diagram
electrical engineer here

what are you trying to do? genuinely trying to help
>>
>>53626856
you probably want something like this OP.
note that the transformer should not be grounded, both on the secondary or primary side.
and also if i were you i'd use a mains powered power supply, even an ATX computer power supply to supply power to your shit. this design is bad because you can't supply a lot of power and you'd experience a lot of ripple.
>>
>>53626856
on the short ;)
>>
You should post this on /diy/ OP, they'll get a real laugh out of it.
>>
>>53627227
literally everything about op's shit is wrong
housefire material right here
>>
>>53627072
trying to control a diy servo via an arduino
>>
>>53626856
>>53627072
I'm trying to make a servo using a motor that is rated for 3A, 12V using an arduino
>>
>>53627259
servo as in closed loop control?
If I were you, I'd buy a decent high current 12V power supply and feed the 12V into the Vin of the arduino (it's the barrel connector on the arduino) and to the motor board. Don't bother with mains, it's expensive and annoying.
>>
>>53627166
>transformer should not be grounded
>grounds transformer
>>
Pretty good anon, 7/10
>>
>>53627166
it's not grounded you retard. i meant grounding one of the windings fucks with the bridge rectifier
>>
>>53627272
the servo is for a gaming steering wheel i'm working on.
>>
>>53627308
cool. I would honestly buy one of those industrial 12V power supplies if you were serious about it. there still exists a risk of housefire so be careful.
If I were you I'd fuse the input mains with something suitable like 1A, fuse the 12V rail going to your motor board with 4A or something, fuse the arduino board with 100mA. sounds good?
>>
>>53626856
In userspace
>>
>>53627333
i'm new to electronics. i'd much rather build my own shit than use pre-built stuff just so I can learn shit like 'this causes a housefire'
>>
>>53627366
start by doping silicon
>>
>Bridge rectifier does nothing
>Magic windings are magic
>Ambiguous black boxes labelled controller board and motor board
>Ardweeny
>Not-invented-here syndrome
Dis gon be gud. Get a camera. I wanna see what happens.
>>
File: 1458664438864.png (125 KB, 1322x692) Image search: [Google]
1458664438864.png
125 KB, 1322x692
>>
> using a fuse with a battery
fucking lel'd
>>
OP, I'd really recommend getting a pre-built power supply. Yes, you can make it yourself, but it's not worth the hassle. Prebuilt power supplies have nice things like resettable short-circuit protection, over-current protection, and very stable voltages. You'll have a much better time.
>>
OP you're obviously pretty new at this you really shouldn't be messing with mains voltages. Stick with low voltages especially battery powered stuff. You wont make a better power supply than the ones that are sold online anyway.
>>
>>53627366
Hopefully you're still here. If you really want to do everything yourself, you NEED a switch mode power supply. Why? Because a linear power supply like yours is poorly regulated so it's gonna be horrible for your digital electronics because of the ripple, and needs a huge ass transformer to deliver the power you need (expensive).

Therefore, you NEED to use a switchmode power supply, regardless of if you buy it or make on your own.

You can design your own switchmode power supply but considering how basic your skills are I'd stick to store bought power supplies. Pro engineers don't bother with power supplies because they are smart enough to know that they don't have enough experience to design efficient, small and safe power supplie; so they make power supply engineers who has done it forever to do it for them. True fact.

I guarantee you, if cost is even a modicum of a concern for you, you don't wanna design anything yourself. One-off parts are insanely expensive, especially metal parts/heatsinking.
>>
>>53628491
okay thanks. I'll just use a computer power supply then.
>>
>>53628510
Make sure to put a fuse on the PSU on the mains side AND the low voltage DC side as well. Those PSUs can pump out a bajillion watts and fuck your shit up.
For reference here are the posts *I* made, and I stand by all the advice I made in these posts:
>>53627072
>>53627166
>>53627242
>>53627272
>>53627333
>>53628491
>>
>>53627575
This, that's what you should do if you really want to learn anything.
And solder cpus.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.