[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The future of graphics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: iojoij.jpg (129 KB, 1024x640) Image search: [Google]
iojoij.jpg
129 KB, 1024x640
How long until we have graphics cards for the consumer market that can render stuff like this in real-time?

I guess pascal won't quite make it, but what about polaris?
>>
If you're asking me, this is only slightly more visually demanding than Black Desert Online (I don't play much vidya so that is my standard of comparison)

I can run BDO in 4K with my two 970s at around 40 FPS... so...

unless i'm missing something it's pretty damn close to being possible if not possible already
>>
Are you asking when consumer graphics cards will be able to render film quality CGI scenes in real time?
B

Because the answer is never you stupid kid.
>>
>>53626558
why would you buy 2 970's? To be king of the poor people? Combine two cards and get the bus width that one should have?
>>
>>53626573
It cost me about 500 usd and I'm a fucking homosexual

If I had the choice I'd have just gotten a single 980ti but I wasn't comfortable coughing up another 150 or so bucks
>>
We're pretty close already. The only thing we don't have now is real time ray tracing.
>>
>>53626593
is that a real time image?

fuck. we've made so much progress in the last decade, I don't know if the momentum will continue
>>
>>53626593
Really?

So the render farms where they do a single frame a time where they use clusters of low level supercomputers and it takes days and weeks to finish a single feature film, that's all just for show?

You're really comparing video games to CGI?
>>
"hey check out the pre-rendered cutscenes"

played back in "real time"

you people are painfully retarded.
>>
File: 1.jpg (272 KB, 936x526) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
272 KB, 936x526
>>53626615
So it looks like you've answered your own question then. If you want to render things like the latest Pixar flick in real time, it'll be at least 10-15 years.

Spirits Within came out in 2001 and we're only just now getting to the point of rendering things at the same level in real time, but without ray tracing.
>>
>>53626670
I don't know, can you show me something that looks like Spirits Within on a modern day gaming console/gaming PC?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.