[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GNU/Linux and Mac OS marketshare dominating among developers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 1438879230483.png (39 KB, 1240x698) Image search: [Google]
1438879230483.png
39 KB, 1240x698
http://www.itproportal.com/2016/03/21/os-x-and-linux-rise-developer-market-threaten-windows/

I thought this was interesting. Most people I know actually don't use Windows, so seeing a different sort of marketshare statistic made me feel less crazy.

Also please no shitting on Mac OS in this thread. They are our unix-like brethren.
>>
>>53626013
>brethren
OSX technically, yeah sure.

Mac users? Nope.

No single respectable developer anywhere uses a Mac.
>>
File: 1406551341466.jpg (208 KB, 1317x801) Image search: [Google]
1406551341466.jpg
208 KB, 1317x801
>>53626025
>No single respectable developer anywhere uses a Mac.
It feels weird defending something I don't do myself.

Let me ask this, are you saying the OS is fine but the hardware isn't, or are you saying that while the OS is fine, no one decent uses it?

I can't seem to find the pic, but I think there's an infographic somewhere showing a bunch of well-known developers (like for C and BSD and such I think) using a Mac.
>>
My company (and many others that I'm aware of) give their devs Macbook Pros to work on (in addition to their normal workstation computer; not as a primary computer. for use outside of work, etc.).

It has all of the command line tools of unix, while still being less of a hassle in other ways. Why would a dev not want to use OSX over Linux or Windows?

There's not really much advantage to using Linux as a dev, while there's a lot of disadvantages.
>>
>>53626068
The advantage is freedom. Not sure how significant this advantage is though.
>>
>>53626068
Meant to reply to >>53626025 ; also meant there's not much advantage to using linux over OSX*
>>
my only concern is that when Linux is popular enough to get games, will I be able to pirate them?

I worried that I cannot pirate my favorites games when Linux is the box of choice for gayman
>>
>>53626025
>Linus Torvalds isn't a respectable developer
>>
>>53626052
https://usesthis.com/

why have an infographic
everything on this site is a mac ad
>>
>>53628152
Yes you can pirate linux games. It's even slightly easier in most cases.
>>
>>53626025
pretty sure Linus and the guy who invented Archlinux use macs, as well as many of the linux devs.

Not a single respectable person anywhere deals with absolutes like you
>>
>>53628152
oh heaven forbid you might have to get a job to pay for your hobbies.
>>
>>53626013
>dominating among developers
>windows still at over 50%
the clickbait

I have noticed that not many people use windows in certain crowds as well OP. A lot of people I know use ubuntu, another guy I know in IT uses kali but he actually uses a lot of those programs it comes with
>>
>>53626013
Why isn't this the "official" Linux mascot/logo? The fat excuse for a penguin is ugly as fuck.
>>
>>53631986
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.