[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Scratch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6
The company that I'm working for is going to have an Take a Girl Child to Work Day.
Since the company is a programming company, we wanted to show the girls how to program.
Obviously we couldn't teach them any real programming language as they are too much to grasp for a day and it's just to encourage them to program and inspire to experiment with such things on their own.
Is Scratch a good language for this because of its simplicity and drag'n drop "programming"?
>>
File: 1456221989894.jpg (201 KB, 767x806) Image search: [Google]
1456221989894.jpg
201 KB, 767x806
>>
>>53623165
Teach them common lisp
>>
>>53623165
Teach them how to hack
>>
>>53623173
That actually sounds better than Scratch because, if I understand it correctly, you can also see the code that's run. I will look into that more, thank you!

>>53623175
As much as I'd like to give them a "real" programming language for a crash course, I don't know how well their mathematical skills are to be able to use any Lisp dialect.

>>53623188
While I agree that this is something interesting, I don't think that we should teach them something like this, even for a day. That's something they can look up themselves if the interest is awakened.
>>
>>53623165
>Take a Girl Child to Work Day
are you serious?
>>
>>53623344
I am.
The Girls' Day (which is the "German" name for that event) is essentially the same as the Take a Child to Work Day (I had to look up in Wikipedia if there was an English equivalent to the Girls' Day to be perfectly honest).
>>
No matter how enthusiastic you are when they see that your workplace is a bunch of desks where you do hard things all day they'll hate it.
>>
File: fedora dog.jpg (260 KB, 900x948) Image search: [Google]
fedora dog.jpg
260 KB, 900x948
teach them to
>install gentoo
>>
Show them how to draw stuff in LOGO.
>>
>>53623451
Or Python, it also supports turtle graphics.
>>
File: 1458372933975.jpg (20 KB, 376x410) Image search: [Google]
1458372933975.jpg
20 KB, 376x410
>>53623344
>>53623398
>>
>take a boy child to work day
SEXIST PIGS
>take a girl child to work day
so progressive and equal wow
>>
File: 1458372951902.jpg (119 KB, 780x600) Image search: [Google]
1458372951902.jpg
119 KB, 780x600
>>53623481
don't fucking start
>>
File: girls_in_tech.jpg (132 KB, 632x749) Image search: [Google]
girls_in_tech.jpg
132 KB, 632x749
>>53623481
Since 2011 we also have a "Boys'Day" where boys can look into jobs where predominantly women work.
"Girls'Day" exists since 2001.

Participation is voluntary.
>>
>>53623403
Why 99% of women take jobs in non-deadline, non-office settings.

Teacher
Nurse
Hair Stylist
Cashier
Etc...

Many don't desire a mental workout. They want to "feel" a connection with the people they work with, rather than
CVS 11019 - Fixed bug in login.php that would pass invalid token to loop.php, QA/S1
>>
>>53623188
Teach them how to [spoiler]cum[/spoiler]
>>
Hi OP.

My mom has had a very similar day where she was supposed to do pretty much the exact same thing. She had 4 weeks of this, different group of 4 each week. They only had 1.5hours to do something and they did some GPIO on week, another group got python. But eventually we both agreed that to garner interest it's not really about teaching them anything. It's about presenting the job, good and bad.

For instance, her work hours are extremely flexible. Unless there's a meeting she can go there and work at night if she wanted to (though boss is obviously concerned with the health of employees and bad sleep habits are a problem). That's very appealing when you're considering high-income careers. I also think that if you think about programmers they often don't appear to have much variation in their work. My mom communicates a lot with her team. I think that appeals to girls but that's kinda sexist obviously.

Just having them understand the workplace is important though. I don't think they really gain anything by learning scratch. Depends on the age of these girls but if they had the interest they would already have run into programming in some form most likely.

So presenting the other stuff is important. Also I think it's more important to present what you're actually doing, problem solving and system design, rather than syntax or dropping stuff in like in Scratch.

My moms girls were ages 14-17 I believe. They came because they had left notice of interest.

Week 5 they stopped because they didn't have any girls left. So 16 girls in total in a town of 88k. We both considered it awful that boys weren't allowed because the insight is very important regardless of gender. It's important to realize the scale of these underlying systems as-well. People don't appreciate design enough. If you look at a powerplant you should see that everything there has massive amounts of effort put into it. And it's very easy when you're not invested to miss that, I'd be impressed.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.