[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Xeon Skylake BCLK overclocking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: Xeon E3 1230 v5 Skylake.jpg (37 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Xeon E3 1230 v5 Skylake.jpg
37 KB, 640x480
Anyone have any experience overclocking the new Xeon chips using base clock adjustments? I'm waiting on my Xeon E3 1230 v5 Skylake and ASRock E3V5 mobo to come in and I'm looking forward to seeing what it's going to be capable of.
>>
Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask this question. For anyone interested here is a link with some information about it:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asrock-non-z170-bclk-overclocking-motherboards,31362.html
>>
Nobody can have any experience because this stuff is new.
>>
>>53623002
Wow, really? I mean I knew these were new parts but I figured someone would have some experience with it. Well I'll definitely check it out and let you know what kind of results I get? Is that information this board would be interested in? My parts should come in tomorrow evening.
>>
Just make sure you have the bios which allows BCLK overclocking because Intel started blocking this.

BCLK overclocking isn't new, it became a problem because Intel linked Sata and PCI-E to it so if you overclocked BCLK it would also overclock Sata and PCI-E, Skylake no longer has all those 3 linked anymore so you can safety overclock using it.

BCLK overclocking is easy as fuck, you have a base BCLK of 100.00, all you have to do is push it further, lets say you have a default core multiplier of 33 and a BCLK of 100.00 you will then have a CPU clocked at 3300mhz.

If you push BCLK to 120.00 and a core multiplier of 33 you will have a core clock of 3960mhz.
>>
>>53623106
Yeah, the ASRock board has a "Hyper BCLK engine" which allows for that kind of overclocking. According to that article I linked in the second post in this thread, this specific motherboard is the only one that allows that for the Xeon Skylake chips right no. I'm kind of new to the whole overclocking process but I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out. Any suggestions though and do you think I'll need an aftermarket cooler or will it be mild enough that the stock cooler will do the job?
>>
File: assrock.png (307 KB, 1188x745) Image search: [Google]
assrock.png
307 KB, 1188x745
Assrock is not circumventing the new microcode update with their external clock generators for non-k overclocking. They are releasing new boards with old microcode and then they release the new microcode BIOS and remove the OC function. If you are OK with old microcode and accept some bugs in rare complex shit in burning tests like GIMPS go ahead keep using old microcode and OC, but still intel is cucking you at the end
>>
>Intel blocks Windows 7 on Skylake
>ASRock releases tools to still let you use Windows 7
>Intel blocks overclocking on non-K CPUs
>ASRock invents Sky OC
>Non-Z chipsets have no BCLK generator
>ASRock puts their Hyper BCLK Engine on non-Z boards

Based ASRock is always fighting on the side of the customers.
>>
File: windows_update_removes_OC.png (65 KB, 1405x554) Image search: [Google]
windows_update_removes_OC.png
65 KB, 1405x554
>>53622571
>>53623254
Oh also, Windows updates microcode by windows updates, and you have to dance around that if you are planning to use Windows 10. They have removed non z chipset overclocking by this was before:
http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=441&PN=1&title=kb3064209-breaks-the-g3258
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.