[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
LINUX IS SHIT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7
File: 1458566362444.jpg (93 KB, 656x656) Image search: [Google]
1458566362444.jpg
93 KB, 656x656
Open source web browser Mozilla Firefox commits suicide killing every project that relies on it

Only option for muh open source that works is muh Google BOTNET Chrome or derivatives

inb4 muh Midori/Konqueror cuckedbyapple Safari clones that crash all the time
>>
Opera 12.16 and SeaMoney run fine

Regardless, browsers are not Linux.
>>
>>53619621
nice source you winfag piece of shit
>>
>>53619633

>Opera 12.16

CLOSED SOURCE CHROME DERIVATIVE

>and SeaMoney run fine

DEAD OUTDATED AND INSECURE FIREFOX DERIVATIVE
>>
>>53619656

>needing sources for obvious facts
>not knowing his browsers are derivatives
>>
>>53619714
>CLOSED SOURCE CHROME DERIVATIVE
Not a Chrome derivative moron. Freetard being fucking retarded? What a surprise!
>DEAD OUTDATED AND INSECURE FIREFOX DERIVATIVE
SeaMonkey's not exaca Firefox derivative, it's a continuation of the Mozilla Application Suite. It's also neither dead nor outdated.
>>
File: 1458596142717.png (319 KB, 908x765) Image search: [Google]
1458596142717.png
319 KB, 908x765
>>53619762
>Not a Chrome derivative moron.

YOU'RE THE FUCKING MORON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_browser_engine

OPERA IS ALSO CHINESE BOTNET

http://recode.net/2016/02/09/opera-gets-1-2-billion-buyout-offer-from-chinese-consortium-that-includes-qihoo-360/

SeaMonkey is OLD DEAD INSECURE!!!!
>>
>>53619849
SeaMonkey (comm-central) is literally compiled off of the most recent Firefox and Thunderbird codebases.. please stop spreading misinformation.
>>
>>53619849
>he thinks Opera 12.16 is Chrome based
>he thinks SeaMonkey is outdated
>calling others morons
>>
Jesus Christ this entire thread.
>>
>>53619899
these people will be your fellow colleagues in 5-8 years. just let that sink in for a moment
>>
>>53619621
I wish I could get my hands that close to Taylor's tits and have her enjoy it.
>>
File: 1458479964279.jpg (134 KB, 1080x1283) Image search: [Google]
1458479964279.jpg
134 KB, 1080x1283
>>53619873

SeaMonkey can be compiled off the codebase of the most insecure browser.

PWN2OWN LITERALLY IGNORED IT BECAUSE IT' SO INSECURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>Firefox was too easy of a target, and it hasn’t added major security improvements over the past year.

>Firefox was supposed to add the ever-delayed Electrolysis partial-sandboxing architecture to Firefox 43, but then it was delayed until version 45. However, we’re now at Firefox 45, and Electrolysis is still not enabled by default in the browser. Firefox remains one of the last major browsers not to have a sandboxing system, which exposes it to more security vulnerabilities compared to its competitors.

>However, even when Firefox finally adopts Electrolysis by default, it won’t be a full sandbox for each tab as we see in Chrome or Edge, but only a partial one. It will enable a single “content process” (with content from all tabs) to be isolated from the rest of the browser.
>>
>>53619928
They totally did it
>>
>>53619849
Opera 12 is Presto based you stupid shit
>>
File: 1458458851776.jpg (33 KB, 400x292) Image search: [Google]
1458458851776.jpg
33 KB, 400x292
>>53619958

WEW LAD!!!!!!!!!!!

>As of Opera 15, the desktop browser uses a Chromium backend, replacing Presto with the Blink layout engine.

https://dev.opera.com/blog/300-million-users-and-move-to-webkit/
>>
>>53620055
No fucking shit, but last I checked Opera 12 wasn't Opera 15 or any newer version, it's fucking Opera 12.
>>
File: Edward_Snowden_Closeup_Wide.jpg (38 KB, 526x395) Image search: [Google]
Edward_Snowden_Closeup_Wide.jpg
38 KB, 526x395
>>53620082

>2016
>using outdated insecure browsers

Should have stuck with XP and IE6 because that's how dumb you look now
>>
>>53619621
linux isn't shit because of open source browsers that have nothing to do with linux

linux is shit because it's developed by basement dwellers with no sense of intuitive UI design and a pervasive sense of knowing what the users want better than the users themselves do - which is wrong 100% of the time.

So linux UI starts out shit for anyone who isn't willing to learn a shitton of OS-specific commands, and then never improves because all the grognards think it should stay this way.

And then these idiots have the wherewithal to complain that linux isn't taking over the desktop despite having all these comparable features that nobody can fucking use because the UI is always a piece of shit.

Just look at the kind of bullshit you have to jump through to do anything in gimp - I wanted to draw a simple straight line and I literally had to fucking google to find out why there's no tool for it, only to find out the only way to do it is a goddamn button combination. I installed an IDE the other day on my mint laptop and not only does it have this bullshit where I have to start a project before I can actually compile the fucking file I'm working on, but basic code that'll run just fine in dev++ on windows will actually fucking crash the IDE in mint!

And ffs, that same laptop I had to reinstall mint twice because the first time it didn't properly talk with the bios about engaging the wifi when it installed. I spent two fucking days trying to figure out what driver package I needed before I ran into a solution that involved uninstalling everything and resetting the bios before reinstalling.

We're talking about pretty much the easiest hands-off version of linux out there and nothing fucking works right.

Until it and its programs are as easy to use as windows is, and linux neckbeards get the fuck over their superiority complex, linux will never gain any marketshare.

cue the sour grapes grognards claiming they didn't want the marketshare anyways.
>>
>>53620164
I'd upgrade if there was something to upgrade to, but everything else is shit. I've decided to keep using Opera 12 till it no longer works with the modern web.
>>
>>53620082

Please stop posting. You're making us all look bad
>>
>>53620204
No u
>>
Im seeing a whole lot of arguing, but no one really saying what they think the most secure browser/best/leastbotnet browser is.
>>
>>53620321

Edge is the best browser. As secure as Chrome with less botnet.
>>
>>53620176
>wahhhh this new OS/software isn't the old OS/software I used

No shit, Linux is completely different, things work differently.
Linux offers a different paradigm, either you're interested in it it, you're willing to deal with it's ecosystem's shortcomings for ethical/philosophical reasons, or you're not.

You basically just went into Burger King and complained that your Whopper didn't have Mac Sauce on it.

Here, let me try:
I used windows the other day, holy shit what a joke! The piece of shit Internet Explorer browser froze, and after like 3 minutes of it waiting for it to close and clicking kill process in the task manager over and over still nothing happened, so I tried to pop-open a terminal and `pkill -9 iexpl<tab>` only to find out that pkill isn't a command, the OS doesn't even have signals, and the shell isn't even POSIX compliant.
>>
>>53620917
>Linux offers a different paradigm, either you're interested in it it, you're willing to deal with it's ecosystem's shortcomings for ethical/philosophical reasons, or you're not.

THIS IS THE CANCER KILLING LINUX ON THE DESKTOP
>>
WTF? Where did you get this pic of my daughter?

AND WHO IS THAT WITH HER?!?!?
>>
>>53620944

Well constructed argument, friend.
>>
/g/ is legit cancer
>>
>>53620917
your post is exactly what is killing linux as an alternative to windows

you refuse to acknowledge the many problems and issues it has, especially for run-of-the-mill users

burying your head in the sand won't get people moving away from windows, you have to stop pretending linux doesn't suck and start actually fixing it
>>
>>53621022
there's literally nothing wrong with Linux itself (as in the actual kernel) or the userland infrastructure

it's only shortcomings are with people bitching about how it's not identical to [thing they used before] and being too lazy to adapt to a new workflow or learn new concepts, and yeah, the occasional UX glitch.

>your post is exactly what is killing linux as an alternative to windows
yeah, me posting on some imageboard is ruining the adoption rate, right-o

meanwhile, my computer illiterate mother uses Kubuntu as her only OS and has 0 problems with it, and I've converted several of my normie friends into dual-booters who only switch for games
>>
>>53621022
I'm not him but I already have used Linux on the desktop for years now. Even now I'm writing from it.

You just have to stop assuming that Linux would have anything to do with basement dwellers, since it doesn't. People getting paid are the ones who are developing Linux, not random people on 4chan. Ricing has nothing to do with developing. By crying like a helpless retard on /g/ you won't push any fixes forward.

You can do those fixes yourself since it's open source, but I know you won't.
>>
Why do you all motherfuckers talk about Linux like it's an OS? Are you retarded?
>>
>>53621188
Epic mem friend.
>>
>>53621188
No we're just not deluded faggots like you. It's Linux, whether you're talking about the kernel itself or operating systems.
>>
>>53621022
Dude nobody cares that you're too stupid to work with ubuntu, go back to windoze and fire up edge and stream more mindless shit from youtube, since it's all you'll ever be good at in life you pathetic faggot lol.
>>
He's right you know
>>
>>53620176
>Linux UI starts out shit for anyone who isn't willing to learn a shitton of OS-specific commands

Linux has more than one UI faggot. MATE, Cinnemon, XFCE, and if tweaked, Gnome 3, are all on par with any propritary OS.

If you can't figure out how to draw a line in GIMP, you're beyond help.

I've had that wi-fi issue with Linux AND going back to Windows 7 from 8.

BTW, Linux has a huge marketshare. Android is linux. Most smarthome products use linux. Linux is used extensively for servers and databases.

The marketshare is only small for home users.

BTW, only autists care about marketshare. It's about whichever software runs best for you. If you know how to use a computer well, that software should be a Linux distro (Likely Debian, Fedora, or Arch).

Also, marketshare would mean viruses (Just look at android), so I'm ok with the low market share for that reason alone.
>>
>>53620176
holy shit, what I see is one incompetent, autistic brat, acting like feminist by crying on an imageboard because people won't change the world so it perfectly fits you.

Guess what ? Nobody cares about marketshares. Most Competent people see each OS with their pros and cons, and if their OS isn't made for their particular use, they just stfu and use that other one with more pros than cons. It's the fucking same with every fucking software ! You compare the pros and cons of all the softwares that might fill your needs, and you pick the one you prefer/suits you best. Seriously how retarded are you ?
And if you can't draw a fucking line in Gimp, it's not linux or even gimp that's a problem, it's fucking YOU ! I mean seriously, that's a pretty big sign, telling you to go see a doctor or something else, you might not be a genuine retard, maybe you're sick, or something, and it can be cured. Really you should check that out.

But hey, you wanna know something ? Linux is open source, so if not 100% of the users have a particular need, you can actually change and fix your OS to your liking, which isn't possible on Windows.
But again, that would require you to do something, right ? It's so much easier to cry, and complain while praying for someone to change your favourite OS so it 100% suits YOU and ONLY you !
>>
>>53619633
> Opera 12.16
Would be good if it was actually updated, but too many things are broken now.
>>
>>53619621
>a post that literally has nothing to do with linux
>>
>>53622501
>tfw 99% of the sites I visit still work
>>
I wonder how many black dicks t swizzle has taken.
>>
>>53619714
t. Autism
>>
>>53620176
are you really complaining about not having a good IDE with a linux distro?
>>
>not using Netscape
>>
>>53619849
>http://recode.net/2016/02/09/opera-gets-1-2-billion-buyout-offer-from-chinese-consortium-that-includes-qihoo-360/

Noooooooooo :(((
>>
>>53620176
You know what? You're absolutely right.
I've used Linux for like a year now (not because muh freedom or anything like that, I just thought it was better for web development), and recently I came back to Windows, and God, it feels like I can actually do something now. Now I use Vagrant and it's all good man. Your whole rant is pretty much my experience with it.
>>
>>53622003
>MATE, Cinnemon, XFCE, and if tweaked, Gnome 3, are all on par with any propritary OS.
Yet they still suck.
>>
>>53622410
You shouldn't need to use a button combo to draw a line in an image manipulation program with a GUI and all those other tools that can be viewed and accessed readily literally with one click.
>>
>>53622003
>MATE, Cinnemon, XFCE, and if tweaked, Gnome 3, are all on par with any propritary OS.

First 3 are fairly featureless. Cinnamon is kinda getting there. Fourth one still performs like shit in comparison. Also, to depend on Compiz to even have some decent animations is sad.
>>
>>53624164
Xfce has loads of features
>>
>>53620176
>muh non intuitive Linux DE-UI

Welcome to 2005
>>
Leave thread, op is raging homosexual
>>
>>53624179

Xfce's main feature is cloning Windows XP
>>
>>53624299
Just get out of here, retard
>>
>>53619621
you just KNOW they fucked
>>
>>53621022
windows point-and-click design might be great for the average "know nothing about computers" user,
but such a design greatly limits what can be done with it.
>>
>>53625705
can you use photoshop inside your terminal?
>>
>>53625875
yeah it's called imagemagick and it's more feature rich (:^)
>>
>>53625903
more feature rich
more than tree command on windows? maybe
>>
>>53619849
Jesus Christ. You don't deserve to have a shift/caplocks key on your keyboard.
>>
>>53625875
with imagemagick and gimp you can do simple manipulations on the command line,
>>
>>53625705
>but such a design greatly limits what can be done with it
no it doesn't
you don't have to get rid of terminal shit, just add a decent ui with it
>>
>>53625942
You can't have both anon, it simply can't be done.
>>
>>53625942
you can have both of course, but usually with programs designed for human use, automation and scripting are often not possible for it.
>>
>>53619714
>Opera
that empty space on top
>>
File: 1447447046277.jpg (43 KB, 627x626) Image search: [Google]
1447447046277.jpg
43 KB, 627x626
>>53625960
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.