[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/desktop/ - why are you using a linux distribution?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
Why are you using a linux distribution?
Are you happy or is it just because you hate windows or osx?
>>
>>53618616
Because I wanted good strong encryption. And I actually really enjoy working with Ubuntu more than Windows
>>
Because Windows 7 runs like shit on my 11 years old laptop, and Windows XP is a fucking piece of shit.
>>
>>53618616
Sorry OP, but there is no such thing like a "linux distribution". Linux is just a kernel, added the GNU operating system.
>>
>>53618921
Seriously, stop being a troll
>>
>>53618616
1. Because the desktops on Linux are vastly superior to Windows in terms of usability. Specifically, AwesomeWM and other tiling window managers.
2. Because the Windows console is laughably sad in comparison to bash let alone more advanced shells. Powershell wasn't a thing years ago when I switched to Linux and what I've seen of it so far is not blowing my skirt up.
3. Because I'm a faggot and I like to rice my shit. Ricing sucks on Windows.
4. Because every programming language and almost every programming environment (except, say, VisualStudio which I do like) is available for free.
5. Package management. Holy shit how has Windows not already had this for twenty years? M$ is now FINALLY trying to push their walled garden bullshit like Apple's and Google's stores, but it's so pathetic how late to the party they are. Oh, but wait, why should I give a fuck when Linux has had all that for FREE for decades?

And now that Steam and almost all of the gaymes that I give a shit about run natively on Linux there's absolutely no reason to use Windows. I might occasionally boot back over just so I can play something that I really really love, but I boot straight back to Linux full-time as soon as I get that out of my system after a week or two.

tl;dr: because usability.
>>
>>53618616
I enjoy it, it also helps it's free. I have quite a few servers that are Linux based and never had an issue with them.
>>
>>53618616
Because it's more comfy for everyday mundane tasks, also for work, I like using the console on linux, I also like how easy is to know exactly what's going on on the system, and how, at least in most of the cases, the community actually tries to make you understand your problem when trying to help you, instead of just give you some copypaste steps.

That doesn't mean I hate windows nor OSX, it's true that I don't like OSX, I think it's because I haven't spend that much time on it, but it just doesn't call my attention, windows 10 does suck, and I don't agree with the way microsoft is handling things at this moment, but windows 7 is a nice OS and I enjoy using it every once in a while, though most of the time I do it just to play some game.
>>
>>53618616
Because I wanted to try something new and because I can customize it to look similar to OSX.

Partially on thread but could you guys recommend me a Linux distru for my granny, who never used a PC ... or anything more modern than a fat ass TV in her life?

Something that won't be overly horrible on 2GB RAM for browsing.
>>
>>53618616
Everything I use a computer for works on gnu/linux, but even if it didnt id rather not use malware.
>>
>>53619268
XUbuntu or Linux Mint
>>
>>53619406
Going by good experiences with Ubuntu I am tempted to roll with Xubuntu then, any downside vs Mint?
>>
>>53619473
No downside vs Mint
I'd say Ubuntu is better

I'm using Ubuntu GNOME
>>
>>53619486
Wouldn't GNOME be bit too heavy for 2GB of ram?
>>
>>53619527
Well, yes
That's why I recommended Xubuntu. It runs nicer on older hardware

Just make sure you give her everything she needs and install AdBlock before she uses it
>>
>>53619573
Mhmm, sounds like a plan. Thanks, anon!
>>
I'm gonna build a rig centered around GTX 970 and i5 4460, is the CPU going to bottleneck me in the near future?
>>
>>53619636
Rather the other way around if we talk about vidya.
>>
It started out because I was tired of Microsoft's bullshit. Once I started to use it and adjust it further and further to match my preferences, I started to find that it felt nicer to use overall than Win7, which was my former OS of choice.
>>
Because it's comfy, also hate for Microsoft and Apple so there's that.
>>
>>53619050
>walled gardens, for free
>download our shit or compile it yourself
>firefox is treated the same as bash

meanwhile on windows and OS X

>get the program straight from upstream and keep it up to date on its own schedule instead of issuing system-wide upgrade commands daily
>user programs and the base system are managed by separate tools
>>
>>53618616
>hate poo in the loo soft
>don't want to drop 1.5k on an apple laptop
>familiar with linux cli after using primarily using ssh with unix boxes at work
plus cinnamon is smooth as fuck and looks good mildly riced
>I'm okay with this.jpg
>>
>>53619655

So the 4460 should last me for a good few years, vidya speaking?
>>
>>53619733
linux is a server OS

on servers, your vendor manages all the software for you and every program is a core program
>>
>>53618616
It's a hobby

I go on Windows for anything serious
>>
>>53619868
Unless some crazy new development like PS 5 comes, yeah.
>>
>>53618616
>Are you happy or is it just because you hate windows or osx?

Little of collumn A, little of collumn B. I was happy on Windows 7, older hardware with a lack of driver support in 10. Not that I really want to use 10, but I believe I actually have a valid reason for opposition on top of the usual "it's a botnet" memespam. A little over a week ago now I had Microsoft decide that I was to be part of the most recent batch of forced windows 10 "upgrades." I went to bed with 7, and woke up with 10.

Minor pain in that ass, but I can rollback, right? Wrong. Rollback failed and corrupted my C drive. So, currently I'm pissed at Microsoft. I don't intend to use any of their software if I can avoid it. They fucked me over, and I can't forgive them for that. So yes. I'm using Linux because I hate windows. And yes, I'm actually quite happy with the experience. I've used it for long stints in the past so there's not much I need to learn and adapt to.
>>
File: 1442466357485.jpg (13 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1442466357485.jpg
13 KB, 200x200
>>53620021
>went to bed with 7, and woke up with 10
the one time this is a bad thing
>>
I run Linux on my desktop because I can customize every little thing exactly the way I want it. Like lately I've been accidentally switching the theme on my gkrellm by hitting page up over it. There's no config option to remap the key, and no way to remove the default theme. So maybe I'll recompile it, make a custom package, and mark it to skip updates.

I run OS X on my laptop because Linux suspend used to suck and I've been too lazy to try again lately. It's fine, but it definitely slows my down compared to my regular Linux desktop.
>>
Because Solaris went to shit.
>>
Linux is kind of going to shit, too. Are we all going to have to switch to FreeBSD?
>>
>>53621595
Actually, there's different flavors of linux out there. The one you use has gone to shitty botnet (ex: default ubuntu)? Go to one that hasn't (ex: Linux mint, Bodhi, ect). The best part about linux is all the options out there that all have the same base so you can switch pretty easily if things get crappy.
>>
>>53621648

Yeah, but all the decent mainstream ones are going in weird directions. Mint would be a halfway decent choice if it weren't absolute ass on security.
>>
>>53621671
>Mint would be a halfway decent choice if it weren't absolute ass on security
It's linux.You are free to edit it, add to it, tweak it, ect. Even un-tweaked Mint with no added safety software is safer than most basic versions of Windows (no extra software) I have ever bothered with. You can also use any Ubuntu-compatible software/patches/ect to make it more safe if you want.
>>
>>53618616
I dual boot. I run Windows 10 for games. I run Arch for everything else.

I also own an old mac that I let my folks use, so they don't get any viruses.

>>53619733
>firefox is treated the same as bash
Windows lets you delete Command Prompt
In fact, by using a linux live CD to switch around Command Prompt and Sticky Keys, you can hit shift 5 times to fire up CMD on the login screen, gain administrator access, giving you full access to the system without logging in. Make a new account, and set it to administrator, and you're good to go.

>You're now aware this exploit has existed as long as sticky keys has, and is still in Windows 10
>>
>>53622125
ok, I need to try this out !!
>>
>>53619922
Nigga what? Use Ubuntu or Arch and this is not true in the slightest. For Debian (an actual server oriented OS), this is very true.
>>
I use linux because:
-don't have to steal it
-don't have to steal software to run on it
-can make copies of an installed, customised and updated system and run it on any other x86 system
-good chance old and second hand peripherals will work ootb
-polished gnome was much better than xp ui back in the day.
-lacks windows stupidity like drivers disappearing when you swap usb ports, invisible ie cache (in xp), clumsy usb dismount, nested menus, nagging popup dialog boxes, dogs breakfast app menu, etc etc ad nauseum
>>
Because of cp ayy lmao
>>
>>53622602
I'll ignore the first three points because they're stupid and irrevelant:

-good chance old and second hand peripherals will work ootb
( so does xp )
-polished gnome was much better than xp ui back in the day.
( who the fuck uses xp nowadays )
-lacks windows stupidity like drivers disappearing when you swap usb ports, invisible ie cache (in xp), clumsy usb dismount, nested menus, nagging popup dialog boxes, dogs breakfast app menu, etc etc ad nauseum

( .. in xp .. dude we talk about windows 10 and we also use it nowadays )

xp..vista.. 7..8.1.. 10
>>
File: win10tan.jpg (285 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
win10tan.jpg
285 KB, 1920x1080
I can't find a distro as fast, beautiful and not over bloated as windows 10 enterprise LTSB.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.