[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SBC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: ytbypzrlmky3qpmntfo4.jpg (59 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
ytbypzrlmky3qpmntfo4.jpg
59 KB, 636x358
How many of you are using these tiny fucks on a daily basis?
What are they even good for?
How thick does your neckbeard have to be to use one of these rather than a proper computer?
>>
>>53617510
First, you have to get a job OP. Then, you have to understand the difference between full PC and embedded PC. See why you don't have a job now?
>>
>>53617510
They're basically low to mid tier smartphone guts without a screen, battery or storage. Only useful for plugging into a monitor and browsing one webpage at a time very, very slowly. Or DIY projects.
>>
>>53617510
>Then, you have to understand the difference between full PC and embedded PC
Give me one good reason why I should be using one over a quad-core Atom nano-ITX board with proper hardware support.
>>
>>53617585
meant for >>53617549
>>
>>53617510
I use an rpi as an nearline long term email storage. It runs fetchmail/procmail/sendmail and dovecot imaps.
>>
>>53617585
You need one for a DIY project or you're buying a fuckload of them for students to fuck around with.
>>
>>53617549
doesnt being a cashiererer count as having a job to you elitists baka
>>
>>53617626
If you can be replaced by some random fuck on the street with little to no impact on your company's performance, then no
>>
Are you too dumb for actual production-level embedded electronics, but smart enough for python?

Are you smart enough for those but making some basic prototypes before you commit to anything that takes effort?

Are you a self-limiting retard that buys "exactly what you need and nothing else"? ("its good for browsing 4chan, and that's all i need to do. i don't w-want to do anything else anyways, i'll just walk over to my desktop.... ;_;", )

If so, you have a use for one of these.
>>
>>53617603
Why do people use these as dedicated servers when you can get more powerful and featureful hardware for the same amount of money at the small cost of a little energy efficiency? Do you live off solar power or rely on an unstable third world power grid?
>>
>>53617604
What if I needed to run a seedbox 24/7 attached to a 4-bay NAS?
Can these tiny shits actually do that without shitting the bed?
>>
>>53617741
Depends on the model. I wouldn't trust the pi zero to do that.
>>
>>53617510
I bought a rpi when they first came out just to fuck around with it. It collects dust now, but I might pull it out to play with elasticsearch. Would also be great at the cottage to remotely control/monitor heat, but the cottage would require a reliable internet connection first.
>>
>>53617790
I'm looking at a Banana Pi M3
http://www.banana-pi.org/m3.html
It's either this or a 4-core Intel Atom Nano-ITX board for about $60 more.
>>
I use them to collect retard money from community colleges which I can write about on my application letter.
>>
File: a83t-benches-e1418412992667[1].jpg (37 KB, 691x402) Image search: [Google]
a83t-benches-e1418412992667[1].jpg
37 KB, 691x402
>>53617860
Those are some pretty beefy specs for a SBC. Should have no problem running as a seedbox.
>>
>>53617986
Then what's a decent seedbox-only model that has a SATA port?
>>
>>53617626
Not elitist you NEET. I design embedded hardware for a living. Try it sometime. Then tell me how you are going to fit an entire desktop PC into your handheld device for less than $200.
>>
I've had my old Pi B running PiAware for over a year now while overclocked to 1ghz with heatsinks. It hasn't skipped a beat and gives me a free platinum FlightAware account which is absurdly expensive otherwise.

More recently I set up my Pi B+ running OctoPi which controls my 3D printer. I was considering running RasPBX on it instead but I don't have any SIP phones.
>>
>>53618014
DESU you might as well go with the nano-ITX because it seems like you will want/need more than one SATA port eventually.
>>
>>53618024
My pico-ITX Celeron J1900 board says "Hi"
>>
Embedded systems. Gangster shit with integrating and interfacing electronics. Too hard for softweebs 2 understant
>>
File: PIC32MX795F512H.jpg (24 KB, 300x258) Image search: [Google]
PIC32MX795F512H.jpg
24 KB, 300x258
I've got a CI20, will be picking up a CI40 at some point, and have pic related in the mail. I don't know if it counts as an SBC as it's just a microcontroller but I will be running a BSD 2.2 port on it (yes, you can run BSD on a microcontroller)
>>
>>53617510
>How thick does your neckbeard have to be to use one of these rather than a proper computer?
You don't use one in place of a proper computer, you use it in addition to.
>>
If/when I get into DIY home auto I'll get some SBC for rapid software prototyping. Keep them connected to a microcontroller when developing/updating, detach when done. Might use some to run NAS too.

When they get more powerful I'll make an sbc laptop.
>>
>>53617510
>How
>>53617510
>How many of you are using these tiny fucks on a daily basis?
Calling Small Block Chevys tiny, nigga you got some nerve. Every who knows cars should own at least one.

>What are they even good for?
Everything, that's why we put them in everything.

Fucking neckbeard ecofaggots, git gud.
>>
File: odeklcegc.png (44 KB, 730x290) Image search: [Google]
odeklcegc.png
44 KB, 730x290
>>53618024
>My pico-ITX Celeron J1900 board says "Hi"
>pico-ITX
>handheld size

What, are you fucking shrek or something?
>>
File: ITX form factors.jpg (154 KB, 1008x338) Image search: [Google]
ITX form factors.jpg
154 KB, 1008x338
>>53617510
Whenever the older laptop that I use as an HTPC finally dies I plan on replacing it with a cheap SBC. Currently have an old CRT TV and don't plan on replacing it any time soon so I don't have to worry about needing much processing power.

>>53622034
>literally the same size as a smart phone
You do know that there isn't just one ITX form factor, don't you?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.