[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Seriously. What the fuck is the point? I'm dead serious.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
Seriously. What the fuck is the point?

I'm dead serious. What the fuck is the point of the smaller iPad Pro? It's a faster version of a tablet nobody complains is too slow for what its OS can do, with an optional stylus.

Is it just me, or is Apple sorta shitting on all the points Jobs' made when introducing all this shit? Keeping the iPad lineup simple for the sake of ease and security of development, and not offering consumers more options than they needed. Jobs' fucking hated the traditional PC Store buying experience where you had to decide what clock rate processor you wanted, and had to deal with a lot of technical terms most people didn't care about.

He wanted benefits, not features. Now, Apple exployees have to say: "Oh, the 10" ipad pro is faster and more powerful than the air." "Oh, so the ipad air is slow?" "Oh, no, it's not slow. Just, you know, the ipad pro is faster." which is the same sorta shit you'll hear in Best Buy when someone wants to know why the $800 HP with an i5 is faster than the $600 Hp with the i3 processor.
>>
>>53610971
Apple is obviously trying to catch fire again with their designs and matter what they do people are still gonna buy it cos Apple I guess
>>
>>53610971
most of the point of apple shit is to show that you bought the latest apple shit
>>
>>53611082

This used to be the case. But these days, with the iPad air changing virtually nil and everyone who cared to be "on the bleeding edge" jumping to the larger Pro, the smaller one has zero niche. In practical stylus applications, 10" makes no sense. The 12" tablet would trump it, and for smaller "notes", an iPad Pro Mini would have been the far better option. But then that'd mess with Apple's stance the "Mini" things should cost less, since a Mini iPad Pro would have to cost a damn slight more than an iPad Mini. So it's not even dick-waving with this model.
>>
>>53610971
I actually want that bike
>>
>>53610971
I figure some want the features of the 12", with the portability of the 9". Though I would wager down the road there'll be a merger of the 9" pro and the Air.
>>
>>53614031

Seriously, what "pro" that would need the iPad Pro, wouldn't want the 12" version? The 12" Version is superior for basically any drawing or technical work, the 10" is still too big to be a hand-held note-taker. An 8" Mini would have been better for a smaller iPad Pro.

There never should have been a distinction. The pro series should have never existed, or should have fully replaced the Air series.
>>
>>53610971
>is Apple sorta shitting on all the points Jobs' made when introducing all this shit?
That's been the consensus ever since he died.

Making an openly gay man the new CEO was a smart business move for Apple because they appeal even more to the liberals, progressives, and LGBT community. But people who look at the products for what they are are seeing a very lackluster offering.
>>
>>53610971
>What the fuck is the point
The point is to make Apple a metric shitton of money

Job well done I say
>>
>>53610971
Better speakers and color and shit for pros
>>
The big Pro is too fucking big and unwieldy.
>>
>>53614132
>An 8" Mini would have been better for a smaller iPad Pro.
agreed, wouldn't fit the bigger battery, probably, though.
>>
I had really high hopes for apple's take on the hybrid machine, was really hoping for something better than current microsoft / dell / lenovo offerings on x86-64 though, not an ipad on steroids, I can't really do with mobile OSs.
>>
File: SUICIDE WATCH.webm (3 MB, 834x835) Image search: [Google]
SUICIDE WATCH.webm
3 MB, 834x835
>>53610971
>iPad
>>
>>53614132
>>53615556
4th gen mini came last fall. The Air 2, purportedly ridiculously overpowered when it came out in 2014 is next in line for update (if not by the 9" pro.)
>>
File: jobs.png (283 KB, 517x498) Image search: [Google]
jobs.png
283 KB, 517x498
>>53610971
>Seriously. What the fuck is the point?
Apple is a fashion company. That's the point.
>>
>>53610971
It's just a rebranded iPad Air 3 you dumbass.
>>
It's just marketing. It might as well be called the iPad Air 3. Same dimensions and weight, as iPad Air 2, same screen size and resolution, upgraded camera, upgraded processor.

But "iPad Pro" is the new hotness so it's called that.
>>
>>53610971
>ugh choices, fuck choices, i remember the days when jobs decided what i liked for me, uhggghhhh
>>
File: CeF8K-IVAAAsJu5.jpg (21 KB, 599x393) Image search: [Google]
CeF8K-IVAAAsJu5.jpg
21 KB, 599x393
>camera bump
>on a tablet
>>
File: Screenshot_20160322-032719.png (127 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160322-032719.png
127 KB, 1080x1920
>>53618458
Please tell me that this is fake
I'm seriously in fear of both it being true and looking it up myself

Also
>2048x1536
Nigga even a Lumia 950 meme has more pixels than this thingy.
The new iPad had already not really that much of a "Retina" Pixel density below 300 when it officially came out in 2012.
Then, 2012, the iPad 4 came out with the same resolution.
Then, 2013, the iPad Air with, again, the same resolution.
Then, 2014, the iPad Air 2 with the same resolution.
Now, 2016, the iPad Pro 9,7 with the same resolution.

So iPad 9.7" Generations 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 use the same Pixel density on an IPS-LCD Display.

>let us loop you in
>loop you in
>loop you
>you
>yo

>y?
>>
>>53618822
It's 100% real, unfortunately.

Also, there's really no point to have greater dpi when you factor in the typical tablet viewing distances and the power you'd need to drive an @3X (or greater) display smoothly. Although switching to something like amoled would definitely be welcomed.
>>
>>53618007

>ugh choices, fuck choices, i remember the days when jobs decided what i liked for me, uhggghhhh

That's been the entire point of the Job's lead Apple. PC/Android suffers from development woes because the environment is so diverse. Making sure software is compatible across a stupidly wide range of hardware makes things either difficult, or inefficient. With Apple, you had a limited hardware set to develop for. Making a mobile app? Only needed to develop UI Elements with certain DPIs in mind. Wanna use an advanced call/instruction that wouldn't be in older hardware? Go for it, because the stores let you limit who can download/install apps by what model device they have. So exclude iPhone 4 or before. Disallow anyone running a First Gen Air to run your App. It's all possible. With PC, if you wanna use a feature a new processor/GPU has, be prepared for a shitstorm from users. Even if you put in a disclaimer, and bake a check into the installer, people will complain. Apple users just know they have to upgrade to use something. PC users will look for excuses and whine about having to update hardware. Android, at least, lets you restrict on models too in the app store.

At least, thats the theory on developing for iOS/OSX. Which Apple is sorta ruining with the massive amount of possible models and options. Bloating things to the point where instead of coming in and being able to get "The newest iPad", you're now forced to make decisions you may not know anything about in the purchase.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.