[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've always wondered, in case you can ask your ISP to give
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: agreed.png (19 KB, 757x243) Image search: [Google]
agreed.png
19 KB, 757x243
I've always wondered, in case you can ask your ISP to give you another public IP address (or just switch ISPs) won't that devalue your current one for future customers?

Since you can theoretically get permabanned from a ton of sites they might've wanted to visit, can the ISP somehow appeal these bans or is that address permanently shittier than the rest he bought?

Is there some legal clause about this in the contract you sign with them?
>>
>>53607201
you overestimate its value
by, like, a lot
a loooooot
>>
Yes this can and does happen, and no the ISPs don't do anything about it. But it helps that most respectable sites and other services don't have permabans and no-appeal systems, for precisely this reason.
>>
>>53607234
How can I when I'm comparing relative values?
>>
IPv6 will fix it
>>
>>53607201
it may devalue the IP for a specific time (maybe even forever if the ban is forever) but anyways, you can just get a new IP by shutting off your router and then back on.
>>
>>53607272
Pretty sure that's not ture for every ISP by default.

>>53607268
>IPv6 will fix it
As well as a lot of other things but it won't happen until things start going horribly wrong.
>>
>>53607284
I never had one where I had a static IP forever (as a normal user). /Germany.
>>
>>53607284
dont forget that an IPv6 address contains (or is generated a bit from) your MAC-address. Ban systems would be so much fun.
>>
>>53607299
Same here, Netherlands
>>
>>53607310
>this spreading this FUD in 2016
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4941

Windows supports it, Linux supports it, Android supports it, GaySex probably too.
>>
For every 1 shitter who gets IPs banned theres 10,000 users using it for legitimate reasons so you'd might as well be asking why doesnt pissing contaminate the ocean
>>
>>53607299
>>53607433
OP here from Hungary. Mine's static at both ISPs I'm at, restarting the router or releasing the address on it does nothing. Doesn't help that my brother keeps "accidently" getting banned from here. At least I have VPNs.
>>
>>53607475
sorry, kinda naive with this stuff... does an ISP know exactly every site one goes on ??
>>
>>53607504
I just want to know how things work often regardless of whether or not it's important in the most common scenario.

Also, if you're that one guy who got the banned address you'll still be fucked at best temporarily.
>>
>>53607534
Yes. If your traffic isn't encrypted then they can see exactly what you're doing as well. After all you are sending your data through their network.
>>
>>53607588

Even the most notoriously abused IPs in the Tor network work for most sites so its a non issue.
>>
>>53607608
Well, exactly as in they know which router is doing the traffic. If you're on a LAN with a lot of other people and the demarcation point is the cable between them and your router then at best they know it came from that network, not which computer/device specifically.
>>
>>53607201
If you email the isp they will send you a form to claim a refund if you are assigned a low value ip but beware, if you are assigned a high value ip they will demand payment

In reality isps Jew customers over for way more valuable things than this op
>>
>>53607694
yes, that is more like what i am asking... I am on Exede satellite internet (live in boonies).. 1 of my friends also uses Exede and his service was temp cut off, reason they gave him was downloading illegal movies.. he is an older guy, i checked his history, he did not download anything... so i became confused on why that ban, is their a mix up in his account number.. and can they tell every site one goes on... I go evrywhere, watch UFC ppv from sites out of the country, click on many a 4chan link, and i have never had any sort of issue... sorry long winded, thanks.
>>
>>53607310
Mac addresses can be changed easier than your ip address
>>
>>53607910
same guy here... just saw thread for dumb questions... i will just move over there, thanks
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.