[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tech hate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: serviceman running in water.jpg (1 MB, 1484x1496) Image search: [Google]
serviceman running in water.jpg
1 MB, 1484x1496
Anyone here hate their work? I hate fucking programming, and I hate having to deal with computers and their autistic shit piled on by different developers. I hate that I'm writing this program in Python and not only is there a whole bunch of syntactic sugar that I've never used before (like list comprehensions), but OOP concepts I learned with Java are now thrown out the window as well like getter/setter methods (unless you wan t to go into them with properties). Then there's the autism of learning an IDE or even worse an editor like Vim, whose auto-complete and documentation features don't even work correctly for Python. I'm sorry but I just give up, you've broken me /g/.

On the other hand I've gotten pretty swole over the last year by going to the gym and am considering joining the military. I can't stop watching movies like Black Friday: Dark Dawn and other stuff about the Marine Corps. I've been working on my pullups and 3 mile run times (which were already well above the minimum) to get in the best condition possible and move up the promotional ladder. Will definitely avoid applying as an officer though since I can't lead people and I don't want to think too much.
>>
>>>/fit/
>>
Have you considered suicide?
>>
>>53606288

This is strictly /g/ related since I'm trying to connect with people involved in technology who have similar feelings as me. I'm not asking for advice on fitness or how to enlist (/k/).
>>
>>53606307

I have but that's actually what led me to the military as an option. Instead of killing myself I might as well have some fun and kill other people while I'm at it (especially third world muslims, which I've grown to hate through my exposure to them). Then I realized the military is actually awesome and their flame of honor, discipline and commitment is the only thing that keeps me going forward through life.
>>
>>53606269
>not only is there a whole bunch of syntactic sugar that I've never used before (like list comprehensions)
>>
>>53606357
>as well like getter/setter methods
Well at least you were right about vim+python = AIDS
>>
>>53606325
Def underage
>>
>>53606357
>>53606375

I'm not sure what you're getting at with those quotes. Maybe you didn't understand what I was referring to. Python has a whole bunch of syntactic tricks (e.g. slicing, list comprehensions, functions like zip() and map()), and things like private attributes and accessor and mutator methods aren't "Pythonic".

>>53606386

You can suck my 28 year old dick.
>>
>>53606325
>>>/pol/
>>
Wow, you *like* getter/setter bullshit, and hate list comprehensions (which is about the most convenient syntax there is)
>>
>>53606269
Hey im having the same shitty feeling, i think I just burned out, I liked my welding job more than this
>>
>bitching about syntactic sugar
>fellating Java

Never actually sat down to learn python and I can still ad hoc it when the casuals I work with request it. Heck I remember working with some physicists and learned the IgorPro script language features as I used them to actually write the data analysis routines no one had written/had been requested at the whims of my bosses.
>>
>>53606567

Good for you, champ.

>>53606492

I like it because it enforces the OO paradigm better. Also variable scope in Python completely confuses me. A variable declared in a method is accessible even after that method terminates. What the fuck?

I don't hate list comprehensions, I though they were pretty cool at first. What I hate is having to learn all these new "hidden" features that make your code more "pythonic" because they're not immediately obvious. With Java it was just Java, there's a set structure and way to do things. What broke me was having to use another module and work my code around it instead of just writing the whole thing from scratch, which would have taken longer but would have been more maintainable. Now it looks like I have to refactor it in part at least anyway.

This summer I'm thinking about getting a logging job. Despite the dangers I've never done a physical job before and this one combines my need for physical work with being outside in nature.
>>
>>53606462
>>>/reddit/r/ShitRedditSays
>>
>>53608291
Logging is about the shittiest job there is. Really low pay and dangerous. Get in with the forest service doing fires. No more dangerous, and pays way better.
>>
>>53606269
I ditched programming for graphic design for similar reasons and I couldn't be happier
>>
>>53606269
Congratulatins,you're not autism
>>
>>53608379

Thanks bro. I'm not doing it for the pay, rather for the stuff.

And despite that I have done a physical job sort of once, it was a firefighting course in rescuing from collapsed structures that lasted a week. My first and only time using power tools, concrete saws, breakers, torches and a nailgun.
>>
how can someone considering joining the military sound this whiny though?
>>
I don't HATE my work, but I'm definitely working towards better positions. I'm just a technician right now, and even though I'm doing roughly the same twenty or so tasks over and over, I do enjoy the people I meet, because I've found some interesting background stories while talking to folks as I'm working on their stuff.
>>
>>53608571

I guess it's after 8 years of working in the wrong field.
>>
>>53606269
>syntactic sugar that I've never used before (like list comprehensions)
So because you haven't used this before, it's bad? Also, pretty much everything above assembly is syntactic sugar.
>getter/setter methods
You can write such methods, it's just redundant. Or yeah, properties, the modern way (too bad Java is still shit in 2016).
You sound like a total retard. A typical Java code monkey.
>>
>>53608291
>A variable declared in a method is accessible even after that method terminates
What the fuck are you talking about? Example? Are you talking about closures?
>>
if you do join the military, please die.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.