[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Picked up one of these fuckers at Savers for $6. What OS should
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: 41HCBx9yOtL.jpg (22 KB, 500x309) Image search: [Google]
41HCBx9yOtL.jpg
22 KB, 500x309
Picked up one of these fuckers at Savers for $6. What OS should I throw on it?
>>
>atom processor
nice paperweight

install
G E N T O O
E
N
T
O
O
>>
>>53598772
Probably just Windows POSReady 2009, the Linux drivers for the GMA500 are still very lacking.
>>
>>53598790
Yeah I don't have 52 years to watch it compile from source.

I was thinking FreeBSD. I've never really messed around with a *BSD distro before.
>>
That's honestly a pretty good pickup if it's in decent condition. It's a respectable typewriter. Whatever distro you end up with, install FocusWriter and you're good.
>>
>>53598772
I had that exact thing. I used backtrack (these were the days) quite a bit on it. IIRC it didn't detect the wifi chip so I used a usb wifi dongle. Linux wifi support was generally shit back then though.
>>
Well FreeBSD is retarded.

>no install instructions
>no good dedicated forums
>"all you need to do is install it and you're done"
>motherfuckers
>>
>>53598772
Puppy linux works with atom CPUs?
>>
>>53598804
Ah, so you're a masochist.

Install Centos.
>>
I just set one of those up for a friend of mine.

put Debian on it. I used Xfce because a normie will understand it immediately, you can use a bare WM if you want
>>
>>53598804
Go OpenBSD then. the power management is better on laptops.
>>
>>53598772
Mint XFCE

Shit works, and works well
>>
>>53598772
Windows 7 starter and a 2GB RAM stick.
1GB its not enough.
>>
>>53598804
> guise i don't have 52yrs to compile meme
> distcc is not a thing

Listen to /g/. Install gentoo.
>>
Slackware.
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-03-21_00-01-38.png (651 KB, 1024x600) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-03-21_00-01-38.png
651 KB, 1024x600
I did the same thing today OP, except with a different computer model. Strange coincidence.
>>
>>53600406
>3.13
that's literally older than Debian Stable (3.16) geez, aniki.
>>
Sell that shit on ebay and get something better. They're going for fairly high prices.
>>
>>53600412
I wouldn't notice the difference, senpai. My end goal is to have this laptop running the absolute bare minimum to compensate for the 1GB of RAM and Intel Atom processor.
>>
>>53600469
>bare minimum
>still has a DE
>ubuntu
>>
>>53600406
Watch out, we will hack you with your name.
>>
>>53600541
>End goal
>End

Try reading, senpai. I'm a noob for now, so until I learn more I can't exactly run things like it's 1995 can I?
>>
>>53598804
>>53600060
Yeah, go with OpenBSD, if it works.
>>
>>53600561

I-I have an ugly name s-senpai...you probably w-wouldn't like it...desu..
>>
>>53598772
lubuntu

it will still be usable for light browsing and libre office
>>
>>53598800
This.
>>
>>53600563
Fair enough. I'd start with a barebones Debian install and use i3wm, it's easy enough to learn.
>>
>>53600591

Yeah, I'd love to switch over to Debian proper. I had one hell of time trying to get this thing just to install Lubuntu. I made several bootable USBs, just to have it get errors. If I installed Lubuntu onto the USB itself, rather than using it to install it, it would boot just fine.

So, I'm not in the biggest rush to install Debian. Every time I've done it before I get almost at the end of installing just to have it fail on me.

I want to get as barebones as possible, while still being able to do basic web browsing. I don't know how much I need to be able to use a client like firefox, or how much would even be functional if I started using a text browser.
>>
>>53601364
>download iso via torrent for file verification
>use unetbootin to make bootable usb stick
Should work 99% of the time if nothing is terribly wrong with your shit.
>>
>>53598772
Good deal, go for OpenBSD
>>
>>53601416

To get Lubuntu to finally work, I had to install it from an ISO (Which I did download via torrent) using Rufus.
>>
I use xubuntu on my 1000H. The old age is really starting to show, but installing Gentoo would not fix that.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.