[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Detachables
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: laptop1_tcm_245_1509537.jpg (17 KB, 347x264) Image search: [Google]
laptop1_tcm_245_1509537.jpg
17 KB, 347x264
Are there any actually good detachables out there outside of the Surfacebook?

To me they are the best of both worlds if done right but I'm not willing to spend $2000 for a Surfacebook to get it done right. A lot of them make dumb design choices like one of the Asus ones where the keyboard dock needs to be charged separately and runs through Bluetooth.

I like the idea of using it as a laptop when I want type a lot and actually do more than just consume media but I like the idea of going from that to grabbing the tablet and using it on the couch and bed.

Any eBay ones I should look at? Looking at the Thinkpad Helix (1st gen) which a Ivy Bridge i7 and cosnidering this Toshiba Click 2 Pro which has a 13" and Haswell i7. A Helix can be had for about $400 used and the Click2 Pro is currently about $550 new.
>>
>>53598099
most of them lack any real hardware in the keyboard and are super top-heavy. get a physical look at a store to see if that's the case.
>>
>>53598159

A lot of the ones in my range aren't in stores or are older.

It's pretty amazing MS managed to make the tablet part of the Surfacebook 1.6 pounds. For example the Click 2 Pro's tablet is a bit over 2lbs and most of the others at 13" weigh around 2.2lbs.

I'll probably wait for 2nd gen Surfacebooks to come out or weight for Dell/HP/etc to try to clone them better.
>>
>>53598099
1.6 lbs is way too heavy for a tablet. 0.75 lbs tops for a tablet IMO.
>>
>>53598966

Even for larger screens where it's distributed across a larger area? How long do you think it will take to get there?

The Surfacebook at 1.6 is a miracle considering it's power.
>>
>>53599036
Doesn't matter how large an area it's distributed across, in fact that gives it more leverage against your hand when you hold it. iPad Mini is already there. Nook HD as well (from 2012). Also most of the current-gen 8 inch tablets meet my weight requirement too.
>>
>>53599161

I wouldn't touch a tablet these days under 10 inches. Why the hell bother with an <10 inch when some phones are 6 inches these days?

Anyway that's kind of the idea of a lot these anyway, to me I'd like mine to be a laptop first and tablet when I want to use it which would be fairly seldom.

I hate having to grab my Nexus 7, realize it's not charged, charge it up, have a ton of updates and shit, nothing translates over.

Compared to working on my laptop, taking the tablet part off, and then finishing doing the exact shit I was doing as a tablet is really appealing.
>>
>>53599386
6 inch phone is a 'phablet' and IMO isn't as portable as a phone should be. Personally I have a desktop PC at home and another at work. I can make short email answers on my phone, which is pretty much the most complex I need to get with my mobile work-related tasks. My Nook HD is great for mobile entertainment when I'm flying or riding a train, and was worth the <$100 I spent.
>>
File: 1442349866042.jpg (146 KB, 1599x1200) Image search: [Google]
1442349866042.jpg
146 KB, 1599x1200
There are not many options.

Only Dell and Microsoft have acceptable ones currently, though I think sony might have one too.

Be sure to note these models are marketed at business class and productive, so have the extra power needed to keep you up to speed especially in such a tiny chassis. Of course, /g/ will usually recommend business class because of its typical advantages.

Your Dell choices are XPS 12 (marketed as consumer tablet/laptop) and 12 7000 precision (marketed more to business).

Dell is wise to see that these flip notebooks are horrible - keeping a keyboard attached simply adds to much weight and bulk! The only way is detachable. RZ4 is the only exception but is not available to filthy gaijin sadly.

Look into that sony one though I hear it is great.
>>
>>53599550

I forgot about the Sony one which looks good, but more in line with a Surface than Surfacebook.

I've looked a the XPS 12 and like it as well - I'm keeping an eye when it goes refurb and cheaper, but at that price range I'd go for a SB.

I also like the Helix, it's a shame they shitted it up in the 2nd gen. Another one of the few detachable that did the tablet part OK and the laptop part well (has a battery, solid hinge, good keyboard/trackpad).
>>
>>53598099
Mid-High end? Dell and Microsoft.
Low end? ASUS.

Avoid everything else.
HP makes decent ones, if you want to roll your luck with coil whine.
>>
>>53599550
Panasonic Let's Note RZ5 is available on Rakuten. Ships internationally if you have the dosh.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.