[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/ jobs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 600x600
How do you get a job out of uni when you're competing against everyone and their grandmothers?

I don't have any connections or friends. And my alumni network is pretty shit too. I took supp courses at Columbia University and NYU (not my alma matters) and was thinking of reaching out to their alums due to that commonality, but I'm too chicken shit scared.

How does a /g/angsta get a job without hookups? How do I get hookups? I've been screwed since December and said I was "consulting" on my resume
>>
>>53596836
jus b urself
>>
>>53596836
you don't. start learning to suck dick.

or just accept neetdom like the rest of us.
>>
>>53596846
this to be quite literally honest family
>>
>>53596846
Cute but I'm serious. I can't get a job and it turns out all the places I apply to have people that get hookups that get the job. I even snapped back at a person who would've been my manager saying that "I didn't get passed along because they better fit the background, I got passed along because you two met at XYZ and gave him that job. Next time at least be honest, don't sugar coat things to your applicants." He apologized later about lying and left it at that.

Seriously any advice? Moving out of state isn't an option. I just need to know how you folks networked to get jobs.
>>
They have my ass cornered this time. I can't very well say no but this doesn't mean its locked it. That firm doesn't hire fresh off the course fools like me. But Hurry the fuck along if you are serious about it.
>>
>>53596836
so you already graduated??
contact your school's career services. they probably help alumni, but don't hold your breath.

just keep applying. dont stop. from 9 AM to 5 PM keep looking up jobs on indeed and linkedin and stuff. if you dont mind starting from the bottom of the barrel, get a job in QA and then move up to a development position after a year or two.

go to meetup.com meetups for programming stuf and whatnot. in my city it's filled with webdev stuff. people recruit at meetups. make some small talk and tell them that you're looking for a database/software dev/qa position after taking some time for yourself after graduation. and have your resume handy in case they're interested.
>>
the one part i dislike the most is writing/updating the resume.

best thing to do is look for job fairs
>>
>>53596895
What is the challenge for you? Getting interviews or passing the interviews?

Did you have any internships/co-op? If not, do you at least have volunteer experience anywhere?
>>
Supp classes? What is that?

If you didn't get a tech related degree from an accredited institution you're fucked. Online certificates mean jack shit.
>>
>>53596895
>finished uni
>no industry connections
you're fucked. reroll with high charisma stat next time
>>
>>53596965
Seriously nigger. Not that shit again
>>
If you left uni without connections or internships, or even friends to hook you up with interviews down the road, you wasted your time and you money.

/g/ jobs are one of the few industries where self-teaching is not only viable, but encouraged.
Going to uni to learn programming or IT drudgery is a fucking scam.
>>
>>53596895
>. I even snapped back at a person who would've been my manager

oh man don't do this.

talking back over petty shit like this doesn't help you at all. it will get you fired one day. i understand you are tired of searching and getting desperate, but dont ever let your emotions get the best of you, especially when the context is employment. it doesn't help you. at the end of the day, you still don't have a job. and that guy definitely isn't going to reconsider your application after your little altercation now.

ill tell you one thing: work is much more political. being cut from the shortlist because of a missed connection, that's small stuff. your boss, your manager, corporate, and the people "upstairs" will be much more kniving. hell, your coworkers can even throw you under the bus at any time. sometimes it will be worth it to stand your ground, but when you're new sometimes you just have to take it, swallow your pride, and nod it off.
>>
>>53596895
Did you not go to your universities career fair??
>>
>>53596973
>Supp classes? What is that?
Supplemental classes
>>
>>53596935
>best thing to do is look for job fairs
this, especially if you come in prepared with a proper cover letter and resume suited to that specific company (basically having done your research already) instead of just "being yourself" like when other applicants underestimate it because it's just a walk-in interview.
>>
>>53596992
Never heard of those.
>>
>>53596983
And I'm not eligible anymore anyways
>>
I got a job right out of uni with no problems. I literally applied everywhere and got an interview and got the job. I don't get how normies think getting a CS job is hard
>>
>>53596836

What did you study and what are supp classes?
>>
>>53597021
I got a degree in Women's Studies and took online classes
>>
>>53597015
Its not out of pocket right?
>>
>>53597040
The irony is that this is actually the way to go these days
>>
>>53597015
if you didn't have any experience at all or anything else impressive then consider yourself lucky fpr having applied just as the company was hiring in bulk.

that's how I got my job too, some place just shut down so the workload in another branch pretty much doubled and they have to hire 10-15 people over a couple months.
>>
>>53596836
question OP

Do you search for jobs outside of your town or even state?
>>
>>53597082
in another post he said
>Moving out of state isn't an option
>>
File: 832yhf.png (112 KB, 375x317) Image search: [Google]
832yhf.png
112 KB, 375x317
>2016
>Getting a job
Sorry anon, you got memed hard. Every job is either outsourced to Pajeet or requires 10 years of experience.
>>
>>53597021
>What did you study and what are supp classes?
CS with thesis paper on AI
Supp classes are all business/finance

>>53596989
>>53596928
Career services don't help. They say I have to apply and contact alumni myself. They don't help me find a job at all. Professors haven't been of any help because they have no industry contacts

>>53596965
I don't get a response from the get go. And when I do, they say they found a applicant that fits what they're looking for. I took a couple of courses on social engineering so I exploited what they've said. I ended up finding who were the candidates and 9/10 times they weren't better than me. They were either at my level or under. But they all got in through a hook up

I'll try to go to meetups but is it ever worth it to an hero? I disappointed my parent and I can't bear to see the sadness on their face that I can't get a job. I don't feel like it's getting better at all
>>
>>53597146
this desu senpai
if you don't want to kill yourself slowly via some ultra-high turnover, dead-end repetitive manufacturing job with zero room for growth, you'll do the smart thing and apply for neetbux
>>
>>53597010
well damn. I don't know what to say anon. If you didn't do any of that then you're up against the majority of other graduates struggling to get any entry-level job.

You might have to look into more general office jobs (i.e. data entry) that may or may not be related to your major. That'll at least give you a foothold to internal job postings within that company, or at least some work experience to put on your resume.
>>
>>53597230
don't put unrelated work experience on your resume
if it's not directly related to your job, you get trashed immediately because it means you have no relevant experience and you're simply grasping at straws
>>
>>53597055
If you want to be unemployed and waste money?
>>
>>53596836
dude I got job without any cs meme degree, I learned from a book in 6 months
>>
File: 1410225101155.jpg (69 KB, 500x242) Image search: [Google]
1410225101155.jpg
69 KB, 500x242
>mfw joined a startup right out of uni and will now hold a disproportionately high position as the company grows
>>
>>53597256
what's your resume say?
>>
>>53597185
>I don't get a response from the get go.
Post your resume and cover letter examples, maybe there's something that can be fixed. Have you tried getting your university's alumni career counselor or whatever you have to help out with that?

>that I can't get a job.
Better to just suck up your pride and go to an agency and get some general labor job. Not good in the long-term of course because it wrecks your body (unless it's a GMP-regulated place like food or pharmaceuticals, then those places are usually pretty clean and easy). It'll be much better to answer the interview question of what you've been doing in the meanwhile and that you're underemployed, rather than answering that you've been just been NEETing it up.
>>
>>53597247
Data entry is pretty damn general though for any other entry-level position, regardless of the field. At the very least, it'll show that you can learn and can be trained to use whatever system they're using. Then they'll just be interviewing you for other shit that can't be trained, i.e. urgency to work (can you be motivated to work overtime basically) and attention to detail.

That said, graduates from every fucking major will be scrambling to get any office job they can get so even a simple data entry job will be tough to get as anything else specific to a major.
>>
>Moving out of state isn't an option

Then that's too fucking bad. You need to get over whatever has got you hung up on your current state.
>>
>>53597185
>I disappointed my parent and I can't bear to see the sadness on their face that I can't get a job.
Go to an agency and get any temp job, you'll at least be able to answer the "what have you been doing in the meanwhile" question that you've had to become underemployed because of the economy or blah blah, but that's going to be far better than just being a NEET for months or a whole year. Everyone know's the economy's been pretty shit for awhile, so just suck up your pride for now and don't be a deadweight while you're trying to find a decent job. No one's going to think you're a loser for working in a damn warehouse with a university degree. That's not abnormal nowadays, blame how easy it is to get student loans.

That said, warehouse work is pretty damn shitty for your body unless you're in a GIMP-regulated company (food/pharmaceutical).
>>
>>53597230
>You might have to look into more general office jobs (i.e. data entry) that may or may not be related to your major. That'll at least give you a foothold to internal job postings within that company, or at least some work experience to put on your resume.
This desu.
I struggled for 2-3 years after uni. Was only able to get temp jobs. Took Data Entry job. Was running their servers after about 6 months.
>>
>>53597185
>I don't get a response from the get go.
don't expect a response from anyone. it's not uncommon these days for 10% or less of your applications to get any kind of response.

i just ended an 8 month stretch of unemployment after being laid off over the summer, and after taking some time to come to terms with everything i signed up for unemployment and got to work. my quota was 3 "contacts" per week, which meant interviews or specific applications. i met the quota every week for close to seven months, and out of 80-something applications i got six phone calls. of those six, four turned into face-to-face interviews and i got two offers. i also got maybe 15 rejections, so you can do the math on how many went into a black hole.
>>
Should have thought about this before you went to a mouth-breathing third tier private school.

But really, just volunteer at places, get some experience, go to conferences and get connections, etc.
>>
>>53597185
>9/10 times they weren't better than me. They were either at my level or under.

it's not just about your skillset, it's also about how well you can sell yourself and how quickly you can establish a rapport with your interviewers, since you'll be working with them for (potentially) many years. i got my first job after graduating at a medium-sized startup with zero industry experience because, as my boss said, i was the most genuine and open person they interviewed out of 10+ candidates despite coming in near the bottom on technical skills and experience.

if you're having trouble getting your foot in the door, find someone who can help spruce up your resume and cover letter. if you can think of something relevant that'll make you stand out, write it down. it's stupid, but set up an online profile for yourself - recruiters gobble that shit up. sit in front of a camera and do mock interviews to practice responses.
>>
>>53597185
>Career services don't help. They say I have to apply and contact alumni myself. They don't help me find a job at all. Professors haven't been of any help because they have no industry contacts
man your university sounds like shit

Mine was incredibly helpful with fixing up my job-hunting efforts. I had a lot of common mistakes like having an objective in my resume or using a cover letter template for all applications. Like does it not have some sort of online career portal at all? That was pretty much how I landed my first permanent job, and had I not gotten that, I would have had to "resort" to getting a volunteer position instead. If not that, does it at least have some annual career fair?

Maybe just look at other universities and see if they have career fairs you can get into as well.
>>
>>53597744
>if you can think of something relevant that'll make you stand out,
This so much. A lot really depends on what kind of questions you ask the interview once you're given the chance.

If you're feeling gutsy, be blunt and ask them if they think you are the candidate they're looking for. Ask them what they think you're lacking, and explain to them genuinely on how you're going amend that. What do they want in a candidate and prove you have that or at least understand why they want it.

They can also be shallow and judge a lot from your body language so mock interviews are more important than you'd think. Record yourself and see if you have any habits that stick out. Pic related was mine and obviously it's not going to look professional.
>>
>>53596836
>don't actually have any /g/ skills
>check local cl, indeed, and career connection board operated by my uni for jobs after graduation last may
>60% of the postings are for codemonkies in java and such
>35% are for CDL's
>5% everything else

too bad i quit my hobby coding thing a few months ago or else I might have a good job by now. Blogging aside, are you even looking? because it doesn't sound like you're looking hard enough.
>>
>>53597862
>A lot really depends on what kind of questions you ask the interview once you're given the chance
ah shit that's right, i forgot about that part. doing research and coming in with a list of relevant questions is HUGE. and not just the standard "what is the potential for advancement" or "what is the feedback process like on this team," since there's a chance the interviewer will cover those points. if you can come up with something that'll make the interviewer(s) really think, that shows a vested interest and makes you memorable. if you can get the interviewers to like you, they might start pulling for you behind the scenes.

i completely botched a phone interview a few months back by compiling a short list of standard questions that had nothing to do with the company, which the interviewer covered right at the beginning. when Q&A time came around, i had nothing. the dude practically hung up on me and i got blackballed by HR.
>>
>>53596836
>not being indian
>2012 + 4
>>
Go on indeed.com and apply to every job that is related to your field. Make a fancy looking resume and submit it.
>>
Industry, dont look for an office, look for industrial jobs. They always need more wageslaves and getting your foot in the door with educational experience they can use will quickly allow you to go from machine slave to well paid supervisor.

Example, last year i started working for a company that makes little fittings with CNC machines, i already knew a shit ton of stuff about using AutoCAD, metallurgy in general and i spend 3 months learning G-code and how to operate the machines i started on. I started at 11$/hr just running parts through a machine, and 1 year later i now program the machines and design parts and get to boss all the other scrubs around making 27$/hr.

It aint hard, just gotta jump in and start learning.
>>
>>53598066
That's not always the best option, especially if you accidentally apply multiple times at the same agency. A lot of places have a quasi-datamining strategy, they just want your name, expertise and the feeling as if they own you without benefiting you at all.

Things like graduate "expression of interest" screams data mining.

They're basically expecting to wait until you actually do get a job then they'll try to pinch you from competitors, if you don't get a job they'll still call you a few years down, but will be like "oh never mind". It's a highly parasitic, anticompetitive strategy.

As all competitions designed by women, it highly favours and advantages people already in front, that is people with experience. Contrary to how they speak, women don't actually believe in hiring based on privilege (ie hiring the most disadvantaged), that's actually just an excuse not to hire white men.

Someone on /pol/ told me only extremely exceptional white men are ever hired, that does seem like the case.

Also, if you're attractive and/or confident, that can backfire hard, especially if you're white and at the mercy of people of the same gender (white women too). Same is true with dropping your expected salary, it can work, but as always, it also signals that you're struggling and desperate for a job and women generally have a low opinion of people who try harder.
>>
Ok OP I'm here, every time a job thread gets made I jump in and offer advice and from what I've seen the results are positive. Or at least it's how it seems to me afterwards.

I'll first talk about the resume, then the interview(s)
here is an example of a resume:

-1 page long (with the exception of references)
the main stuff: name, address, phone
work experience (start with your latest job and be specific, but only with relevant work, don't mention you can fix cell phones when you're applying to helpdesk IT support). from here start to be a bit more generic, and when you get to the final paragraph of your last job you'll mention make a short paragraph without any bullets, just keep it short.
>>
>>53598023
>"what is the potential for advancement" or "what is the feedback process like on this team,"
First one doesn't sound very good honestly, since it's already hinting you're not satisfied with the job they have at the moment and that you're just looking at is as a stepping stone while all the interviewer want is someone reliable to fill that position now.

>>53598066
relying on indeed is probably the worst. After 4 months, I only got 1 interview. You're not going to get noticed there if you don't already have years of experience. Eventually got a job at a job fair (come prepared like you were invited for an interview). Still had to go to an agency and get some shitty temp job for a month.
>>
>>53598557
you forgot to include that each resume always need a summary at the beginning.

Interviewers just want to see right away, in key points, what you have to offer. It'll also be a good indicator that you know what qualities they're looking for with the job, i.e. even your typing speed depending on what kind of office job it is
>>
>>53598605
true, most questions depend on context and reading the situation. it can convey you like to keep an eye on your future and are wanting to stay with the company as long as possible, not just stay in the position you're interviewing for until you're bored and quit. but it can also imply you're impatient and want to move up as fast as possible - maybe even gun for the interviewer's position. every situation is different.
>>
>>53598677

I wasn't finished but I normally include that in the cover letter.
>>
File: images (2).jpg (6 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
6 KB, 183x275
I got the first software developer job I applied for lol
>>
You apply, or just make a linkedin profile and let them come to you.
>>
>>53596836
Internships, wow your coworkers. Real easy to make connections that way. Once you're in, you got nothing to worry about.

I stopped logging into my linkedin because I always get recruiters from HP, Intel, IBM, etc. blowing up my inbox trying to get me on their projects.
>>
>>53596895
>"I didn't get passed along because they better fit the background, I got passed along because you two met at XYZ and gave him that job. Next time at least be honest, don't sugar coat things to your applicants

Lol you fucking autist

getting a job means sucking corporate dick no matter what, get used to it
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.