[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why do computers slow down over time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: 1302183848187.jpg (126 KB, 720x672) Image search: [Google]
1302183848187.jpg
126 KB, 720x672
why do computers slow down over time?
my laptop is from 2009 and it's getting so fucking slow.
it was much faster brand new and im not doing anything other than the most basic of tasks

is it a harddrive issue or an OS issue? or both?
pls halp
>>
>>53579298
Its simple.

Small files build up over time thus causing reads to take longer.

Applications become more intensive as stronger components that can handle it are released.

Your HDD is getting errors.
>>
All hardware has a limited lifespan. It also helps to reinstall and wipe all unnecessary shit once in a while.
>>
>>53579330
i was thinking of getting an ssd
should i clone and install or redo everything and go with a fresh install?
>>
>>53579298
>ad ware
>Mal ware
>dusty cpu fan, overheating cpu
>not defragging
>>
File: 1426998818248.png (93 KB, 245x289) Image search: [Google]
1426998818248.png
93 KB, 245x289
delete system 32 :-)
>>
>>53579330
Sections become damaged (Ghosted)

>Even the physical motherboard starts being degraded by electrical denigration.
CPUs become to open up more allowing oxygen to enter into high heat circuits and then the energy being sent through at high hurts charges the oxygen which becomes like water on metal.
>>
can anyone point me in the right direction? i'll read up on things if anyone has a good link to an article. tyring to get back into tech
>>
>>53579401
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=3tHMBQAAQBAJ&pg=PA185&lpg=PA185&dq=cpu+degeneration&source=bl&ots=5UonqeE7KF&sig=0-nPRxcKfXyWdbr_R96gPbUgX1k&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiQ8Zfe_83LAhUjJqYKHcKQC28Q6AEIRTAG#v=onepage&q=cpu%20degeneration&f=false

Sorry, it has something to do with the breakdown on the chips due to the extra air being allowed to ether dry CPU internals.

The walls of the CPU are worn by the energized oxygen which begins to make bonds with the walls.
>>
File: Untitled.png (34 KB, 1359x475) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
34 KB, 1359x475
>>53579355
I actually am doing that right this very minute.

I wonder if the power of 2 is exaggerated...
>>
>>53579298
Primarily disk fragmentation and increased registry/process count.

If you haven't defragged for a while, do so.

If that doesn't help significantly, reinstall to clear out all those shitty update services you don't use and all the shitty outdated listings and registrations that all programs have to wade through to find what they need.
>>
>>53579481
>MiB

Don't you fucking forget the conversation. I fucking hate people who think MiB is the same as MB.
>>
>>53579485
i have win7 and it is set to defrag automatically
who knows if it acutally does.
i think all the software is probably clogging it up

while we're at it, what antivirus should i use? im sick of being a newfag when it comes to computers
>>
>>53579485
>If you haven't defragged for a while, do so.

This is one reason to get an SSD. Not being a shil btw.

The HDD also suffers from dead sections and sometimes even writes ghost files (Files that never have enough or any space to be over writing).

http://superuser.com/questions/440338/why-does-performance-of-a-regular-hard-drive-decrease-over-the-duration-of-a-ben
>>
>>53579347
Hardware generally fails spontaneously, I have plenty of systems a number of decades old that are fine. Slowdown over is mostly Windows and PEBCAK.
>>
File: ss (2016-03-20 at 01.34.44).png (952 B, 165x41) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-03-20 at 01.34.44).png
952 B, 165x41
How'd i do?
>>
>>53579355
fresh install
>>
>>53579546
Comodo if free. Eset is paid (or pirated)
Defraging won't really make your win install last forever. Every few years you should just format, that's the only real way to get rid of all the bloat accumulated over the time.
If you want stable operating system that will not shit itself over time then install jen2.
Also reapply thermal paste on cpu and gpu, dust all fans etc.
>>
>>53579298
Registry.

OSX and Loonix barely experience slow downs over time, unless you install a newer, more tasking version.
>>
>>53579505
Doesn't matter as long as the sectors align to 4096... well, I think you can do 2048, but I like 4096.
>>
>>53579546
>i have win7 and it is set to defrag automatically
Same, but for some reason it never actually does. I'd just do it manually once in a while
>>
>>53579779
guess it can't hurt

what should i do about registery? i hear that slows winblows down over time
>>
>>53579761
modern gparted can align to MiB, so there's little room for confusion
>>
>2009
>laptop

Put an SSD in it. Problem temporarily solvered.
>>
>>53580335
do i just clone my drive then?
>>
>>53580363
No, you fresh install you mongoloid.

Also Avira is one of the top free Antiviruses.
>>
>>53580487
im not sure i can, toshiba didn't give me any OS disc when i bought it. i might have some other thing that came with it. i'll have to check
>>
>>53579347
get a $150 laptop for simple web browsing and stuff
>>
>>53579298
Bitrot
>>
Software gets shittier. You get more software. I blame the majority of speed issues on terrible CPU/disk-eating background programs.
>>
>>53579298
iPhones slow deliberately because of autoinstalled bloat ware designed to entice you into buying the latest iFuck.

My Linux machine can operate with nearly all 200GB of it's free space taken up leave only a scant few megs, and it's still running fine. I know HardDrive space is different from RAM, but most computers rely a little too heavily on Virtual Memory, so I'm pretty pleased with Linux vs my experiences with Windows.
>>
>>53579355
It depends.
Is your current install running well and has nothing wrong with it ? Sure, go ahead and clone it.

Does your current install have issues ? Start over.
>>
We humans experience time differently from computers. Each second that we live represents an increasingly smaller fraction of our life. It's why a kid can't wait five minutes for a new toy, but a retiree can wait five years for a bond to mature. Computers don't adequately adjust for this. Their second remains the same while ours shrinks, leading to the percieved slowdown.
>>
Hard drives and bloat
>>
>>53581807
the problem with your theory is that the computers would feel faster over time, not slower, as you become more patient
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.