[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the shit? What happened?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 12
File: Capture.jpg (42 KB, 694x448) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
42 KB, 694x448
What the shit? What happened?
>>
>>53570299
Use antergos, remove the antergos repo if you'd like "pure" arch.
>>
Why don't you just learn to install arch?
>>
Stop using hobby distros.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (11 KB, 424x24) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
11 KB, 424x24
>>53570437
Followed the wiki and a guide to make sure everything was good, then this shit happened.
>>
>>53570329
>using this buggy piece of shit
>>
>>53570299
Carl Duff is Phil Fish of Linux community, that's what happened.
>>
File: 1334765945875.jpg (32 KB, 353x475) Image search: [Google]
1334765945875.jpg
32 KB, 353x475
>>53570476
>mfw I share a board with retards who can't install arch
>>
>>53570717
...and this is why Linux will never become mainstream.
>>
>>53570717
Teach me senpai
>>
File: 1429996162108.png (124 KB, 629x345) Image search: [Google]
1429996162108.png
124 KB, 629x345
>>53570748
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>53570828
No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

Thanks for listening.
>>
>>53570868
I'd just like to interject for a moment. The person you're referring as
Linus has, in fact, done just a kernel for the GNU operating system, or as
I've recently taken to calling it, nothing. Linus is not a programmer unto
himself, but rather another leech in a fully functioning software team made
useful by GNU developers.

Many computer users run his lackluster version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the finnish reject
who is widely popular today is often called a "programmer", and many of
his followers are not aware that he stole his ideas from the GNU system,
developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linus Torvalds, and these people are worshiping him,
but he is just another attention whore in the software world. Linus is an
egotist: someone who wastes resources to develop his knockoff kernel that
you run. Linus is not an essential person in the project and is useless by
himself; he can only function in the shadow of a complete software team.
>>
>>53570944
I'd just like to interject for a moment because ur a faget.
>>
File: 1268859867873.png (34 KB, 300x267) Image search: [Google]
1268859867873.png
34 KB, 300x267
>>53570944
>>53570828
>>53570868
>>
The owner of the project came to the conclusion he was not helping the secret club since this allowed more people to install and use it. Just make an ironic fork where it's the same files but every step of the way you have to solve a riddle to get to the next step. muh Arch way.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (11 KB, 84x109) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
11 KB, 84x109
>>53571133
Well fuck me, I still have the .iso I downloaded some days ago but it's useless since I had to turn off the pc while I was in the middle of the installer.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (11 KB, 80x107) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
11 KB, 80x107
>>53571187
Shit, wrong pic
>>
>>53570476
>he didn't install grub
Dumbass
>>
>>53570748
>he's more worried about OS sales rather than functionality
>>
File: 1451143897182.jpg (924 KB, 1660x1940) Image search: [Google]
1451143897182.jpg
924 KB, 1660x1940
>>53570299
>What the shit? What happened?
People realized that Arch has no real use outside of your mother's basement
>>
>>53570944
>useful by GNU developers.
Hurd
>KEK.JPG
>>
File: 1290680503400.png (13 KB, 523x497) Image search: [Google]
1290680503400.png
13 KB, 523x497
Is it true that Arch actually had a normall installer but they removed it because it wasn't hardcore enough?

>mfw reading archfag posts how they "learned so much" manually setting locales and timezones by copy pasting commands from the wiki and running a script that fetches all the basic packages
>>
>>53570476
Then you did something wrong

Try again but this time don't be retarded
>>
>>53570769
N-no. It's the only thing in my life that separates me from normalfriends!
>>
>>53573165
>decides to leave the windows botnet and move on to linux
>"HUURR DURR WHY ARE YOU USING MINT, FUCKING BACKDOORED XD"
>"UBUNTU IS BOTNET TOO, UNITY IS SHIT"
>"KUBUNTU FIRST BABY'S LINUX LMAO WINFAG"
>"You want arch but you are linux illiterate? NUH HUH, MUH SEKRIT AND ANTI-NORMIE DISTRO IS NOT FOR KIDS LIKR YOU DDDX"
This is why linuxfags are the cancer, no matter what, they will always complain and bitch about how their distro is superior than the others. Instead of trying to help you move to the so called superior os, they keep mocking you and shitting on you for using something that they don't like. /g/ is the worst fucking board, I don't even know why I keep browsing this shithole full of winbabbies, loonuxfags, and desktop pedos.
>>
File: 1454861275328.gif (1 MB, 320x213) Image search: [Google]
1454861275328.gif
1 MB, 320x213
>>53572299
>>53572345
Developer got mad at some dude saying his project was broken.

Went on a ban wave and removed the project.
>>
>>53572345
They removed it because arch changes things a lot and it's difficult for a generic installer to keep up.

Just don't worry about arch, it's fundamentally broken these days anyway. It was nice for a while but lately its devs don't seem to give a shit about testing anything.
>>
>>53574485
I am curious on what the criteria is for it to be broken. Not like I would have made this but if I did I wouldn't have taken any input on it from any arch user since they would say to not use it because muh club. I want to see what obscure pointless thing it doesn't do that nobody gives a shit about anyway that he said was super important only to be le contrarian and point out the one thing it doesn't do.
>>
>>53570463
>>53570463
This
>>
>>53570482
if you say that antergos is bugged you're only admitting that arch is garbage.
>>
>>53573271
I assure you only obscure distro spergs (gentoo, slack, arch) do this, they are so vocal they make the board seem like that's all there is for linux. Most of the mainstream distros on the weekdays are not present since they're at their jobs
>>
File: 1420652793-5734-crying-baby[1].jpg (16 KB, 394x344) Image search: [Google]
1420652793-5734-crying-baby[1].jpg
16 KB, 394x344
>>53570748
>waah linux so hard for a dumbass like me
>muh cyberbullying
git gud and lurk moar newfaggot
>>
>>53573271
Nobody says any of those here on /g/ you quoted.
You came from reddit a few days, you're quite new here, so don't fucking talk shit like you know something. Just don't, keep lurking, read our wikis and you might learn something other than throwing epik memes and burns like you see on /r/4chan
>>
File: 1458156824605.jpg (333 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1458156824605.jpg
333 KB, 720x720
>>53575471
They're not "obscure distro spergs". Arch is used a lot and is a reference on terms of documentation, while gentoo has a mature community comparable to Debian.

If the guy you replied to bothered checking the catalog, he'd know about /flt/. If he lurked moar instead of complaining, then he wouldn't have issues.

The problem isn't with the board, it's with him.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.